JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And the "public opinion" ship has sailed. The culture gap is too big between King/Pierce counties (the deciders)and the rest of the state to let the rights of the people in Kettle Falls depend on the whims of the people in Seattle.

For accuracy's sake, there were 13 counties that passed 594, not 2.

Here is the result map: <broken link removed>

We've all seen news accounts of things done by gun rights supporters in different parts of the country that were portrayed negatively by the media. Some of them even made us cringe or wish they hadn't done it "quite that way" even if their actions were perfectly legal.

Presenting our concerns in ways that are favorable to the public's perception obviously includes calm, reasoned, informed and rational behavior. The ultra-liberal media in this state will be watching for anything they can hand Bloomberg and the anti-gun crowd. Taking into account public perception is extremely important.

The 594 pushers used huge amounts of money and calculated deception to further their agenda while maintaining a face of reason for public consumption. As underhanded and wrong as that may be, the public will only recognize that deception when they are provided with clear facts in a rational and convincing manner. And when people discover they've been deceived, the backlash against anti-gunners can be very ferocious.

^^^^^^^
Wearing my "collective conscience" hat again:

Gun owners currently hold the moral high ground because practically all can be described accurately as law-abiding gun owners. Openly declaring that "...We will not comply with laws..." plays directly into the hands of the Bloomboogers and their ilk.

Quoting myself: The key word is OPENLY.

Quoting myself: The key word is OPENLY.
You're claiming that wherever the law stands, is where the moral high ground be? I can show you countless examples stretching back through history whether that be 2000 years ago, in the late 1700's, during the American civil war, during WWII or right now with every gun law on the books. My morals have never had anything to do with what any government claims is lawful or right.....

Swore I wasn't gunna get into another forum pissing match but, Taku, you sound like you get "it". Wish we here up north had a few more like you, say maybe around the Redmond area? You are welcome and encouraged to join us at the rally. I do not personally plan on swapping my sidearm with anyone, but I have drawn a line for myself, and my toes are firmly planted on it.

^^^^

gun owners have always been digging their heels in the sand and yelling "no compromise! no prisoners! molon labe!". what has that accomplished so far?

oh, 594. right.

simply ignoring the law is going to turn public opinion against gun owners and simply make people even more eager to vote in favor of those restrictive laws.

understand this - like it or not all your rights are dependent on public opinion. public opinion has created and repealed constitutional amendments! if you want to win elections, legislature, congress, courts, you MUST win public opinion.

if your actions are driving opinion against gun owners and in favor of MORE gun laws, how does that help us? how in any way does that count as a success for gun owners?

stomping your feet and yelling I WANT MY GUN RIGHTS, RIGHT NOW accomplishes nothing except make gun owners look like entitled whiners.

working to change things in legislature, the courts, public relations, is certainly harder and less satisfying work. but it is how we have won in the past and it is where our wins currently come from.

(Seriously) If you could get 5,000 gay non-white people to take up this cause to openly and flamboyantly protest in public, this issue will go our way post haste!!

If you oppose 2A rights then you're a racist homophobe who wants to suppress the civil rights of minorities.

It's the ultimate weapon in politcal PR warfare. :rolleyes:

I'm with Usagi on this. It is time for the strategic game now. And no, it is not "compromise and compliance". Our best bet is with the courts. There is always time for a rally in the future.

I don't see what a December rally, with the legislature out of session, is going to accomplish. WSP already has their marching orders not to incite any incidents or abide any publicity for the event.

I don't like to badmouth fellow gun owners and activists, but if some of the numbers bandied about, like 3300 attendees, are accurate, then I'd say that about 3200 people would have been better served going to the October Westlake rally.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top