JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It will be very interesting to watch the impact of this trend on more remote communities who traditionally do not have too many of these highly paid tech professionals living in their area, suddenly getting a huge in flux of these tech workers.

I sincerely hope this will be a positive change. I know that there has been complaints about Californians moving to places in Idaho and other areas, bringing with them their money and attitude and pushing the wrong buttons. On the positive side though, these folks do bring in a lot of money into the community and that generally means many businesses will benefit.

As a high tech worker, I have seen this in play over the last quarter-century.

"Follow the Sun" has been a mantra.
Engineer to tester ... 8 hours later tester in another part of the world continues ... then 8 hrs later ...
USA EastCoast / WestCoast / Taiwan / India / Israel / Ireland / Peurto Rico / Mexico / Costa Rica

My friend would leave work in Oregon about 3pm, meet his kids, help with homework, make dinner
then take meetings -- -- 7pm Pacific is 11am Taiwan is 8:30 Bangalore India.

This year has just opened up more companies to the idea that it is better to be out of the office
schedule in face to face weeks maybe once a quarter - and not the whole company, just departments.

If you work on a computer, why come in?

These guys have done it forever - why have offices then - a place to meet up. But with everyone having GPS on their phones, that need is mimized.
Realtors, Insurance, Tax / Accounting, Investments, Vacuum sales ;-)

I have been a s/w dev for decades. My very first job as a dev I worked from home in my off hours (my day job was working in s/w QA). I would always get more done working from home - less interruptions. But now with chat s/w etc., I have the client interrupting me too (and the clinet keeps changing their mind about what they want me to do or how to do it) but still I get more done.

Plus now I don't commute 2 hours per day and I am not as worn out from 8+2 hours.

The thing is, if the manager/client is paying attention, it is fairly easy for them to gauge whether you are getting the work done when the work is writing code.

As for working with people halfway around the world (BTDT on a number of projects), communication is key, and if you don't stay on top of it, things slip thru the cracks or people do bad work or don't do work at all. I have had that happens several times.

That said, had several people in the office where they were just as bad - but that was mostly due to bad management.

Right now I am self-employed. Today was a disaster (mostly my fault) and after this I just don't want to work anymore, especially for this client (they are not horrible, but the environment and codebase is just bad enough that I will be very glad when it is over).

That is the good thing about the pandemic; more and more orgs are realizing that they can do remote work - just in time for me to retire after wishing they would wise up. :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope this will be a positive change. I know that there has been complaints about Californians moving to places in Idaho and other areas, bringing with them their money and attitude and pushing the wrong buttons. On the positive side though, these folks do bring in a lot of money into the community and that generally means many businesses will benefit.
Money isn't everything.

e97db700f5ef01382d14005056a9545d.gif

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top