JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, thats a bit different. A bit lawyered up it looks like too. 21g max load on a 62g SS109 with WC844? A quote from AR15.com on that recipe "24.5g's, its really easy on the brass"

Hodgdon has some good stuff but---
Personally, I thought the "format" of the online load data sucked. Juxtapose all the relevent cartridge data and let me peruse the pages for what I'm looking for. I perfer to see the big picture and not be led down a blind path. But then, I'm an old guy that hates most online catalogs since i never seem to come up with the right key words. Their hard cover book is much eaiser to use however if your new to reloading I wouldn't bother with the basics of reloading stuff from Hodgdons as it is primairly sales ads describing how wonderful their equipment is and will leave your head spinning with questions. For reloading how to for the beginner you still can't beat my old lyman manual from the seventies. Though still touting their stuff, it actually gets involved in the nuts and bolts of handloading. But then that was the waining years of when people were still doing for themselves. OK, I'm done!

???

They've dropped the minimum charge on one of my 9mm loads by .5 grains? I have two fat books, and pages printed with notes, in a binder that I reference from when I load. I've never gone all the way to max in any reference, I hope them changing the data and format don't cause a KABOOM on me!!

Last Edited:
Personally I like the upgrade but I still HATE acronyms and always will. I am not one of these types than spends half my life memorizing them and there are so many new bullet styles it is hard to keep up. For instance I was just familiarizing myself with the site and looking at some 9MM loads and one referenced a '9MM LCN' bullet. OK, here we go, what is 'LCN' ? I assumed (correctly) 'L" stood for lead but had to Google 'LCN' DUh, Lead Conical Nose! This has been referred to as 'LRN' forever!! Just a minor rant on a personal issue but I did not find a chart anywhere on the site that deciphers the acronyms and that would help.

nope. not joking. variations between powder lots.

you should always chrono your reloads when loading a new powder lot.

are you?

No, I'm not........I always load toward the lower end of the resources I use. I call BS on the "Various powder lot" theory though! Where does it say on the bottle? Where does it say period, that "This is a new lot of powder hotter than the last one"? I would really LOVE to get a chrono, it's not likely I could get away with setting it up at the club though, and I pretty much gave up on driving all the way to Browns or Memaloose.

I pay close attention to recoil, flash, ejection, spent cases, and will sometimes use factory ammo as a comparison to my hand loads.

I call BS on the "Various powder lot" theory though!
I have a hard time with it also. I have been reloading since primers were .79 a box and have yet to notice any differences in loads using the same powder. While a chrono might be fun and informative I do not see one as essential.

No, I'm not........I always load toward the lower end of the resources I use. I call BS on the "Various powder lot" theory though! Where does it say on the bottle? Where does it say period, that "This is a new lot of powder hotter than the last one"? I would really LOVE to get a chrono, it's not likely I could get away with setting it up at the club though, and I pretty much gave up on driving all the way to Browns or Memaloose.

I pay close attention to recoil, flash, ejection, spent cases, and will sometimes use factory ammo as a comparison to my hand loads.

call BS all you like, doesn't change the hard facts.

manufacturers can change powder formulation over time, without notification.
AA%20powder%20changes.jpg

the same powder can be produced by several different manufacturers. AA2230 is a good example. it's changed manufacturers *four times* in recent history.

it is a well known fact that different powder lots can have different burn rates, which is why precision reloaders re-chrono and build up new loads for every new powder lot. burn rates can differ by e.g. 5% between lots. the easy way to avoid having to do this frequently is to buy 8# jugs.

this is also why different reloading manuals may list slightly different loads. different powder lots contribute to different results.

i view chronographs as essential safety equipment. if you don't chrono your rounds, you really have no idea if your ammo is performing to spec or not.

it's a good idea to log your powder lot numbers along with your reloading notes.
powderlot.jpg

and keep an eye out for powder recalls by specific powder lot #.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070120061201/http://www.hodgdon.com/news/lilgunrecall.php

Last Edited:
the format for the reload data is uninviting and take more time to find loads. I like picking you cartridge. but having to select each bullet size is a pain. They should do a single page display of all loads by round size.

usagi...Realize I'm not calling YOU a BSer. Pretty interesting comparison with the powder lots there! I suppose if I'd been loading with a certain powder, (I like the look of a shiny ball powder), for a number of years, and then one day dumped a load in the powder thrower and it was different, I'd be in a terrible state! "What to do now?"

Mike

I like to purchase powder in lots, epically when after months of work I finally have a load shooting in one hole at 100 yards. I also lot my brass, my primers and my projectiles.
When I get real serious about a load, I weigh and lot the various weights of my projectiles.
I like to know where my bullets are going to be when I touch off a round using my best stuff.
In some guns 1.75'' +- might be just right for pinking a few cans. In this case I might weigh the powder but a few times to proof the weight wile running a few hundred through a progressive loader. Those loads are just for pinking, gun handling and practice.
There is no argument just a few different ways of doing the same thing. I like my way best.
Silver Hand

I use the hodgdon database from time to time. It's also a great way to compare loads you have in a book or get from the Alliant site.. Since you already know what's going into your load it's easy to drill down their menu to find what you need.

Another good use for it is shotgun reloading. Shotgun reloaders often go to the trap club and scrounge through their bins and pick up discarded shells when people don't want them. I catalog and store about 6 different shells, and they all have slightly different load characteristics (Some can be used for buckshot, some cannot for instance)

This site makes it easy to select your shell type (Remington Gun Club or STS Nitro for instance) and see what you can load in the case!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top