JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Couldn't they have gone with the .264 Win Mag?
Just asking, I don't know much about it or the new round.
No - the 264 WM, while I love it much, would be worthless in a carbine.

Dot mil gave the the spec for cailber, action length, velocity and bullet weight. Nothing on the market would meet that spec, so SIG engineered it and did the job as well as could be done.

One thing about the M4 is that it is made by numerous manufacturers to a military specification.

I'm interested in hearing the details of this M5 transition. If Sig is slated to make everything or will they contract their designs to others and or let others make them?

If there are numerous companies making M5s like M4/AR15 the chances of citizens getting into the newer rifles becomes much easier.

If Sig is the only one making them, and they start suing anyone making something similar (which I can see Sig doing) these will likely not go anywhere. If Sig tries to keep all the cheese, I highly doubt the military will ever actually switch to these rifles. It will likely be similar to the Scar where only a handful of military branches get them and that's it.

Considering.......
That it has been reported.......
That it took something on the order of 15,000 rounds expended to kill one enemy combatant in a particular battle (sorry but, I forgot which battle it was)......

Well, the "newest solution" should/could also be more cost effective/cost efficient so that we taxpayers get "the best bang for the buck".

Aloha, Mark

PS.....but then again......

Who is gonna do the cost estimates?

Yeah....there are plenty examples of past problems with estimates and military contracting. LOL.

WAIT, Wait, wait....what is/will our next "possible" enemy be equipped with?

Is it just a matter of "Keeping Up With The Joneses?"

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I saw a video saying the new cartridge needed to complete with the combloc rounds at long distances. So, there already is an available round good for long distances? Seems to me the answer is here somewhere.

I think we should pick our wars better.
The main reason for the cartridge specs is to keep up with Russian and Chinese armor in the shorter barrel, which, if Ukraine is any sign, doesn't seem to be as big of an issue as we thought.

Why upgrade?

Photo is from a stack of photos I found at a thrift store today. I believe it was from a professional photographer's personal stash.

20220703_222653.jpg

Nope.
#1 Why? I am unlikely to "need" another such weapon in my lifetime. Forking over for the weapon, it's double (the 2 is 1 principle), and all the accouterments at this point would be ridiculous.
#2 I don't like the cockamamie non-reloadable ridiculous cartridge of the proposed weapon. Not that I've had to reload many 5.56 cases in the last 35+ years, but it's nice to know that I CAN.
Question: What happened to the idea that lighter ammunition meant the soldier could carry more ammo into the fight or while on patrol?

Last Edited:
The new cartridge would have to be cheaper than .223 for me to be interested in having it. Otherwise it doesn't do anything that other calibers don't already do, especially since I will not be running it at 13" with a suppressor at 80K PSI.

#2 I don't like the cockamamie non-reloadable ridiculous cartridge of the proposed weapon. Not that I've had to reload many 5.56 cases in the last 35+ years, but it's nice to know that I CAN.
You'll still be able to reload the new cartridge, atleast the stuff you'll be able to buy for the time being. The 80000 psi hybrid case is, as far as I know, .mil only at the moment and SIG is working on reloading those as well.
Question: What happened to the idea that lighter ammunition meant the soldier could carry more ammo into the fight or while on patrol?
Body Armor

You'll still be able to reload the new cartridge, atleast the stuff you'll be able to buy for the time being. The 80000 psi hybrid case is, as far as I know, .mil only at the moment and SIG is working on reloading those as well.

Body Armor
Hmmmm "Body armor"- by which you must mean ballistic plates? I'm no expert but seems like a LOT of kevlar material would be needed to stop AP 855 5.56... (Listen to me, actually defending 5.56X45!)

Hmmmm "Body armor"- by which you must mean ballistic plates? I'm no expert but seems like a LOT of kevlar material would be needed to stop AP 855 5.56... (Listen to me, actually defending 5.56X45!)
Yeah the balistic plates that Russia issues with every soldier the ones we haven't seen in Ukraine

Would I upgrade with the Military? [insert your favorite Military joke here] Nope I have no plans to upgrade with the Military. My current rifles/pistols are fine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top