JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you support a UBC Law if there was no information about what was being purchased recorded?

• Yes

• No

• Go bubblegum yourself

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
Before you read further know that I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment and love my guns. I am just curious as to what others thought about this idea.

I had this thought the other day that maybe gun owners would be ok with universal background checks if there was no information collected about the firearm being purchased and I mean NO information even being written down. Just a check to ensure that the buyer is legal to purchase and all that jazz.

EDIT: I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have left in that 3rd option on the poll.

Last Edited:
Careful what you wish for! If I were forced to conseade any thing, UBC would not have any thing concerning the gun, would be a one time deal, Law enforcement would be on the hook to inform the powers that be if there was any change to that status, and there would/ could not possibly be any information on what guns I own or how many I own, or ant restrictions, which should BE NONE! Basically a one time check to insure your citizens rights and that you are not a prohibited person, PERIOD!

I voted no (go bubblegum yourself actually). But the questions I have is who would decide who isn't qualified to own firearms. and why aren't they qualified? How would a failure to qualify be administrated? Should any aliens be allowed rights under the 2A? Who and why or why not? There's just too much "open playing field" available to anyone enforcing a UBC. What I firmly believe about UBC's is that it is a precursor to setting up a national registry. I think terrorism, mental illness, and unfettered gang activity are the roots of gun violence. And we need to have a way to discern who falls within those categories that does not entrust politicians. Money needs to be given (not just collected for by a corrupt government) to increase law enforcement and expanded prison capacity, full support of vetting all immigrants and observing them in a sort of probationary period, and treating all mental illness (again, what's a mental illness and who says so. UBC's are a Trojan Horse.

Voted "no". People need to get over the idea that guns are some kind of magic talisman. They are just "things", and need to be bought, sold, traded and inherited just like all other "things".

Another placebo?
What an absurd waste of time and money that concept is, not to mention the continuation of personal privacy invasion.
Just the fact that a check was done tells nearly anyone interested you likely have guns. After all, that is really the meat and potatoes of the process in the first place.
Absolutely no one in their right mind can be naïve enough to believe those being checked, whether or not "details" are recorded, will not end up on some sort of a list. Especially, dealing with the government.
Already my entire gun collection has been severally devalued to less than I paid, due to the extorted fees levied on said BGC's. I paid 200 dollars for a gun sans background check that is now only worth 165 at the best after deducting the fees. That is highway robbery.
knowledge is power. In todays world the larger the data base you have the more power you have. Even to the point of forgoing accounts receivable to obtain that data base. As an example; several times I have tried to make purchases at some retail business, unsuccessfully, because I wouldn't give them my E mail address. Obviously, having access to me, was more important than my cash.
Three times our personal information has been hacked. Two from stores we used a credit card and once from the department of fish and wildlife being hacked and yet the last time to the doctors I had to sign two forms indicating I understood the HEPA privacy act form I was signing! Really? Give me a break. My banker chastised me for carrying my Social security card in my wallet. Why with that, they can find everything about you he claimed. But our sweet government, requires me to carry my Medicare card which proudly displays my SS#. Thanks DAD!
How brain dead do they think I am? I have no more belief my information is safe and private than I have of winning the lottery. That applies to any and all governments, agencies, or business.
This insidious compromise crap is gonna kill us all.

Are you frickin' kidding me?
I am with @IronMonster : support, NO - tolerate, barely.
First of all, the notion that "no information is collected" is pure BS.
I see the serial number & model information as first an attempt at tracking stolen firearms and secondly a tracking of chain of ownership, much like car VINs. Considering there is already a significant database of serial number / model on firearms from all the BGC tracking entries, if the gun has been exchanged, having a serial number and entering it would most likely identify THE gun being purchased, and at worst case, narrow it down to one of two or three.

Date, transaction number, Y/N

Both parties keep the info. Gun lost and comes up in a crime and the somehow find the owner they ask for the transaction # and date. If it comes back yes. The seller is fine. Honest and untraceable

This whole survey is based on the wrong assumption. It is impossible to do the background check without collecting the data. So UBC = information about the purchase is recorded. So go bubblegum yourself

That sounds like compromise. So I would support it if:

1. NFA was repealed.
2. no background checks for CHL and FFL holders while license is active
3. Background check delays were resolved the same day
4. Background check denials had a avenue for a fast appeal process. Admitted for depression 10 years ago and no problems since then? had a non-violent felony conviction for weed like 20 years ago? etc
5. free. if we are going to spend a trillion dollars building crap in Afghanistan then the background check should be free.

That sounds like compromise. So I would support it if:

1. NFA was repealed.
2. no background checks for CHL and FFL holders while license is active
3. Background check delays were resolved the same day
4. Background check denials had a avenue for a fast appeal process. Admitted for depression 10 years ago and no problems since then? had a non-violent felony conviction for weed like 20 years ago? etc
5. free. if we are going to spend a trillion dollars building crap in Afghanistan then the background check should be free.

I would add to your list this: mandatory jail time, at least 10 years, upon conviction, no appeal, no lightening of sentence, for anyone, with any agency who retains any of that information. Get caught once, 10 years, 2nd time, 30 years. Any attempt by a politician to implement a law to retain this information, immediate loss of position and jail term.

I simply don't believe they wouldn't find a way to save the info. There would need to be very severe and immediate punishment for anyone found violating it, period. Until then, I would not support it in any way.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top