JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you sell to

• NRA member

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • CCW holder only

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Anyone legal

Votes: 64 81.0%
  • whoever shows up in the parking lot

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
I've sold face to face, over the net, and at gun shows. I'll sell to anyone who can legally own a firearm but will sell only to jurisdictions where it's legal to own that firearm.

That being said, I can understand why some collectors would want to keep something in the NRA family...

Give me the money! Actually I don't sell guns, just pile them up in the safe.

I only sell to cpl holders, it gets rid of the whole are they really 21...or 18 for that matter.

Matt

Except in WA anyone who is legally eligible and 18 and over can own a pistol.. the transaction just can't be from an FFL(federally controlled).

If your real paranoid just use the DOL private transfer form and mail it into them.. if you bought the gun from a dealer it'd be registered with them anyways.

Anyone that's legal and looks respectable.
If something doesn't *look* right, the deals off. I turned down one FTF sale on a pistol because the guy there to buy it looked like he was jonesing for a meth hit.

Except in WA anyone who is legally eligible and 18 and over can own a pistol.. the transaction just can't be from an FFL(federally controlled).

If your real paranoid just use the DOL private transfer form and mail it into them.. if you bought the gun from a dealer it'd be registered with them anyways.

Im not paranoid, its a legitimate concern and anyone that thinks it isnt needs to check themselves before they wreck themselves. hehe, but seriously, how do i know they are even over 18?i just dont sell guns period that way i stay clear of it all.

Matt

Bill of Sale
Transfer of Ownership

For $___.__ received, I, (____________), have sold to (__________________)
One (1) ______________ firearm description here, Serial # __________
Any other accessories here

I represent that this _____ is not stolen. I am the owner of the ______ listed above. If it can be shown now or in the future that this _____was stolen prior to the date listed below, I will give the buyer a full refund for return of the _____ and all accessories listed above.

Sold as is.
No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to __________.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the__________.
Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this ________ and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said _______.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document, and acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership and certifies that he is 21 years of age or older. Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual. Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.

Buyer: Seller:
Address:
Phone #:
Date:_________________________

Buyer: _____________________________
Address:____________________________
Phone #: ____________________________
ODL#_______________________________

Hmmm..... lets see,

The Brady bunch says guns should be registered like cars.

OK, I'll sell any car to anybody who holds the cash under my nose.
The only thing I do is notify DMV within thirty days I've sold the car and give them the buyers name and address as the buyer gave them to me. I don't have to verify anything, I'm not a police officer enforcing any laws.

I'll sell any firearm that is legal to sell, face to face to anyone for cash and note the date of sale and their name and address on my personal firearm records. I'm not an FFL dealer and have no legal obligation to keep records for the BATFE.

That said I won't sell to someone I don't like the looks of. Yeah, I know, that's not PC to refuse to sell to someone because they look like punks.

I bypass this whole process, and don't sell my guns. But, for the sake of argument, I will only sell to someone who has a CHL, unless I know the person personally. Bill of Sale is definitely a requirement!

Bill of Sale
Transfer of Ownership

For $___.__ received, I, (____________), have sold to (__________________)
One (1) ______________ firearm description here, Serial # __________
Any other accessories here

I represent that this _____ is not stolen. I am the owner of the ______ listed above. If it can be shown now or in the future that this _____was stolen prior to the date listed below, I will give the buyer a full refund for return of the _____ and all accessories listed above.

Sold as is.
No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to __________.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the__________.
Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this ________ and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said _______.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document, and acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership and certifies that he is 21 years of age or older. Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual. Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual. Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.

Buyer: Seller:
Address:
Phone #:
Date:_________________________

Buyer: _____________________________
Address:____________________________
Phone #: ____________________________
ODL#_______________________________

WOW looks darn close to whats on page two

So over 80% of you have said that you would to sell to "Anybody legal" but since nobody is doing background checks FTF, you're really saying that you would sell to anybody who presents themselves as legal (whether they are or not).

I'm not saying that I haven't or wouldn't in the future go along with the 80% since it is well within how current laws are structured, but let's not kidd ourselves here guys. This approach to private sales doesn't prevent the transfer of firearms to criminals, it just covers us legally and helps us sleep better at night. If we wanted to take a proactive approach to restrict criminals from obtaining firearms through private sales (albeit to a point), we would demand CCW cards or similar.

Of course there are less CCW card holders out there which makes it a pain to find a CCW holder who is in the market for what you are selling within the time period you wish to sell. It's too bad there isn't some basic proficiency and background check card people could get inexpensively from an FFL dealer. Then at least we could keep private party sales off the book and we wouldn't be kidding ourselves about the buyer's supposed legality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't disagree with much you have said, and if your concience trumpts simply being 'law abiding', fine, follow your own law.

However, you shouldn't adversely judge those that simply follow the law.

Remember:
Bad guys are going to get guns, not matter what the 'laws' are.
Making more laws just make Outlaws out of otherwise good people.

Frog.

However, you shouldn't adversely judge those that simply follow the law.

Bad guys are going to get guns, not matter what the 'laws' are.
Making more laws just make Outlaws out of otherwise good people.

Hi Frog, good feedback. I'm not calling anybody an outlaw for doing only what is required of them, but I am calling BS on anybody who pretends that only selling to "anybody legal" actually means they are fighting crime in any way. And just because something is currently law does not mean it's sufficient or well designed. It could easily be over-kill, under-kill or wrong altogether.

In response to your claim that criminals will always get guns no matter what, I don't agree. I think that the attitude of "If we can't do something 100% let's not try at all," is a cop out. I grew up in Oregon and it's a perspective on firearms that I've seen far too much of in the Northwest. It took living in California and New York to experience other firearm laws, and while I think that both of those places are overkill in general, I do think they have some valuable laws that don't impede responsible gun owners. The handgun permit is one of those things.

I'd like to conclude with a quote of my own from Edmund Burke who said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top