JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These guys did. Your Ak-47, RPG, or 50 cal is not going to get you out of this situation.

<broken link removed>

NAIROBI, Kenya - U.S. naval forces said Thursday they've captured five pirates after exchanging fire with them, sinking their skiff and confiscating a mother ship. The USS Nicholas was just west of the Seychelles in international waters Thursday when crew began taking fire from a suspected pirate skiff, NBC News reported. The Nicholas returned fire and disabled the pirate boat, then pursued the skiff until it finally broke down.
The U.S. sailors were able to board the skiff and arrest three suspected pirates. On board, the sailors found ammunition and several cans of fuel, NBC News reported.

A short time later, the sailors were able to take control of a nearby mother ship and detained two more suspected pirates. Mother ships are often used to take gangs of pirates and smaller attack boats into deep water, and can be used as mobile bases to attack merchant vessels.
The <broken link removed> said the five pirates seized would remain in U.S. custody on board the frigate. The Nicholas is home-ported in Norfolk, Va. International naval forces have stepped up their enforcement of the waters off East Africa in an effort to thwart a growing pirate trade.
Experts say piracy will continue to be a problem until an effective government is established on Somalia's lawless shores. The country has not had a functioning government for 19 years.

2_bing.gif

I would probably not open fire on a Navy frigate unless I had at least a dozen modern anti-ship missiles and a secure way to receive the ransom.

Isn't this the second or third time they have gone after naval vessel? I don't remember which other country's navy though, Danish maybe?
Regardless, I get the feeling that when they are doing this that they are trying to goad the allied Navys in to a fight.

This may sound paranoid folks but have the feeling al Qaeda's behind this.

One too many hits from the bong.

Why would someone want to fire on the USN, who are still wanting payback from the USS Cole?

How does that song go?

"I could have let the USN navy Frigate go by.... but instead I was high...."

SF-

Somali Cruises: Pirate-Shooting Safaris Along the Coast of Somalia

Published: August 24th, 2009

We sail up and down the coast of Somalia waiting to get hijacked by pirates. We encourage you to bring your ‘High powered weapons’ along on the cruise. If you don’t have weapons of your own, you can rent them on the boat.

Cabin space is limited so respond quickly. Reserve your package before June 29 and get 100 rounds of free tracer ammo in the caliber of your choice.

We guarantee that you will experience at least two hijacking attempts by pirates or we will refund half your money back, including gun rental charges and any unused ammo (mini gun charges not included). How can we guarantee you will experience a hijacking? We operate at 5 knots within 12 miles of the coast of Somalia. If an attempted hijacking does not occur, we will turn the boat around and cruise by at 4 knots. We will repeat this for up to 8 days making three passes a day along the entire length of Somalia. At night the boat is fully lit and bottle rockets are shot off at intervals and loud disco music beamed shore side to attract attention.

Testimonials:

“I got three confirmed kills on my last trip. I’ll never hunt big game in Africa again. I felt like the Komandant in Schindlers list!” — Lars, Hamburg Germany

“Six attacks in 4 days was more than I expected. I bagged three pirates and my 12yr old son sank two rowboats with the minigun. PIRATES: 0 – PASSENGERS: 32! Well worth the trip. Just make sure your spotter speaks English” — Donald, Salt Lake city Utah USA

“I haven’t had this much fun since flying choppers in NAM . Don’t worry about getting shot by pirates as they never even got close to the ship with those weapons they use and their poor aim–reminds me of a drunken’juicer’ door gunner we picked up from the motor pool back in Nam” — ‘chopper’ Dan, Toledo USA.

“Like ducks in a barrel. They turned the ship around and we saw them cry in the water like little girls. Saw one wounded pirate eaten by sharks–what a laugh riot! This is a must do.” — Zeke, Springs Kentucky USA

The reality is that the engagement was probably done at night and the pirates obviously did not positively identify their intended target... If it was during the day then they are just plain stupid. Light and fast speedboats can be a hard target to hit and with RPG's they can punch some holes in a warships hull. The area of destruction is very limited though. It could start a small fire but I doubt it could do anything major unless an RPG hit the 3 inch gun turret and set off some ammunition. The USS Stark took two Exocet missiles and stayed afloat though it was definitely disabled. Machine gun fire might be able to disable its radar and communication antennas and prevent the frigate from engaging with its 3 inch gun. THis could give the pirates time to get out of small arms range but it would take precision hits and is doubtful. The frigate's missile systems would be pretty much useless in a short range fight. I doubt they even used the CIWS 20mm gatling gun in manual mode. Probably was a straight up machine gun fight with .50 cals and M60s. At least the Master at Arms guys got to have some trigger time. :)

I was on a Frigate from 2004-2008 and our 76mm gun was not the most reliable out there! No missiles aboard anymore, but we did have the .50's and the 25mm chaingun. Definitely not a smart idea to attack any armed military vessel!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...0.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

The USS Nicholas took fire just after midnight from a small skiff, according to a statement from U.S. Africa Command. The guided-missile frigate, which was patrolling west of the island nation of the Seychelles, fired back, chased down the skiff and detained three people on board, according to Lt. Patrick Foughty, spokesman for U.S. Naval Forces Africa.

....But in the dark, the pirates may have mistaken the warship for the many cargo ships that have brought them lucrative ransoms.

Most of these people have not even seen a light bulb or running water or a septic system. Their lives are savage and brutal, whatta expect? Average African IQ is about 70, BTW

Welcome them to your neighborhoods, folks, many are flooding in with the help of church groups and the State Dept :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top