Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Would you let the FBI search your house?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Kimber Custom, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I was watching the news last night and there is a local boy (Kyron) that has gone missing. The FBI has been called in and they were doing door to door voluntary home searches for clues.

It got me wondering if I'd be willing to let the FBI into my home to do a search.

Frankly I'm not sure. I don't have anything to hide or any contraband that could unintentionally get me into trouble and on the other hand I really don't want the government in my home any more than necessary.

How about you? Would you let the FBI search your home for a missing child from the neighborhood?

2. RRooster

RRooster East of Hippyville New Member

Without a warrant, absolutely not!

3. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

I have absolutely nothing to hide, but without a warrant, no way.

4. mr11b

mr11b Portland, OR Member

I might get lashed on for this :eek: but in this situation yes. If they are trying to find a child and letting them in speeds up this process by checking one more house off the list so be it.

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

+1 Any other time, ABSOLUTELY NOT without a warrant, but this situation is different.

6. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

I would let them search, but then again the ATF can come knock on my door when ever they want and i have to let them in. So why not the FBI also.

7. RRooster

RRooster East of Hippyville New Member

In the case of a missing child, I would happily search my house for them while they wait at my front door. I would not let them sidestep my rights though.

8. sprice37

sprice37 Albany Oregon Active Member

No warrant no way. I feel for the cause but the law can and usually will find something that is not to their liking. Nothing here to hide, but none the less.

9. mudflatmike

mudflatmike Lake Stevens, Wa. Active Member

I would let the local police search under those circumstances, but no Feds without a warrant! I've been a LEO too long to believe the FBI or the ATF, trust me, they're not here to "help you"

10. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

No way.

11. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

I wouldn't even let the local police do a search, unless they brought a neighbor of mine, that I knew, with them, and the neighbor said "I saw the kid crawl under your house." Even then, I'd question the neighbor to make sure it wasn't a really big raccoon.

12. 108arms

108arms Eastsound Member

I'm an in the moment kind of person. If there was a search for a missing child going on in my neighborhood I would allow a walk thru by the FBI. I don't have anything to hide. I've worked in search and rescue before as well, so maybe I'm just more comfortable with this than some. I'm also not worried about protecting my rights in this case.

man, thats a sad story. I would go insane if one of my kids was missing. Too many sickos in this world. I guess thats why I stack rounds now.:thumbup:

13. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I wouldn't let them search without a warrant, why would anyone? You as the home owner already know that the kid is not there, so why would you let them in?

If they knock on the door of the person that has the kid he isn't going to let them in so this is pointless.

14. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I don't have a big place so if there was somebody hiding, I would know.

Papers please???

15. yubariver

yubariver selkirk mountains Member

I'd let the local Scout SAR group in, because I know them and they would stick
    to the mission at hand (finding a lost kid). No FBI out of principle tho.

16. jimwsea

jimwsea Vancouver, Washington state Active Member

Not without a warrant. I don't want to start or encourage precedences.

17. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

BINGO!! And we have a winna!

Clues? to what? from whom? You let them into your home and they see ANYTHING they can take you in. No matter how obscure, etc. You let them into the home, gave permission and you bear the consequences.

Even if your neighbor saw the kid climb under your home, they have time to get a warrant to search the home for specific items/people only. It protects you and them. Especially YOU.

18. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

After an illegal search by local sheriff dept when my aunt attempted suicide and they searched and raped the house taking guns and implying my family were criminals for having a pre ban MAK 90 and 1k rounds laying around ...

No.

No warrant. No enter. No way

FBI, or otherwise.

19. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Not without a guarantee that they would not pursue any minor crimes based on evidence in plain sight.

I have nothing major to hide, no drugs, no dead bodies. But I don't know all the laws, and theres a possibility that I am breaking a stupid law at some point in my daily life.

I don't think I'd want to ask them that. So no.

20. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

The thing is, a Search Warrant is specific about what can be searched or seized for analysis, and limited to just what the Judge allowed. If you let them in without a warrant they can grab anything they see and take it away for "analysis", like your guns or computers or discs. They are certainly interested in your browsing history to see whether you might be a pedophile or terrorist!

Law enforcement is not evil, but they certainly consider everyone "guilty-until-proved-innocent." Demanding a warrant for a search emphatically states that you are innocent UNTIL and UNLESS you are proved guilty!

The very idea those cops seem to have about the missing kid being stashed in someone's house without their knowledge is preposterous, and a stupid waste of time. It is sad how they are grasping at straws. Sure, if you have a big farm with lots of disused out-buildings to look into it might make sense. But searching the homes of innocent citizens is just.............unjust......................elsullo :cool: