JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe. I like my car a lot. Don't believe repair places do a very good job, and the thing's never as good as it was before. Maybe a few rounds through a windshield would send "a message".

On this topic, I highly recommend installing one of the (now) inexpensive "black box" dash cams. They range from about $65 to $95 and run all the time your vehicle's running.

Nothing like video proof of what happened once the dust settles. The moments before something happens are the priceless ones, and that's seldom captured by a cell phone-type video.

I use this one, there are others that work well, too.
71bFqQOOQnL._SX522_.jpg

Maybe the little girl twits will think twice next time before they flip somebody off if they can't back it up. Sometimes there are unexpected consequences.
I agree completely! I am NOT in any way supporting the crazy beeotches actions but apparently being 'flipped off' (stupid, infantile gesture anyway) was enough to set her 'off' - and has probably escalated MORE road rage than not if idiots would have kept their middle finger where it belonged.

their
adjective
: relating to or belonging to certain people, animals, or things : made or done by certain people, animals, or things

there
adverb
: in that place : at that location
: to or into that place
There, Their They're Doc

I am fully away of the correct usage of the word. It does not mean I always have enough persistence of mind to get it right.

To answer the OP's question, no I would not have fired. I didn't see anything there that would have made me personally feel my life was in danger. For those girls, that could be a different story. I can say that if she managed to get me stopped and got to my window she would very likely have seen my gun, and that may have ended the whole thing right there. I'm always a fan of avoiding a direct confrontation whenever possible, so hopefully this wouldn't have happened in the first place. But you can't control what some crazies do out there.

Let me come at this from another direction since I did not answer the original "would you fire" question. Unequivocally no, There is no justifiable reason to even unholster a weapon shown in the video. Not only that but if you would have drawn your gun you would have most likely been charged with a crime. Why? Because as a CPL license holder you have not only a duty, but an obligation to deescalate the situation. Since the person in the filming car was the instigator (flipping the bird) no matter what happens after, if she was carrying, she must now find a non violent means to defuse the situation. She is obligated to do so. If the situation escalates and she uses deadly force she would most likely be charged with murder or attempted murder simply because she had many chances to deescalate the situation and instead chose to engage the person. As a CPL holder you must hold yourself to a higher standard, You cannot go picking fights and then drawing your gun ( Where I come from flipping someone off is calling them out, you best be ready to fight. Its no different than screaming F.... YOU at my face)

( Where I come from flipping someone off is calling them out, you best be ready to fight. Its no different than screaming F.... YOU at my face)

You need to get out more.Flipping someone off isn't that big of deal to get bent out of shape.
Kids and people with very low self esteem get bent out of shape over little brains flipping them off.
But maybe I worked in construction too long and with the stint at car sales,where everyone wants to ruin your day so you can't sell,being the boss' son in high school,and being married twice.
I've been called most every thing and not much bothers me any more.Heck most guys get pissed when someone calls them gay.I grab some flesh and they leave me alone real quick.Turn the tables on these kinds
As long as you don't want to get physical or start yelling,then we have a problem.
So as rvtech said,'(stupid, infantile gesture anyway)' don't let being flipped off by some infantile person get YOU in trouble.
Just let that kid stuff go man

OK done with the Old Man lesson

i absolutely would not have shot based on the video. as a concealed hand gun license holder we are to hold ourselves to a higher standard than the general public. that person clearly is out of control and me shooting someone in a fit of rage could go very bad. go back and watch it on mute. nothing in that video would make me want to end someones life. i would be dang suprised if someone tried runnig my truck off the road. theyd have a 36" goodyear tiremark across their hood. now, if the person running me off th road had a weapon and my family were in the car it could end up very bad for them. all im saying is i wasnt in that situation. so, based on the video, no, i wouldnt have shot.

Let me come at this from another direction since I did not answer the original "would you fire" question. Unequivocally no, There is no justifiable reason to even unholster a weapon shown in the video. Not only that but if you would have drawn your gun you would have most likely been charged with a crime. Why? Because as a CPL license holder you have not only a duty, but an obligation to deescalate the situation. Since the person in the filming car was the instigator (flipping the bird) no matter what happens after, if she was carrying, she must now find a non violent means to defuse the situation. She is obligated to do so. If the situation escalates and she uses deadly force she would most likely be charged with murder or attempted murder simply because she had many chances to deescalate the situation and instead chose to engage the person. As a CPL holder you must hold yourself to a higher standard, You cannot go picking fights and then drawing your gun ( Where I come from flipping someone off is calling them out, you best be ready to fight. Its no different than screaming F.... YOU at my face)

And therein lies some of the flexibility in our legal system. She used her car to stop them, that's why she was charged 2 counts of assault with a deadly weapon - she already posed a threat to the life of these girls, and since that threat was present and imminent, I very seriously doubt that pulling a gun would get you in trouble. Add to that that she came to the window - did she have a gun? What about another weapon? The law says you have to believe your life is in danger. I think enough evidence is present here that at least presenting a gun in your own defense would be justified.

I agree it's your responsibility to de-escalate the situation as far as it's in your ability to do so. I think the fact that these girls tried to get away and got the cops on the phone was evidence they were attempting to do just that - but psycho lady wouldn't let them go. Yes it was foolish of them to goad her on in the beginning by flipping her off, but that does not justify the very, very dangerous steps the crazy lady took.

I have to disagree with you. The police charged her with assault with a deadly weapon - that alone would be plenty of justification to defend yourself - perhaps not with deadly force, but I really can't see someone being charged with brandishing for taking steps to defend themselves by presenting their gun.

I was in a situation very similar to this many years ago - I still don't know why the guy did it to me - we had no prior interaction, I didn't flip him off. He pulled up behind me as I was stopped at a red light, that's the first I had ever seen him. We got onto a highway where he started tailgating me - I stayed in the right lane so he could go around. Suddenly he sped past me and slammed on the brakes. I got around him, then h caught up and he came up along side of me and forced me off the road. All I had on me was a tire iron. He got out of his car and I took off again. I had no cell phone to call for help (I didn't own one yet). I tried to direct myself toward the Clackamas County Sheriff's dept., but he eventually broke off and left - maybe because he could see where I was going. I can only assume he maybe thought I was someone else? He had no reason to be mad at me. Just another crazy. And another reason I went out and got my CHL so I could have something to defend myself if and when needed.

Last Edited:
You need to get out more.Flipping someone off isn't that big of deal to get bent out of shape.

Agreed. Just because the girls flipped her off, it is no justification to use her vehicle in the way she did, hence the assault charge since contact was made, and if the girls had not fled, and if she had detained them in anyway, she could have got a kidnap charge as well. It becomes harassment the minute she keeps pursuing them. The minute she starts using her vehicle in that manner and approaching people with an apparent battery in mind, she is inviting trouble. DA's will look at the totality of the situation, and her persistence in following the girls and harassing them right up to when they contact the LEO, is pretty intense.

You do not know if she has a weapon on her either ...just saying.

And therein lies some of the flexibility in our legal system. She used her car to stop them, that's why she was charged 2 counts of assault with a deadly weapon - she already posed a threat to the life of these girls, and since that threat was present and imminent, I very seriously doubt that pulling a gun would get you in trouble. Add to that that she came to the window - did she have a gun? What about another weapon? The law says you have to believe your life is in danger. I think enough evidence is present here that at least presenting a gun in your own defense would be justified.

I agree. Her approaching the vehicle after using the truck to force them to stop is enough in my opinion to unholster and display. That should be enough to convince her to stop.

Maybe. I like my car a lot. Don't believe repair places do a very good job, and the thing's never as good as it was before. Maybe a few rounds through a windshield would send "a message".

On this topic, I highly recommend installing one of the (now) inexpensive "black box" dash cams. They range from about $65 to $95 and run all the time your vehicle's running.

Nothing like video proof of what happened once the dust settles. The moments before something happens are the priceless ones, and that's seldom captured by a cell phone-type video.

I use this one, there are others that work well, too.
View attachment 119310

What is the name of this equipment ?

Kids and people with very low self esteem get bent out of shape over little brains flipping them off.
But maybe I worked in construction too long and with the stint at car sales,where everyone wants to ruin your day so you can't sell,being the boss' son in high school,and being married twice.
I've been called most every thing and not much bothers me any more.Heck most guys get pissed when someone calls them gay.I grab some flesh and they leave me alone real quick.Turn the tables on these kinds
As long as you don't want to get physical or start yelling,then we have a problem.
So as rvtech said,'(stupid, infantile gesture anyway)' don't let being flipped off by some infantile person get YOU in trouble.
Just let that kid stuff go man

Agreed.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, including that you might be an anal orifice worthy of a single finger salute. Assaulting them for expressing such an opinion only shows a lack of tolerance of opposing opinions - after all, you might very be deserving of such a salute - I sometimes am, and I allow that others might think that.

I really don't care too much what people think of me - or at least I like to think I don't care (the older I get, the less I truly care).

Either way, such actions are no reason to get physical in any way.

I also have a philosophy I have adopted; objects (including people) in the "mirror" no longer matter. In short, I put them, their opinions and their actions, behind me - at least as much as possible and as is prudent (i.e., unless I have to deal with them again, in which case, they are in front of me).

This is something I literally do when I am driving. If someone behind me doesn't like my driving (or anything else about me), then that is their problem not mine.

I was raised to be respectful of women, certainly never hit one! However after seeing the perps photo I'm not sure she qualifies!
Intentionally crash into my truck and the LEO's better get there fast.

Seriously, if my family is involved I'm driving to the nearest police station in a slow, safe manner. If she tries to force us off the road I'll defend us as I feel is warranted!

I too have been taught the same way.......... but that was no lady!!!!!
I would have left my CC in the car, got out, told her to BTFU & if she came forward I'd roundhouse kick her in the head and then call for an ambulance to treat me for a blown out back & a dislocated hip.......
I don't play games like this with anyone.

I'm guessing those that think giving the bird is no big deal grew up in the city. I grew up in a town of 3000 people 100 miles from the closest real town. If you flipped someone off you better be ready to suffer the consequences. You did not filp someone off without fully expecting to stand toe to toe with them, if you ran they would catch you sooner or later and everybody knows everyone and everything that goes on. It was understood where I grew up, you don't run your mouth or start sh$t unless you are prepared to finish it. I actually think we would live in a far better world if kids learned at an early age that they could not run on at the neck without expecting the person to stand up for themselves and put you in your place. Saying folks who will not tollorate verbal abuse are somehow weak is a bit silly.

I don't believe (at least in Oregon) there is any lawful requirement to de-escalate a situation. There is only a requirement to not be the instigator or to withdraw from a situation if you were the instigator.

we keep pointing out the victim flipped off the suspect, as if she started it, we need to clarify that she did so in response to the suspect tailgating here. Completely appropriate response in my book. I don't believe flipping off a tailgater is being an instigator.

Regardless, and clearly they were doing everything to try to get out of the situation. The suspect was using deadly force attempting to ram the victims car off the road, I think they would have been justified to present a firearm...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top