JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Its 80 years old, seems to be in good shape. Had it cleaned last year. Would there be any concerns safety wise? Its also has a lot of sentimental value to me, so dont want to have something break and not be able to repair with authentic parts? Any thoughts woudl be much appreciated?

If it were me.....I'd look it over and probably (not finding a problem) shoot it.

But....since it's YOU and you're saying that it has "sentimental value" and all that. Well, YOU can make that decision for yourself.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....

Its 80 years old, seems to be in good shape. Had it cleaned last year. Would there be any concerns safety wise? Its also has a lot of sentimental value to me, so dont want to have something break and not be able to repair with authentic parts? Any thoughts woudl be much appreciated?
I would have hoped that whoever you had clean it would have told you if there were any cracks in the frame or other damage, but
If you still have concerns, have a gunsmith give it a once-over.
Otherwise go shoot that piece of history.

The only problem is the slide is soft. The locking lugs and bolt face were induction hardened, that's it. They were issued to Lt.'s (30 day wonders) with an average expected lifespan of, you guessed it, 30 days, so who cared if the slide wore out in 500 to 1000 rds? The gun is (probably) safe, but take it to a competent gunsmith and have it looked over if worried. If it was mine (mine was made in 1914, WWII bring back), I'd clean it carefully, give it a good coat of rust preventive and put it somewhere safe and look at it. Plenty of good 1911s floating around to risk a "sentimental piece" with wear and tear.

I have a sentimental firearm around the same vintage. After inspecting for any cracks or integrity issues I bring it out once a year to shoot. It was made to be used so it's a way for me to remember the person who gave it to me. Maybe one day it breaks? That's okay...we all have to go someday and we can't take it with us.

You had it professionally cleaned and they didn't mention anything wrong with it?
I'd shoot it, I regularly shoot guns that have 20 years on your's. I believe the oldest gun I've shot was made in 1901, with ammo not much younger.
I'd at least put a mag through it if you're looking to keep it as mint as possible... personally I would shoot it more than that tho.
You've told, now show us the goods.:s0122:

Huh? I shoot three 115 year old rifles a 115 year old shotgun a WWI rifle and couple rifles pre WWII rifles a pistol and two WWII rifles. Not a problem I even shoot some WWII ammo.

Well...I shot it today at wolf creek...about 100 rds. no issues except it loved to kick the shells straight up and land on my head.. The ammunition box I also inherited with gun had dates of 1950's (gun is 1911a1 army addtion made 1941)....about 10 rounds would not go into magazine? They looked like aluminum? but not sure...the brass ones all went in no problem. I was surprised it seemed to kick less than my sig p226 that I also shot right after. I also put a few new winchester 185gr rounds thru to see if it was just old ammo. Same feel, very little kick.

You had it professionally cleaned and they didn't mention anything wrong with it?
I'd shoot it, I regularly shoot guns that have 20 years on your's. I believe the oldest gun I've shot was made in 1901, with ammo not much younger.
I'd at least put a mag through it if you're looking to keep it as mint as possible... personally I would shoot it more than that tho.
You've told, now show us the goods.:s0122:

IMG_5601.JPG IMG_5602.JPG

You can really tell it was well loved and cared for, relied upon to save the life of those who held it in their possession. A truly fine pistol!

You probably already know, but just in case you didn't, the RS Inspection mark is for Colonel Robert Sears. Col. Sears was the the Army Inspector of Ordnance at the Hartford Ordnance District office from August 3rd 1937 - June 30th, 1941. His inspection mark is seen on pistols in the 723000-750500 range.

You probably already know, but just in case you didn't, the RS Inspection mark is for Colonel Robert Sears. Col. Sears was the the Army Inspector of Ordnance at the Hartford Ordnance District office from August 3rd 1937 - June 30th, 1941. His inspection mark is seen on pistols in the 723000-750500 range.
NO I didnt know that. thks for info.

NO I didnt know that. thks for info.

I've been shooting my 1944 Ithaca and my buddy has been shooting his 1918 Colt. Not worried at all. But I will add that we both replaced our recoil springs and put in Wilson Shok Buffs.

The good thing about Shok Buffs is that they do absorb some of the pounding, cheap, and if it causes any issue they are easy to remove.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top