JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slavery sucks but having to have a city inspector come out and give you approval to cut down a tree on your own property does too. If you own a business and the State forces you to require your customers to wear a mask that sucks too. It appears the vast majority have decided the rulers know best and have mostly given up questioning the ever growing list of laws and regs. It doesn't matter which team you vote for because they all love to rule over us.
What you described is managed decline and if you live where there are lots of managers then you will be subjugated. Oregon has had one party rule for over 30 years, unless you established before the commie take over you won't be able to get past the managers. Even then the commies want to destroy all small businesses because small businesses are the middle class.

The sea has turned rough and folks are going to have to figure out how to survive it. Every person has different ways to survive but the managers pull it out from under them. Our freedoms will be folks go along to get along until they give it all up. Enjoy life and live like today is your last. I do but then I am really old so it might be. :s0140:

Can we live on public lands without fear of being fined or jailed?
Let's say you could. How would you avoid inevitable conflicts? If it is truly public land (i.e. open to everyone), what if someone objects to where you build your shelter, plant your crops, get your water, hunt for game, etc.? How do you settle these conflicts? If you establish boundaries, is it public land anymore?

Let's say you could. How would you avoid inevitable conflicts? If it is truly public land (i.e. open to everyone), what if someone objects to where you build your shelter, plant your crops, get your water, hunt for game, etc.? How do you settle these conflicts? If you establish boundaries, is it public land anymore?
I imagine back then it was survival of the winner. As for today there is plenty of public land out there. People seem to get along out there as far as we know. And if we don't know about the ones who didn't get along, I guess we don't know. I imagine you're more likely to run into conflict in the city than out in the middle of nowhere.

In my day you could do the covered wagon routine, buy a truck and travel trailer and move around until you found the life you want. Things were affordable back then and the managers have taken that option away.

I can't see the future but things are being managed like a **** show so it's my opinion folks need to be in a survival mode. Learn to get by and use your talents to make ends meet. Life is good and even in bad times it's better than the alternative.

If you run into a growing operation back away carefully and find a new spot.

Edit: Sticking to the north side of mountains might lower the chances of running into a grow operation.

I imagine back then it was survival of the winner.
So, are you advocating going back to those rules?
As for today there is plenty of public land out there.
People seem to get along out there as far as we know. And if we don't know about the ones who didn't get along, I guess we don't know.
Who exactly are you talking about? Do you mean recreators? Sure, hikers, backpackers, campers, hunters get along out there because there are rules. And it's understood and expected that you follow the rules of your intended use. If you're talking about people living permanently out on public land, I guess I didn't know there was a lot of that going on.
I imagine you're more likely to run into conflict in the city than out in the middle of nowhere.
I'm thinking that it's only the middle of nowhere because the kind of life you're talking about is prohibited. If you opened it up to everyone to exploit without restriction, you might find far more people out there trying it, and therefore have more conflicts. It sounds nice, and I wish it could be done, but there are just too many people around these days.

So, are you advocating going back to those rules?

I imagine we'll get back to those rules if society breaks down. Stand your ground laws would be a good start.
Depends on events. Will the population be killed off with a vaccine? Will the CCP then invade? The new rules of survival, may not be the old rules in the future.

Depends on events. Will the population be killed off with a vaccine? Will the CCP then invade? The new rules of survival, may not be the old rules in the future.
I thought this was a hypothetical discussion about the desirability of voluntraily returning to a hunter/gatherer lifestyle.

I am heading down to my cabin tomorrow for a long weekend. It's not all the freedom I would like but it's a small taste anyways. I will take my seatbelt off once I hit the driveway and I might even drive around the property with an open container in the evening. Hopefully I don't run over any chipmunks but if I do it's going to be hit and run because I am not sticking around for the vultures to show up.

This is a blanket answer to your questions. A human should be allowed to participate in the world to the degree that the person wants to. All humans were and continue to be subject to injury and possible death from other humans, animals, nature and now technology. If I want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet or drive a car without a seatbelt on, then I should be able to, without being subject to government fines. The amount of laws and regulations in this country and around the world are mind boggling. A case could be made by someone for each one of these laws/regulations, that they are for your own good, the good of others or the good of the government.

I desire a life where I can reduce my exposure to laws and regulations of the land.
I have no problem with your motorcycle helmet less freedom. I do object to your next of kin demanding I pay for your quadriplegic continued existence, or funeral expenses. If you want to do the responsible thing while you are exercising your freedom, carry your organ donor docs where first responders can find them while they are packaging your carcass for transport.

I have no problem with your motorcycle helmet less freedom. I do object to your next of kin demanding I pay for your quadriplegic continued existence, or funeral expenses. If you want to do the responsible thing while you are exercising your freedom, carry your organ donor docs where first responders can find them while they are packaging your carcass for transport.
This is an example of why our freedoms are disappearing. Every freedom we lose can be justified by some group for one reason or another. It may be economics as in your example or safety in others. We have become a more risk averse society and with less risk comes less freedom.

Last Edited:
Back to the original question - I would question the premise that hunter-gatherer societies were free societies. Whether it was the clan, the tribe, or whatever social organization the primitive society had, there was always someone in charge. That person could be quite dictatorial, not to mention the cultural mores and taboos that restricted peoples' behavior.

I would suggest instead that freedom was found in the frontier society, where a person's living might be made by hunting and gathering, but not necessarily. It could have been basic agriculture or herding and animal husbandry, for example. In the frontier society one could live as an individual, with the space and lack of social regimentation to live in freedom.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top