JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
John Zerzan (anarchist/primitivist) was a guest on coast to coast this evening. He appears to be in favor of the world population ditching all technology and reverting back to a hunter gatherer lifestyle. That seems pretty rediculous except for the part about the freedom from rule you would gain by living this lifestyle.

Let's assume you could flip a switch and everybody in the world would go back to a permanent hunter gatherer lifestyle. If you hit the switch you would start out living in the area you live now but with no technology and no technology would exist ever again. Essentially you would live like the animals around you. Would you hit that switch or keep on living under the thumbs of governments and all the various corps and orgs that control our lives?

Yes.

Ok....so no advanced medical care, vision care and dental care etc. A simple problem now turns deadly, no anti-biotics, no anti-inflammatory drugs. And bloody well no Nespresso capsule for me to brew a quick cuppa joe in the morning either.

No thanks. Government I can deal with, I can't deal with a low tech lifestyle.

I do my hunting and gathering at this place called Amazon.com where I order whatever I want and they show up at my door step. Life is good. :p

Researchers Gurven and Kaplan have estimated that around 57% of hunter-gatherers reach the age of 15. Of those that reach 15 years of age, 64% continue to live to or past the age of 45. This places the life expectancy between 21 and 37 years.[45] They further estimate that 70% of deaths are due to diseases of some kind, 20% of deaths come from violence or accidents and 10% are due to degenerative diseases.

I wonder if John Zerzan would have made it to his current 78... Highly doubt it.

Researchers Gurven and Kaplan have estimated that around 57% of hunter-gatherers reach the age of 15. Of those that reach 15 years of age, 64% continue to live to or past the age of 45. This places the life expectancy between 21 and 37 years.[45] They further estimate that 70% of deaths are due to diseases of some kind, 20% of deaths come from violence or accidents and 10% are due to degenerative diseases.

Nuff said.
So they live longer than gang members in Chicago.

I don't think the guy understands living as a savage, it isn't freedom but different responsibilities driving your life every day. Survival before civilization made for a pretty short life span.

I don't think the guy understands living as a savage, it isn't freedom but different responsibilities driving your life every day. Survival before civilization made for a pretty short life span.
The key takeaway for me is that the more technologically advanced we become the less freedom we will have. There is little chance of reversing that course.

:s0140: I can just imagine with all the girlie men these days how it would go down. If the west had to be won toady, it would not happen.
To be fair, I think the capabilities of modern men is far greater these days, not just the availability of technology but also the knowledge of science and environment. If the west has to won today, we'll win it easily. Automatic weapons, chainsaws, helicopters, GPS, ATVs, and Internet etc. Makes settling an area on terra firma a fairly straightforward thing to do.

We are not doing that these days however, we're trying to land a man on Mars and settle that instead. So just as our technology has improve, so has our ambitions.

To be fair, I think the capabilities of modern men is far greater these days, not just the availability of technology but also the knowledge of science and environment. If the west has to won today, we'll win it easily. Automatic weapons, chainsaws, helicopters, GPS, ATVs, and Internet etc. Makes settling an area on terra firma a fairly straightforward thing to do.

We are not doing that these days however, we're trying to land a man on Mars and settle that instead. So just as our technology has improve, so has our ambitions.
Unless we have to contend with Taliban.

Freedom means different things to different people. What does freedom mean or look like to you? What are you trying to achieve?
Good question lots of little things and not so little things too. Pretty much anything regarding firearm restrictions, what I can and can't do on my property are big ones. Taxes are a huge thorn in my side. I will give this some thought and post more tomorrow.

I think they are estimating the hunter gatherer carrying capacity of earth to be around a hundred million so a lot of people would have to exit the planet.
That would be 100 million who knew how to survive in such an ecosystem. So a dip to a lot less while the survivors learn hard lessons.

Personally I don't understand the romanticism of such a life style. As introverted and anti-social as I am, I do like a hot shower and a bed without fleas so I don't get it.

Besides, I had an appendicitis years ago that would have killed me in an earlier era so I wouldn't be around either.

Good question lots of little things and not so little things too. Pretty much anything regarding firearm restrictions, what I can and can't do on my property are big ones. Taxes are a huge thorn in my side. I will give this some thought and post more tomorrow.
I want to respond here but will take my time doing it. A discussion on freedom deserves a well thought out response. :s0093:

I like Western medicine and dentistry too much. Got a tooth ache? No problem. Broken bone? No problem. Mauled by a bear and need surgery? No problem.

:s0140: I can just imagine with all the girlie men these days how it would go down. If the west had to be won toady, it would not happen.
beard-meme-13.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads