JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
John Zerzan (anarchist/primitivist) was a guest on coast to coast this evening. He appears to be in favor of the world population ditching all technology and reverting back to a hunter gatherer lifestyle. That seems pretty rediculous except for the part about the freedom from rule you would gain by living this lifestyle.

Let's assume you could flip a switch and everybody in the world would go back to a permanent hunter gatherer lifestyle. If you hit the switch you would start out living in the area you live now but with no technology and no technology would exist ever again. Essentially you would live like the animals around you. Would you hit that switch or keep on living under the thumbs of governments and all the various corps and orgs that control our lives?

No, it's pretty ridiculous all around.

Look at Afganistan for an example. Do you really think you would be free from rule?
I think primitivist are referring to a hunter gatherer time period, like a million or two years ago.

It has proven out that as technology advances we lose more freedom. That is the cost of convenience.

What is "no technology"...?

A wooden self or long bow and arrows is technology...
Flint and steel or a bow drill for fire making....again technology...
The making of stone points....technology...

I do like aspirin...and toilet paper....those are pretty good and useful items of technology.

The over reliance of technology or substituting a piece of technology for the knowledge and practicing of a skill , is not a good idea , in my book.
Pretty sure I don't want to go backwards in time however.

With that said...

I do think that we as humans ain't that far removed from that time period....which may be a problem with the technology we have and how we use it , as well as how it affects us.

And with that said....
Many folks I see today , either in person or via some source of media....
Just wouldn't make it in a hunter - gatherer world.

In any event , in order for the premise in the OP to work...the whole world would have to be on board...
Otherwise , those who do "go back" to a hunter gatherer lifestyle will be overrun and taken over by those who don't.
Andy

What is "no technology"...?

A wooden self or long bow and arrows is technology...
Flint and steel or a bow drill for fire making....again technology...
The making of stone points....technology...

I do like aspirin...and toilet paper....those are pretty good and useful items of technology.

The over reliance of technology or substituting a piece of technology for the knowledge and practicing of a skill , is not a good idea , in my book.
Pretty sure I don't want to go backwards in time however.

With that said...

I do think that we as humans ain't that far removed from that time period....which may be a problem with the technology we have and how we use it , as well as how it affects us.

And with that said....
Many folks I see today , either in person or via some source of media....
Just wouldn't make it in a hunter - gatherer world.

In any event , in order for the premise in the OP to work...the whole world would have to be on board...
Otherwise , those who do "go back" to a hunter gatherer lifestyle will be overrun and taken over by those who don't.
Andy
My understanding was no tools and no fire unless it was created by mother nature (wildfire for eg).

I wouldn't make it as hunter gatherer but it sure would restore a lot of freedoms that have been taken away by governments. Of course you would be subject to survival of the fittest when it came to interactions with other hunter gatherers that you came across and some of the more dangerous animal species. I would miss toilet paper too along with most other modern conveniences. Every time my freedom is eroded from here on out, I will review my lifestyle and be thankful I have tp.

My understanding was no tools and no fire unless it was created by mother nature (wildfire for eg).
If this was what that fella was wanting....
Then NO.
Not for me.

There are many reasons why humans developed technology be it ways to start fires , stone and bone tools , etc....
So no tools and no fire...is unnatural...and false.
In my opinion...that fella who suggests such a "return"...is foolish to put it mildly.

In regards to the so-called freedom of no fire and no tech...
Yep you have freedom...
Freedom to be froze to death....freedom to die of disease ....freedom to starve....freedom to be ate by others...
No thanks.
Andy

John Zerzan (anarchist/primitivist) was a guest on coast to coast this evening. He appears to be in favor of the world population ditching all technology and reverting back to a hunter gatherer lifestyle. That seems pretty rediculous except for the part about the freedom from rule you would gain by living this lifestyle.

Let's assume you could flip a switch and everybody in the world would go back to a permanent hunter gatherer lifestyle. If you hit the switch you would start out living in the area you live now but with no technology and no technology would exist ever again. Essentially you would live like the animals around you. Would you hit that switch or keep on living under the thumbs of governments and all the various corps and orgs that control our lives?
Bunch of BS. We are a pack animal by design. Even when our proto-ancestors were around, they tended to live in groups, with an alpha at the top. You know what that is? That's government. Lone wolfs didn't last long. When the pack wants your stuff, you usually have a choice of felling or dying. Why it does not happen today, is because there is a larger government preventing it. In the days of native Americans and trappers settlers, if you got axed and scalped in the woods, nobody knew and nobody really cared for long. So yea, John Zerzan, go for it... I'll pay you to get the chance to tape it and make a TV show out of it. Right up there with the Flat Earth guy... The end will at least be entertaining.

Bunch of BS. We are a pack animal by design. Even when our proto-ancestors were around, they tended to live in groups, with an alpha at the top. You know what that is? That's government. Lone wolfs didn't last long. When the pack wants your stuff, you usually have a choice of felling or dying. Why it does not happen today, is because there is a larger government preventing it. In the days of native Americans and trappers settlers, if you got axed and scalped in the woods, nobody knew and nobody really cared for long. So yea, John Zerzan, go for it... I'll pay you to get the chance to tape it and make a TV show out of it. Right up there with the Flat Earth guy... The end will at least be entertaining.
I believe the premise of the Naked and Afraid show is pretty darn close to what they are promoting sans the tools and the ability to make fire. That would certainly be closer to living like an animal. I would watch that show more often if it was set up like that and they didn't offer the contestants the ability to tap out and be shuttled off to safety.

I believe the premise of the Naked and Afraid show is pretty darn close to what they are promoting sans the tools and the ability to make fire. That would certainly be closer to living like an animal. I would watch that show more often if it was set up like that and they didn't offer the contestants the ability to tap out and be shuttled off to safety.
Yes, but one contestant can't just kill and eat the other, when he/she feels cold and hungry. There is a government that would punish him/her for that. if we truly went to jungle rules, that limit is gone. See the difference?

oh hell no

with the population as it is, every thing living would be killed and eaten in a few weeks.
Hell, a million years ago you had a good chance of starving to death and that with 6 billion people less to have to compete with.

only freedon you gain would be starving, or being killed and eaten by someone else cause thats what it come down to

Fun subject and the guy lives in a fantasy world he can step out of into civilization at any time he wants.

In the times of the plains Indians who were living the life he speaks of it was either feast or famine with other tribes murdering you so they could have what you have..

How many generations of savages because they could not even read or write a book with the only learning is monkey see monkey do?

Not a life I would choose, especially since I have false teeth now. :s0140:

Plus there is enough women in PNW that already gave up on makeup and haven't shaved legs or pits in ages.... I could not imagine all of them doing so.. That would be tragic for the species.

At my age this ship has sailed.

I've done my time with unshaven saggy breasted earth mothers and all that implies.
No thank you....much prefer recently bathed, closely shaven, lightly powdered and perfumed...

Can't image how fast civilization would break down.

In today's society if you want more freedom you work the welfare state for all it's worth, work off the books and leave your morals and scruples for the more intellectually delicate flowers.

But you guys have a good time.....

Last Edited:
However most Oregon women have the capability of keeping you warm in the winter :s0140:

Solo.jpg

At my age this ship has sailed.

I've done my time with unshaven saggy breasted earth mothers and all that implies.
No thank you....much prefer recently bathed, closely shaven, lightly powdered and perfumed...

Can't image how fast civilization would break down.

In today's society if you want more freedom you work the welfare state for all it's worth, work off the books and leave your morals and scruples for the more intellectually delicate flowers.

But you guys have a good time.....
I think that technology is here to stay and will continue to advance at an ever increasing rate. The AI stuff scares me most.

I would say the best a person can do is to try and drop off the radar and lay as low as possible. You are still going to be subject to laws and regs but you can minimize the impact they have on your life by minimizing your profile and contact with authorities, governments, etc. I think many of the off grid folks are trying to do this but the governments arms are long these days and will continue to reach further into our lives as the technology advances.

I don't think society will ever crash completely. More likely it will be similar to what we have seen in movies (hunger games for example) where the elite will rule over a much larger poor class and the middle class will be pretty well extinct.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top