JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My girlfriend and I are planning on camping next week and have a couple of different areas we are considering. In one of the areas we were considering, the timber company that owns the land announced that campfires are no longer allowed...

Perfectly understandable when conditions are just too dangerous.

I'm pretty paranoid about starting a forest fire so don't take chances. I used to help fight wildfires when I was a park ranger, and had a close call burning slash piles on my family's property a couple of years ago.

The spot we decided on is next to a creek with no trees near the fire pit, the creek is a fire break on one side, and the logging road 25 yards away on the other side is also a fire break. I keep my campfires small and minimize sparks. No fire in windy conditions no matter what.

That being said, I just couldn't imagine camping without a fire.

Abso-friggin-lutely.

No campfires when it is fire danger season - i.e., from about May/June until November - and then only if needed for staying warm or cooking, never for ambience. I am too old to sleep on the ground in a tent, so staying warm and dry means "camping" in a vehicle of some sort - so I doubt I would need a campfire for any real reason.

As it is, I don't need to go camping - I live on a mountain on forested acreage - I don't need to "get away"; I am "away" every day. I have a woodstove if I need a fire to stay warm.

I used to All the time, you can bring a lantern or a couple years ago i got a propane out door fireplace just for this scenario its ul tested and is basicly considered a bbq and the forest service says its legal, ive never had a problem.

Last Edited:
Yeah, done it lots. On two separate multi week wilderness courses the "instructors" or whatever you wanted to call them, wouldn't allow it. If I remember, one night we made one anyway because what are they gonna do? There's a dozen of us and two of them :p

Assuming its warm enough? Would not bother me as long as I could still cook on some kind of stove? Can roast smores and such over a stove so would not mind no fire as long as the stove was OK with them. As DB said I would NOT want to be the guy on the news who started some weeks long damn fire. :eek:

I've gotten out of the habit. I used to be an over the top fire guy, now I never have them if its just me and the wife. If we have an entourage and they want smores, then we'll have one. Not essential though.

Camped many times without a fire, it sucks. A campfire is part of the expierence.....but that said, land owners make the rules and I'm happy to abide by them when the only other alternative is closing an area entirely.

The punk that started the Gorge fire should be in jail right now getting his a$$hole reamed.....

Yes. Without any issues too.

If the potential is high that my fire could be the match that lights up half of the state, I'd gladly go without.

Campfires are not listed in the Bill of Rights.

We spent 2 weeks at hunting camp one year without a campfire as we felt it was too dry. Spent the first week without a harrel stove fire in the tent for the same reason. The first week there, outdoor fires were prohibited, but not a fire in the barrel stove. We did not want to risk burning down our little slice of heaven.

Have done so many times! If you plan accordingly, one can still have a very enjoyable camping experience. Especially with kids.:s0155:

Yup, same here. It's not a requirement.

Since much of my "camping" in decades past was done above treeline on glaciers and rock ledges and such, fires were not even remotely possible.
But if there's a fire ring and it's not hot out and there's no fire danger, then yeah, I'll have a small campfire. But never a big, "white man" bonfire, though.
Bonfires in the woods and/or campgrounds are just poor form...

Last Edited:
At the family cabin, we have a propane fire pit we use for most of the summer. I've never camped and not had a campfire, though. Maybe because usually I camp as soon as the snow is gone, or late in the year during hunting season when it's wet again.

IMG_20180328_165326287.jpg

I love me a campfire... it's almost the only reason for going out, since it's so nice right here in my yard and neighborhood!

Anyway, I much much much prefer to have a campfire, but if the getting out in the woods bug hits me bad, I have gone.

bring some citronella candles & light a few. At least you'll get some relief from bugs. Thats what we do when we camp during fire bans.

When I was solo motorcycle camping I never built a campfire. I just made dinner and then, coffee and breakfast over a one burner white gas colman stove. Lunch I'd get somewhere when I topped off my fuel and water. Campfires are good for sitting around, drinking whiskey, smoking cigars and telling lies though.

Yes, I would camp without a campfire and I have camped without a campfire many times.

I was able to use a small pot to make hot coffee (Cowboy coffee, fresh ground coffee, tea and good instant coffee too.) because it was a different set up. I used it to heat up soups and a can of chili too.

I used a Coleman ultra light backpack stove with one burner using bottled butane. That was part of my MT husband's gear.

I did not use my other two types of Coleman stoves that are larger.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top