Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Would you buy a used "home built" AR pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by cyclesarge, Mar 19, 2010.

1. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

On another forum I saw an AR pistol for sale, with two different mfg's upper and lower. The lower is from a manufacturer that makes rifles but NOT pistols, though you can also buy the lowers separately. So, I guess my question is HOW comfortable would you be in buying something like this without knowing the history of the lower? I personally built an AR pistol, but was confident the guy that sold me the lower bought it as a "receiver" and not as a "rifle" on the 4473, and had never assembled it.

2. SSG

SSG Lane County New Member

Any more..I pretty much have a shoot a gun first before I buy it...so much crap out there...especialy AR15s...

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

If you buy it, get a bill of sale stating that it was bought as a pistol. Another option would be to send the serial # of the lower to the manufacture to see how it left the factory.

My $.02

SF-

4. cyclesarge

I was mostly thinking about from a legality standpoint. But that would definitely be a concern with such a gun.

That's a good idea, I wonder how well this would cover you.

This would only be pertinent in finding out that it HAD been a rifle correct? If it was transfered to a dealer as a receiver it could go any way from there.

5. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I can tell you this any DPMS lower that has a K at the end of the serial number left as just a stripped lower. I don't know if other makers have that.

6. cyclesarge

Is there any way to find out HOW a stripped lower was transfered to the original buyer? I know a stripped lower is SUPPOSED to be transfered as an "other" but that doesn't mean that is how it always happens.

7. GUNNY

GUNNY DAMASCUS OREGON Member

I build lots of high quality ar 15's. I have two rra pistols if you look on the blank side of the receiver it says pistol only, this is because pistol lowers get registered as a pistol, you can re register a rifle lower as a pistol so make sure you ask what the receiver is registered as, if you want to build you're own go to rra they have the new ar pistol it's sweet.

8. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Nothing is "registered" in Oregon, it is just sold as a pistol, rifle, or receiver.

As far as I know, no firearm can be changed from a rifle to pistol (with the thompson contender being an exception), a receiver can be built either way, but once a rifle, always a rifle.

9. cyclesarge

I've also never understood the "pistol only" engravings on some lowers. A pistol CAN be turned into a rifle, so a "pistol only" lower could legally be built into a pistol or rifle. A rifle can only be a rifle (or SBR with the appropriate approval) but never a pistol.

10. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Unless you pay the $200 TAX on a form 1!

11. GUNNY

GUNNY DAMASCUS OREGON Member

YUP i agree with that. good point. sometimes it cheaper to build you're own, thats how i do all mine you get what you want (and dont have a night stand full of AR parts)
    i just built a full dpms 16 inch H-bar A2 for $610.

12. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy an AR pistol.