JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the process of "Decollecting" and have learned that the State of Oregon does not recognize a C&R. I tried to set up an account at the Oregon NICS got a phone message saying that. I talked to some dealers at a gun show I was selling at and yeah, Oregon does not recognize them even thoug I know I had an account with them years ago. Of course I had already made several C&R transfers by then. This came to light when I wanted to sell to someone from Washington two Enfields and we had to go through a dealer who charged him $25 a gun. I am getting sick of Oregon. Maybe we should get the Oregon Firearms Federation involved.

You're about 3 years too late. All this about the C&R was discussed during the SB941 debate back in 2015 - and was heavily discussed on this site. The C&R exemption was presented by numerous people, including OFF - the state told us all to pound sand. So no, OFF or anyone else won't be getting involved in the C&R debate - it's already been settled and I don't think enough folks are impacted by it to get anyone into another fight. By the way, they're no good in Washington either.

Have you ever stopped to wonder WHY FFL dealers in other states, don't like to deal with CA buyers?

YUP, probably because....CA dictates (by LAW) that even an out of state FFL must register first w/ the CA DOJ, in order to sell or transfer a firearm to a California resident. IF you were an FFL, how does the threat of a possible indictment from the Great State of CA affect you? Would you be willing to send a firearm to a CA FFL without first registering?

Then......
How much does that CA DOJ approval (license) cost? Is that even legal......to tax (require a lic.) an out of state business in order to do commerce with a CA resident?

What would happen if the CA DOJ wanted to "protect CA businesses" and required that any out of state sellers of anything (say: a kitchen knife, via a mail order or internet sale) to a CA resident must register first, in order to make that sale? LOL.

But, with firearms.....it's different. Rrrrright?

Aloha, Mark

PS....before someone even attempts to "go there." NO...it's not like the CA requirement for CA cars and smog emissions. You (out of state seller) can sell your smoggy vehicle to a CA resident. However, CA can prohibit it's operation (via: license and registration) without first passing their smog testing. Out of state vehicles (aka: visitors) are not covered (given the exception) as their cars are already lic. in their home states. CA likes "visitors"....tourist dollars. Bottom line: In as much as smoggy cars......you can sell it....but, CA doesn't have to register it.

OK, OK, ok....maybe it is sort of is like the car example. You could sell a firearm. But, the CA FFL will probably not accept the firearm for later transfer to your intended CA buyer (without your out of state seller's FFL first being registered with CA DOJ). Tell you what? Just say NO to CA.
You are mistaken on California DMV rules. (Common misconception) California passed a law saying that any non Cal compliant (Federal) car brought into the state required a 300.00 impact fee to be registered. That law was eventually struck down by the Supreme Court. Many people that paid the fee never received a refund. If you are bringing in a non federal car (grey market) that is newer than 20 years old is when you get into a problem. I import many vehicles from Europe and buy a lot of government/military vehicles. In the days of the 300.00 fee, we used to go to the junkyard and take the emissions label off from California compliant vehicles and put it on our federal vehicles to avoid the fee (there is no vin number on the label) many federal govt vehicles even in California were not California compliant. As to guns, when I changed my residence from California 10 years ago, C&R long gun's did not require transfer via a FFL holder and C&R handguns were exempt from the safety check list. (Only handguns that passed the Cal DOJ safety check can be sold) the problem with the safety check is it only lasted for 10(?) years and was expensive to accomplish for each model (including different barrel lengths) California has lots of bad laws and craziness but let's not exaggerate. The truth is bad enough.

Last Edited:
You're about 3 years too late. All this about the C&R was discussed during the SB941 debate back in 2015 - and was heavily discussed on this site. The C&R exemption was presented by numerous people, including OFF - the state told us all to pound sand. So no, OFF or anyone else won't be getting involved in the C&R debate - it's already been settled and I don't think enough folks are impacted by it to get anyone into another fight. By the way, they're no good in Washington either.
A C&R license is good in Washington and a C&R license is good for purchase of a long gun or handgun if they meet the definition of C&R.

A C&R license is good in Washington and a C&R license is good for purchase of a long gun or handgun if they meet the definition of C&R.

Between private parties? I've been told C&R's won't work for person to person sales, even if they both have an 03.

Between private parties? I've been told C&R's won't work for person to person sales, even if they both have an 03.
An 03 FFL can buy eligible firearms from anyone who agrees to honor his license unless a state like Oregon does not recognize 03 license. Washington recognizes the 03 license. Washington Arms Collectors encourages their members to get an 03 license to make purchasing eligible firearms at their shows easier. Of course the 03 license does not give any special rights if you are the seller.

An 03 FFL can buy eligible firearms from anyone who agrees to honor his license unless a state like Oregon does not recognize 03 license. Washington recognizes the 03 license. Washington Arms Collectors encourages their members to get an 03 license to make purchasing eligible firearms at their shows easier. Of course the 03 license does not give any special rights if you are the seller.

Well that's good to know. I had been told WA, like OR, no longer recognized the 03 FFL.

A bit of a tangent; but here's a thought...

A close friend who owns part of a gun store made a slight change to the name of their business.

They had to apply for a new FFL. Last I heard, my friend was thinking out loud that they may be required by law to ...wait....

Turn in the books that were under the previous FFL.

Question: What do YOU as a customer, think happens to the books when your FFL goes out of business...?

I think the feds get it; but I'm (sarcastically) sure, they respect privacy and resist the urge to look in the book unless they have to...:rolleyes:

Perhaps an FFL in NWFA can give us the details...o_O

I've tried to read sb941, but cannot find any reference to a crime being committed by the transferee. It is illegal to transfer, but he who receives is not transfering. Therefor a C&R purchase from out of state should be Ok, as the out of state person is abiding fed law selling to a ffl (03), and the resident is abiding by fed law, and is not making a SB941 transfer. Anybody show me where I'm wrong (probably am, but I'm not a lawyer)

I've tried to read sb941, but cannot find any reference to a crime being committed by the transferee. It is illegal to transfer, but he who receives is not transfering. Therefor a C&R purchase from out of state should be Ok, as the out of state person is abiding fed law selling to a ffl (03), and the resident is abiding by fed law, and is not making a SB941 transfer. Anybody show me where I'm wrong (probably am, but I'm not a lawyer)

I haven't yet met anyone willing to test that theory.

I actually would agree with your interpretation of it, but at the very least I'd recommend consulting with a lawyer before testing it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top