JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you teach or take a local seminar on reloading?

• Total voters
Reactions
Please take the poll to see how many are interested in volunteer teaching or learning.
There's a pretty good discussion going on over in Ammunition and Reloading section titled Help Me Get Into Reloading.
It made me think, there are a lot of people here who would love to reload, have the capability, but don't because it requires a pretty good investment in tools and there's a lot to learn.
I thought, if there was a seminar to introduce fellow shooters to reloading, would people come?
I'm talking FREE. Sign up, show up, donate to NWFA, meet some area shooters and reloaders.
The group size would need to be limited, by where we are, and how much equipment volunteer instructors can bring.
Most of my stuff is bolted down, and is actually quite portable. 1" plywood is a remarkable thing.

A long time ago, in a NWFA far away, there used to be this guy (or *that guy*) who did just that. In my very aged, addled brain the name JohnH or some such comes up.

It's a good idea for both and a roundtable as well.

elsie

proposed time frame for this?
No idea at this moment. Was just asking if there's interest.
If we wanted to have it during the week or weekend, no matter as long as I'm in town. I figure it's best done as a get-together, because this is knowledge you build upon with experience.
To me, the venue is the one of question. Does anyone have access to a Grange Hall or a VFW or Moose Lodge, where someone would be supportive of gun nutz learning how to reload?
Thing is, there are a lot of members here with extensive experience reloading, much more so than me.
I've invited guys to come reload at my place to learn or just try it out, and no one has taken me up on it. Dunno why.
I think if it's in a public place, more people will be interested in coming, more might be able to come teach, it's a great way for us to get together (not just volunteer weekends), and if we're lucky, we can share a beer or drink afterward.

No funds currently for tools or supplies.

I got a pretty decent education on how to start as a beginner one on one from someone on this forum and it was a great way to learn.

Loaded 20 .308 rounds from start to finish.

Been following that thread "Help me get into reloading", lots of great knowledge being offered there, even for experienced reloaders.

Setting up a class in a public venue sounds like a great idea, perhaps a written syllabus containing all the critical do's and do not's as well as a reloading overview. You know step by step with best practices...

Now for the wet rag part, might also want to consider having those attending sign off on a witnessed liability waiver. Considering injury or death can result from incorrectly reloaded ammunition, liability waivers would seem prudent...

Just sayin'...

I know the Evergreen Sportsman Club in Thurston Co. put on a seminar in the past. Maybe contact them as a possible venue or if they have something scheduled this year. I reload, but small amounts only, single stage press, and strictly rifle calibers. Only about 1500 rounds so far. There are some very serious reloaders who shoot there. Some might even be reading this.:p

Sounds like fun. I voted to help teach and bring components or tools. I have a spare Square Deal B I could set up as well as scales and powder measures and misc., lots of misc.

Bringing people together, lots of good can come out of this including life long friendships.

For those that don't attend spend a few dollars and purchase a Speer reloading manual, it is one of the best And read it the way good Christians read there bible.
I am not pushing religion but this is a science where mistakes can be serious.

Just read the book don't spend a dime more and in a few days you will have a grasp on reloading and have a better understanding of what it takes to get involved at the basement level.

After 40 or 50 years you will still be buying the new improvements that the hobby brings along.

You cannot miss, in fact if you do it right they will all be in one hole.
Try that with factory ammunition.

Wish I were closer to Portland
Silver Hand

Doesn't have to be in a hall. Could use someones shop. I would love to learn and would absolutely go to said event and bring beer depending on said location.

With that said if the group wasn't to big I would volunteer my shop.;)

I daresay that whoever wants to rent the hall mentions that there'll be gunpowder and bullets to make loaded ammunition that said Proprietors will surely bubblegum their pants and not let it happen.....
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You could probably wait till spring and rent a building (roof with no walls) at one of the parks.

I know Lewisville Park charges $50 for the day and you just need to pick one off the beaten path.

If you had enough people then they wouldn't be able to see what you are doing anyway.

Doesn't have to be in a hall. Could use someones shop. I would love to learn and would absolutely go to said event and bring beer depending on said location.

With that said if the group wasn't to big I would volunteer my shop.;)

Lotta folks don't want to advertise their home location but that's awesome you would be open to that:cool:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top