JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
WD40 was originally created to displace moisture, it isn't water-soluable.
It penetrates, lubricates, inhibits rust, corrosion. Magical stuff!
I spray it on my tire chains, in a 50 cal box each spring. No rust or corrosion.

Argue all you want, Soak your cartridges in a bucket of the stuff.
Store them in a dry, cool, airtite ammo box with your preppie stuff.

As you cycle your supplies, report back on how those cartridges function.

4-26-2013
For those who may take my above comments literally,
PLEASE
Don't soak your ammo in WD40.
Or Hoppies #9
Or Safariland Break-Free CLP
Bad for primers n powder.

Last Edited:
a friend of mine was shooting in wet conditions. instead of drying his ammo off, he sprayed about 500rds of steel case .45 with wd40 and stored them in an ammo can. when we took them out to shoot about 1 in 25 failed. I pulled and reloaded all the remaining bullets. in many cases the "oil" had seeped into the powder, it was darkened and clotted together and stuck to the inside of the newly emptied case. In many of those and also many cases with dry powder the primer compound was discolored from the typical light blue, ranging from blue to green to brown. didnt test the primers though . . .

why would ammo ever need to be treated this way?

Lucky, they wern't my Fed Hydrashocks. They were other factory loads. they also had some kind of red sealant on the primers and edge of case. There was actually hardly any oil on the bullets and 13 random rounds fired just fine. I cleaned them off and dumped them back in a new baggy with a desicant bag in ammo cans.

I sprayed a little WD40 on a couple bags of .45 ammo and then rolled them around on a rag with a rag to coat and remove exsess. Now I'm worried I may have screwed up the ammo.

Any input would be great.
So you have ammo that could potentially be required to save your life or the life of others, and you decided to hose it down with a lubricant that has the ability to penetrate and then be absorbed by the only two components of said ammo that are required to work in harmony in order to force the projectile down the steel tube toward the intended target?

Hmmm.....

So you have ammo that could potentially be required to save your life or the life of others, and you decided to hose it down with a lubricant that has the ability to penetrate and then be absorbed by the only two components of said ammo that are required to work in harmony in order to force the projectile down the steel tube toward the intended target?

Hmmm.....

I believe it's what people refer to as a mistake. We, as humans, make them from time to time, so why not go looking for an answer regarding an mistake then to blindly thing one thing that could be wrong? People shouldn't be berated for asking a question, or looking for a solution to a mistake they made.

I believe it's what people refer to as a mistake. We, as humans, make them from time to time, so why not go looking for an answer regarding an mistake then to blindly thing one thing that could be wrong? People shouldn't be berated for asking a question, or looking for a solution to a mistake they made.
I suppose you are right. I tend to think more logically, and regarding this particular situation with the WD40, I have experience in that an Officer with GPD was at the range and he'd WD40'd his wheel gun at some point (with the ammo in place) and found that it ruined the ammo. Live and learn...

Rule of thumb I learned when starting to reload about 40 years ago is never store ammunition, primers or powder near any kind of solvent. Even the vapors will work their way in over time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top