JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have ZERO evidence to support this but.....I actually do think it could penetrate the primer pocket area & potentially dud the round. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it as far as a plinking round, but I would NOT use them for self defence.

as 2gr8dgs said in post 2
WD40 will de-activate the primers.

I think this should be could instead of will. I remember reading something about someone soaking ammunition in WD40 for an extended period of time and found this.

Soaked ammo in WD40 for 5 weeks.

After a 5 week soak, some worked and some didn't. I think I wouldn't worry to much about spraying them down and wiping them off once, but it's not something I am going to make a habit of.

Here's another from the "Box o' Truth" website. Oil vs. Primers

I didn't drown them, I gave them a little burst and then rubbed a towel over them. I did it because I dumped them in a bag and figured it would help prevent corrosion. I will clean and polish them when I get home. I will put a desicant pack in there instead.

And they were 100 rounds of Federal Hydra Shocks. damn it!

Water Displacement Try number 40 (WD40) is a water displacer. It does not help you much with corrosion.

Now, since I'm a smart *ss, the bullet is the lead-loaded lump at the end of the cartridge. I'm sure they are fine, WD40 or not.

As to your cartridges the likelihood of any damage is remote, in my opinion. You'd have to soak them to get WD40 into the primer cup.

as stated above the only thing I would worry about would be them getting stuck in the chamber, I was told when I bought my glock that after I clean it to make sure the chamber is completly dry or else after I shoot it wil create a suction affect on the casing which would bend the extractor as it trys to pull the spent casing out... but I may be wrong and it may not be as large of a problem as the guy made it sound, either way wipe it down really well and maybe let them dry off over night and I would say you are good to go

I don't understand how people can perpetuate such ignorance. It is NOT made of fish oil. And it will not harm primers in the scenario the OP posted.

I guess you agree with the post I was having fun with then.

Originally Posted by Skang
just buy sealed ammo cans or store in dry area.

wd-40 is water based, so it will dry out pretty quickly.

I have read, If anything leaving oil or even case lube on your brass can cause head space problems. Upon detonation the cartridge case should expand and momentarily stick to the chamber walls to form a seal. Oiled cases slide around with force.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top