JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I reload 45-70 but not 5.56, and since sold my ar15 but I've collected around 500 brass casings, they're federal brass and it just seemed like a waste to throw away so I'm curious if this is something I can list for sale? And if so should I clean and deprime the brass before selling?

I had about that many and tried to give them away here at NWFA. I finally ended up recycling them as nobody showed interest. Seems like the bigger bore brass has some value but stuff like 9mm and 5.56 is so cheap to buy these days that nobody cares that much to reload them.

I reload 45-70 but not 5.56, and since sold my ar15 but I've collected around 500 brass casings, they're federal brass and it just seemed like a waste to throw away so I'm curious if this is something I can list for sale? And if so should I clean and deprime the brass before selling?
It could come in handy to sweeten a trade for something else but it's kind of difficult to get any amount of cash for something that basically grows on trees. It must grow on trees I find it laying all over in the woods;). You could also gift it to someone just starting out in reloading or to a 300blackout enthusiast for repurposing:D.

It could come in handy to sweeten a trade for something else but it's kind of difficult to get any amount of cash for something that basically grows on trees. It must grow on trees I find it laying all over in the woods;). You could also gift it to someone just starting out in reloading or to a 300blackout enthusiast for repurposing:D.

Good option. I wish I had kept mine, now that I added a .300BLK to the rotation. And reloading is in my future. Soon. :)

Also I wouldn't clean or prep it unless someone asked for it. When I do buy used brass I like to look it over as is first. With the excellent cleaning methods out there these days brass can be made so clean as to hide evidence of over pressure loadings. Stainless steel pins and wet cleaning tends to lessen ejector marks and such. I'll take mine dirtyo_O.

Reloading .223 is mostly relegated to 3-gun shooters, which was a growing sport but around here probably only represents 100 or so folks. Anyway, does 500 pieces take up enough space for you to not just keep them around?

Reloading .223 is mostly relegated to 3-gun shooters, which was a growing sport but around here probably only represents 100 or so folks. Anyway, does 500 pieces take up enough space for you to not just keep them around?
It's not that it's a ton of space it's just unnecessary wasted space, I personally wont be reloading 5.56 anytime soon, I'm going to give it to a friend that does reload 5.56, thank you everyone for your responses and advice

Don't clean it, don't prep it.

Everyone has their way of doing it for quality control.

Sell it dirty and dirt cheap. It will move.

I had about that many and tried to give them away here at NWFA. I finally ended up recycling them as nobody showed interest. Seems like the bigger bore brass has some value but stuff like 9mm and 5.56 is so cheap to buy these days that nobody cares that much to reload them.
Here is an enigma seemingly related to that; I have been looking for a (bargain) used 9mm die set for years without success. Oh, I have found a few but usually at gun shows wanting new price or even more. 9mm seems to be one die either no one owns or ever sells. I have found all manor of other calibers including many hard to find wild cats for very reasonable prices but 9? what's up with that?
because I load nearly everything else, I would buy new but for the fact I am likely never to use it.:confused:
As far as the surplus brass goes, Maybe Joe could start a NWFA charity depository where members could bring all their unwanted brass for some good cause. ( youth safety training, forest shooting lanes?) likely a considerable amount could be raised fairly regularly and clean up the woods too?
upload_2018-8-7_9-4-40.png

Short memories around here. Four years ago you couldn't find any 223/5.56 anything to save your life, or any other reloading components for that matter. I happily paid $46 to get 1000 pieces of once fired 223/5.56 range brass delivered to my door.

That is still the going price today so obviously few people would want to pay more than about $23 to get the 500 pieces shipped to them and wouldn't want to meet up to make the transaction unless they lived or worked near you.

The next time you're at the range or near other people that shoot you could ask around if anyone wants to purchase the brass for $20 cash. If you find someone getting started reloading that could also be a good boost for them as not everyone has buckets of forest collected brass hanging about when they get started.

And yes, sell them dirty and as-is. Emphasize same headstamp and your own brass versus picked up off the ground if that be the case.

Actually, 3-gun is the one .223 I don't load for. I do the p-dog stuff and longer range precision heavy pills.

Have yet to do any blasting with the price of a case of .223

if I shoot it and its reasonable and the seller is honest in # of times fired. I buy it. I prefer not processed as mentioned before I can see if there is any issues. this has allowed me to amass a good amount of brass per firearm that I only use in said firearm. saves in fullsize reloading and brass issues since it is fire formed to that systems specific chamber.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top