JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an issue with all the Eurasian collared doves landing on my roof and yard. Since they are an invasive species all that is needed to shoot them is a hunting license, the down side is I cannot use pellets or BBs since I am in city limits. Airsoft and paintball are kosher and I have taken a few (and eat them), but my paintball markers are quite loud, looking for some recommendations on a airsoft rifle that can manage 15-20 yards with accuracy. I am happy to buy the heaviest plastic BBs and make an investment in this gun, also not a problem to go CO2, Green Gas or spring.

It may be overkill, but my back up plan is the M132. I figure if the neighbors are going to call and complain at least I would get a smile out of the officer when he stops by and give him a turn.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions, especially since this section appears to have died.

Jeremy

Hey Lucky can't you use a .22 pellet gun? If that is out of the question then I would go with frozen paint balls! :D
Nope, no pellets or BBs. I am hesitant to freeze paint balls as they could cost me a vet visit, my dogs are four legged vacuums gobbling up almost anything that moves, and the marker is fairly noisy. The goal is to quietly open a door, point and shoot. The lab could do well with the wings to get some practice tracking in. If I didn't live in a developed area it would be resolved by suppressing the sound of a 22 lr.

I was watching a YouTube on the AirForce Texan Big Bore air rifle. I can't figure out how to copy and paste the YouTube like via my phone.

It ain't cheap, but it's not a .22 or .177 caliber.
:D

I used to really be into airsoft. It has been a while, but I used to work as an airsmith at Tac-Ops in Portland when they first opened, and made a lot of custom guns for people.

Most AEGs or the electric guns with a metal gearbox are going to give decent accuracy at 20 yards. The biggest thing is to use quality bb's, and usually .25-.3grams ones. JG produces good guns at decent prices. Here is one for example JG Enhanced LiPo Ready M16A3 Airsoft AEG Rifle (Color: Black) They have a 25% off coupon code currently and have pretty good customer service.

Keeping the barrel clean is important. Using a drill, cleaning rod, and a cloth wipe work well to clean the barrel.

There are a huge amount of mods and money you can throw at airsoft guns to make them accurate. I had guns in the $700 range that would print a 8-12in group at 100 yards, but it takes a some work to make them shoot that far accurately.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Look at Spring Powered "Sniper" rifles. You can get upwards of 700ish FPS with .2s if you have the money. Personal preference, I don't like AEGs, there's a delay between when you pull the trigger and when it shoots. I prefer GBB but they are fairly loud. They also make gas powered bolt actions but usually they don't have a very good aftermarket and don't usually have very good quality.

Last Edited:
Also I don't see why this isn't a good option either.

1545963_01_500_rounds_of_aguila_super_col_640.jpg

Just paint the front of your 10-22 orange!

;)

Nope, no pellets or BBs. I am hesitant to freeze paint balls as they could cost me a vet visit, my dogs are four legged vacuums gobbling up almost anything that moves, and the marker is fairly noisy. The goal is to quietly open a door, point and shoot. The lab could do well with the wings to get some practice tracking in. If I didn't live in a developed area it would be resolved by suppressing the sound of a 22 lr.
Most paintballs these days are food grade. IE you and I can eat them and no harm would be done. However eating a case of them probably isn't the best idea. But if one gets accidentally digested it shouldn't hurt.

I have a compressed air marker available if you want to try. As well as some paintballs that are good and hard by now as they have been sitting for about a year. They harden the longer they age.

Wrist Rocket ?
Pass, I have to be mindful of what's behind my target. I might bring up I have lots of blow guns, and have taken a few birds with them, but that is not a viable option seeing the outrage if someone snapped a pic of a dove with a tiny arrow in him and posted on facebook.

I have some left over .22 cal pellets from my old RWS too if you want them. That is if you go the pellet rifle route.

Look at Spring Powered "Sniper" rifles. You can get upwards of 700ish FPS with .2s if you have the money. Personal preference, I don't like AEGs, there's a delay between when you pull the trigger and when it shoots. I prefer GBB but they are fairly loud. They also make gas powered bolt actions but usually they don't have a very good aftermarket and don't usually have very good quality.

Mosfets and higher powered batteries take care of that. The spring powered rifles can get good, but accuracy is still limited on a squirrel sized target with most off the shelf guns. The ability to send a burst of bb's is going to be your friend. Gas guns are really cool for their realism factor, but the performance is not nearly as good as the electric guns in terms of durability, accuracy, and cost.

Last Edited:
Mosfets and higher powered batteries take care of that. The spring powered rifles can get good, but accuracy is still limited on a squirrel sized target with most off the shelf guns. The ability to send a burst of bb's is going to be your friend. Gas guns are really cool for their realism factor, but the performance is not nearly as good as the electric guns in terms of durability, accuracy, and cost.
Mosfets and high power batteries help, but it doesn't eliminate it. The only thing I've seen that fixes it is pre-cocking but that has it's own drawbacks. I haven't been into AEGs for a while so it might have changed but when I was it was a pick any 2 situation: Durability, RoF, or FPS. I think it's a toss up between an AEG and a Bolt Action Springer for Lucky's purposes, inside 20 yards either will be plenty accurate with the Springer having the edge in power and accuracy and the AEG having the edge in volume of fire. The biggest thing is to use heavy BBs .25s or above.

I disagree on GBBs having inferior accuracy with a good hop-up and barrel I get similar results to my bolt action with my GBBs. Cost and durability I have no disagreements over they're expensive to buy, expensive to shoot, and expensive to keep spare parts in.

HPA Airsoft can be +450fps. If you have time tomorrow, the Airsoft Winter Expo is going on at Oregon Airsoft Arena. The Polarstar rep will be there.

I have discouraged seagulls with a CO2 AirSoft revolver. It bounces right off of them, but they sure don't like it.:eek:

Now all I have to do is go outside and point my finger..:D
One of those would work up close, I have an 8" Dan Wesson licensed revolver can do 550fps with .2s, and with a replacement barrel is pop can accurate to 40 feet.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top