Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Would it be crazy?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Encinoman80, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Encinoman80

Encinoman80 Oregon New Member

So I had a wild idea. What would you think about cerakoting a ruger .357 blackhawk (blued model) with either camo, or just olive drab?
    Let me know!

2. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Not my thing but they are not really collectable so whatever does it for you. If you like it go for it.

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

^ I agree, have at it. But post pictures! :D

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've seen a few revolvers done in either spray coating (cera/duracoat) or matte blued. They never really looked right to me, but its all aesthetics. Won't add to the value, but likely won't detract either. Just remember, the more unique you have the gun done, the harder it will be to find someone to buy it should you ever decide to sell.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  5. Encinoman80

Hmmmm, whats better in harsher conditions though, cera or dura?

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I would have to laugh at it and you if I saw it in person.
    Duracote is the cheaper version of Ceracote

7. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Go for it. But if you do it, we really need to see pictures.

8. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Well I probably wouldn't laugh at it and you but would probably to question your values. As stated before while not particularly collectible the BHs are traditionally styled guns and should be left as such. Go find some old junk Rohm or High Standard Sentinel to defile (Wait I OWN a Sentinel!!)

9. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

S&W made some stealth hunters in green. Might give you an idea what one will look like if you do it.

caddfd53c05c52f8cc100fdfb722a002_zpsra1hnj0x.jpg

10. edslhead

Dura Cote is a two part paint. Ceracote is a ceramic coating . Dura cote is easily rubbed off and scratched.

11. Encinoman80

I just saw a picture of a Charter Arms 44 with olive drab, and seeing that picture of the S&W above...

I think I've changed my mind :p

Flopsweat likes this.
  12. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I once did a bead blast and blue on an old S&W model 10 for a customer. It had a uniform matte blue (black) look. The customer took one look at it, said I did a nice job, told me he should have listened to me in the first place, and paid me to properly polish it back to factory spec.

I'm not saying everyone will end up like that, it's just that there are some guns that look best polished and blued.

If you opt for a coating, cerakote is a much more durable and quality product in my experience.

13. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I've got an uglier gun than the one in that picture, but it started out ugly.

Encinoman80 and edslhead like this.
  14. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Um...

No.

Sell it or trade it off to somebody who will give you a cheap gun to do it to. I'm with RV on this one.

Wild ideas typically aren't good ones after a bunch of thought is put into them. Have you seen the movie "The Hangover"? I haven't but I'm guessing there were a lot of "wild ideas" in that movie.

15. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I don't mean to thread jack, but....

Its a pretty funny movie, and worth the 90 minutes of your time IMO. #2 & #3, not so much.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program :D

16. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

I have done this to a couple of pawn shop rescue revolvers that were pretty beat up & scratched (think drug behind a truck down a gravel road for a few miles). They turn out looking much better, but the cerakote does not hold up to the flame cutting action of the cylinder gap and wears off quickly in that area making it look weird.

edslhead likes this.
  17. edslhead

I did my old Witness 45 with Duracote. I think it was combat gray or somthin. It's already starting to wear through on the slide and I don't use it much. Used one a those two part spray cans of the stuff.

IMG_0152_zpspcc599au.jpg