JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Charter Arms' quality has improved since the Charco an Charter 2000 days. My 1991 Bridgeport .44 Bulldog has never missed a lick. (It looks just like the original Bulldog, but it is in stainless steel).

It saved my life on December 25th, 2006 without firing a shot.

I find it interesting for many reasons, the .41 was suposed to be the "hot new thing" until the 10 MM came along, then the big 10 got downloaded to nothingness, and the .41 all bit went away. We had a pilot who carried a .41 mag ( I think is was a mag) and he swore by it. Never held much interest, mainly because ammo wasn't really available for it, and both .44 mag and. 45 COLT easily fit the precieved role, and later when the big 10 started gaining popularity, I think it further cemented the demise of the .41! Sort of like .357 SIG, good performance, but just not enough to earn a place in the world of performance against established competition! Would be neat to see a .41 Come back, seemed to work well enough, and with more modern ammo loading, might be the next thing!:cool:

That is, albeit gathered from anecdotal evidence, my understanding as well: that is they were fine in the 70s and 80s, but a as the company tanked in the later part of the latter decade, quality went down the drain, and their reputation suffered as a result. But the reformed company is solid. Again, this is from what I've read, so who knows.

Nick Eckert is a "hands-on" owner. His employees are "family" and it is how he treats them. He stands behind his products with a firm "I'll take care of you" attitude. This is what makes his affordable handguns such a good value. If you aren't abusing the products, hell make certain that they'll function.

You really have to appreciate that.

Agreed with that. In an era in which communicating with most companies is a recipe for exasperation, it is so refreshing to hear of one that not only replies, but is actually helpful. :)

Nick is "real people" not some tyrant that has no concept of his market or buying public. If there is a "bump in the road" he feels it personally. He had some rough patches, but I respect him and have had long conversations with his staff. "Down to earth" people can't be bought. They are cultivated and cherished as one would a "pearl of great price".

So few companies do this.

The Charter Arms Classic Bulldog (with a 3" tapered barrel and no ejector rod shroud) can be had in blued Stainless steel and Plain Stainless. Would anyone like to see this 5-shot revolver built in the .41 Special?

If Charter Arms were to build this one, I believe that it would sell. Why? Because you can blow a 200-grain LSWCHCP out of a 3" barrel at a perky 900 fps, generating about 359.8 foot-pounds of energy. This is respectable for a 22-ounce revolver that doesn't carry "lots-o-shots". (Hint: It wouldn't need more than five rounds to be an effective concealed-carry revolver).

Comments/opinions?
The performance of that ".41 Special" sounds like a .41 Magnum, considering the short barrel.
No, I would prefer to buy the .44 Special round....anyway, its only like .018" difference and there's more bullets available for the .44, for handloading.

Dean

...anyway, Charter Arms doesn't need more "gimmick guns", they need to concentrate on producing the best gun they can possibly make and attain a wide spread rep for building a rock solid, reliable firearm.
Past efforts to resurrect the company have really hurt their image.

Dean

The performance of that ".41 Special" sounds like a .41 Magnum, considering the short barrel.
No, I would prefer to buy the .44 Special round....anyway, its only like .018" difference and there's more bullets available for the .44, for handloading.

Dean

Big difference, Dean. My .41 Magnum shoots like a bloody laser. There are 170-grain, 180-grain, 190-grain, 200-grain, 210-grain, 215-grain, 220-grain, and more. Your argument doesn't bear up under close scrutiny.

Sorry, no sale.

PCI is loading the .41 Special with 220-grain bullets in their loaded ammunition line. I would Like to see some 170-grain JHP loaded to about 1160 fps, generating about 508 foot-pounds of energy. This is sufficient for self-defense purposes, yet will not abuse the revolver or the shooter.

It is a "win-win" formula that works in .41 Magnum/Special revolvers. In a lighter 2.5" barrel, you could still see 1020 fps and 392.8 foot-pounds of energy.

That would "leave a mark". ;)

Well, good luck with that Cap.
Not sure why you want to recreate Remington's Police load for the magnum with a high performance special round, but hey, if it floats your boat, then I guess its all good.
...I'll still take the .44 Special.

I have a 6" barreled 1991-vintage S&W Model 657 and a "Parkerized" 4" barreled S&W Model 58.

The Model 58 will "gobble up" the .41 Special loads like no one's business. (It can also consume the "earschplittenloudenboomers" as well).

Look up Charter Arms on the 'net. Then leave a message on the "contact us". If you leave your telephone number Nick Ekert will call you and answer your questions.

WAY ahead of ya! ;)

I also had some dealings with Mike McNett back when he was just getting started. (Oh the heyday of the 10-ring on GlockTalk!) I'll have to see if he remembers me! ;)

Not a Charter Arms but I had this USFA converted to 41 Special.
jxd7F27.jpg
SPvBJGH.jpg
It is one of my favorite rounds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR