JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The .41 Special is a super neat round and would be fantastic in a smaller revolver, but is not easy to come by if you aren't a reloader. If anyone here is a .41 Mag shooter they know how obscure that round has gotten in the last decade or so.
Yes, a small(er) revolver in 41 Special would make a great carry revolver, but I'd bet the line of purchasers would be very short.
Ruger makes the 44 Special GP100 and S&W makes two versions of the Model 69 in 44 Mag. My ASSumption is that anyone looking for a large diameter bullet in a 5 shot revolver is going to buy one of these. I did.
FYI, with 44 Mag ammo this is the WORST, most painful handgun I've ever shot. I had a 5" S&W 500 for a few years and it's nothing like this. I had a 357 Snubbie that would smack the palm of my hand pretty hard, still, nothing like a light 44 Mag. One of the members on here has a S&W 369 (I believe) that he complained is painful to shoot and I thought, "Geeze, what a wuss!" I'm glad I didn't put it in print on one of his posts, because I'd surely be eating my words.

Big bullet, small gun? Be careful what you ask for!

View attachment 445810

That particular Model 69 would be an excellent candidate for not only the .41 Remington Magnum but a marvelous platform from which one could launch the .41 Special. A "slicked-up" action on this revolver shooting a .41 Special would be as good as it gets for Ed McGivern style "fast and fancy" revolver shooting.

Shooting this revolver "fast and hard" would make it a formidable combat piece.

Last Edited:
I just got off the phone from Nick Eckert at Charter Arms. Nick informed me that he's preparing to build a 5-shot .41 Magnum on the .45 Bulldog Pug frame. This is the perfect platform for the .41 Special.

I have also "put a bug" in Underwood Ammo's ear as well as Mike McNett's bonnet about some .41 Special that would put "icing on the cake" for this revolver.

How's that for rapid response?

Last Edited:
And from reading above, I see there is some lack of love with the quality of Charter Arms products. I don't get that. I've owned and shot a lot of Charters over many years and I trust them and think they are dandy little revolvers. My very first .44 of any kind was a Charter Arms Bulldog. I shot it a bunch before I sold it to a friend, and I know he's shot it without issue a lot more rounds than I ever did.

Re: "lack of love with the quality of Charter..."--Back in the 80s I bought a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special that lasted only 3 rounds. Or maybe really only two, since the third time I pulled the trigger the hammer and some other parts actually fell off onto the ground. This was with ordinary factory .44 special loads. I'm glad you have had good luck with Charters. And maybe, judging from another comment, their quality is better now than it used to be. But count me among the Charter Arms avoiders; my confidence in them has been ruined. But perhaps I am like the cat, who having burned herself jumping up on a hot stove, then never jumps up on any stoves, hot or not. It's not like no other manufacturer has ever made a gun that failed. I had a Colt Anaconda .44 mag just go "click" the third time I pulled the trigger. Broken firing pin. Maybe the 3rd shot on a new gun is just unlucky for me.

Re: "lack of love with the quality of Charter..."--Back in the 80s I bought a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special that lasted only 3 rounds. Or maybe really only two, since the third time I pulled the trigger the hammer and some other parts actually fell off onto the ground. This was with ordinary factory .44 special loads. I'm glad you have had good luck with Charters. And maybe, judging from another comment, their quality is better now than it used to be. But count me among the Charter Arms avoiders; my confidence in them has been ruined. But perhaps I am like the cat, who having burned herself jumping up on a hot stove, then never jumps up on any stoves, hot or not. It's not like no other manufacturer has ever made a gun that failed. I had a Colt Anaconda .44 mag just go "click" the third time I pulled the trigger. Broken firing pin. Maybe the 3rd shot on a new gun is just unlucky for me.

Don't walk under any ladders or let any black cats cross your path. You must bear in mind that Charter's Warranty lasts for as long as you own the revolver. This time if you buy a Charter Arms, you may just get lucky. ;)

Last Edited:

I do get that. When a feller is burned, he speaks louder than those that have not.:)

I just got off the phone from Nick Eckert at Charter Arms. Nick informed me that he's preparing to build a 5-shot .41 Magnum on the .45 Bulldog Pug frame. This is the perfect platform for the .41 Special.

How's that for rapid response?

That's very rapid, and very cool, too.

I do get that. When a feller is burned, he speaks louder than those that have not.:)

Yup. Won't find a Kimber at this house.

Load this new .41 Magnum with high-end .41 Special loads (200-grains at about 1000 fps from a 2 1/2" barrel) should prove to be a good "man-stopper" at "bad breath" ranges. It should be controllable, yet be more potent than the .45 ACP. (444.2 foot-pounds is more than enough to get the job done).

Why not?

Last Edited:
Super neat-o they are so responsive. I've always thought the .41 Magnum was a very under rated cartridge.

A memory from my youthful days (early 20s): I was discussing revolvers with men much older than me, as in they could have been my father or grandfather. I asked naively "Why isn't the .41 Magnum more popular? It sure is a great middle of the road cartridge." One of the crusty old fellows shrugged and said "Why do some prefer blondes and others redheads?" To which I responded with a wry smile, "Couldn't tell ya, I'm engaged to a brunette." ;)

Nick Eckert himself called me to inform me of this development. I asked him if I could share it and was given permission to do so. Can you imagine a 5-shot "cannon" that can launch the lighter loads while still outperforming a .45 ACP by a substantial margin?

I would not want to be on the "receiving end" of that package! :eek: