JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Charter Arms Classic Bulldog (with a 3" tapered barrel and no ejector rod shroud) can be had in blued Stainless steel and Plain Stainless. Would anyone like to see this 5-shot revolver built in the .41 Special?

If Charter Arms were to build this one, I believe that it would sell. Why? Because you can blow a 200-grain LSWCHCP out of a 3" barrel at a perky 900 fps, generating about 359.8 foot-pounds of energy. This is respectable for a 22-ounce revolver that doesn't carry "lots-o-shots". (Hint: It wouldn't need more than five rounds to be an effective concealed-carry revolver).

Comments/opinions?

Last Edited:
No, I personally wouldn't. Two reasons. Charter isn't exactly known for quality. And secondly .41 special is not readily available most anywhere. Underwood doesn't even make anything in that caliber.

I don't believe it would sell because there aren't too many out there that shoot the caliber, and some that may not have even heard of it.

Interesting like all firearms are..;)

But I don't see a fit.....for it... I try and think of one but there are many others that are out there caliber wise
so unsure why on this one ? I am also guessing ammo because if scarcity would not be cheap.
Tad shocked as this is something Ruger would do, or a more prominent manufacture.
So why I can see developing a firearm just for fun, sure I get it, as thats how we get the Judge and 995TS Carbine from hipoint . But the caliber would make it a no go for me. I like ammo that can multipurpose if that make sense.

Interesting like all firearms are..;)

But I don't see a fit.....for it... I try and think of one but there are many others that are out there caliber wise
so unsure why on this one ? I am also guessing ammo because if scarcity would not be cheap.
Tad shocked as this is something Ruger would do, or a more prominent manufacture.
So why I can see developing a firearm just for fun, sure I get it, as thats how we get the Judge and 995TS Carbine from hipoint . But the caliber would make it a no go for me. I like ammo that can multipurpose if that make sense.

THIS.

No, I personally wouldn't. Two reasons. Charter isn't exactly known for quality. And secondly .41 special is not readily available most anywhere. Underwood doesn't even make anything in that caliber.

I don't believe it would sell because there aren't too many out there that shoot the caliber, and some that may not have even heard of it.

I have looked at the new Classic Bulldog and it is as good as my early Bridgeport Connecticut model. Why, because it is made from one piece of stainless steel and the barrel is screwed in (crunch-fitted) for greater durability. These aren't the "Charter 2000" or "Charco" revolvers of old. They also have a Lifetime Warranty.

I simply think that the .41 Special is a great idea. The brass is easily cut down from .41 Magnum. If there is sufficient demand Starline will make a healthy run to meet it.

That's the thing, there is no real demand for the caliber. It's great that you like it, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

as much as I prefer 41 mag, the description of this '41 special' is mighty close to the 6 shot S&W mod 610 in 40/10mm isn't it?

sw610.jpg

as much as I prefer 41 mag, the description of this '41 special' is mighty close to the 6 shot S&W mod 610 in 40/10mm isn't it?

View attachment 444505

That is my logic. Using the 41 Magnum revolvers with .41 Special ammunition is a direct analogy to the .44 S&W Special/.38 S&W Special. I can't see any loss of accuracy and it would be perfect fodder in .41 Magnum revolvers of all kinds for personal defense purposes. Load these 210-grain Lehigh Extreme Defense projectiles to 950-1000 fps and you would have what Elmer Keith originally envisioned.

IMHO, Elmer Keith was the "spirit child" of John Moses Browning, and he was right!

I just finished reading some information from Starline brass (that has been making a run of .41 Special brass). The people at Starline had already suggested that Charter Arms should make a run of Bulldog revolvers in .41 Special. As I write this, Starline Brass is selling 500 new .41 Special brass for $116.00 + shipping.

On April 7th, 2011, Lane Pearce in Shooting Times wrote an article entitled: "Are you ready for the .41 Special?"
In the article, he quoted some .41 Special data from a converted Ruger Super Blackhawk. The results were as follows:

A 180-grain bullet at 1120 fps, yielding 501 foot-pounds of energy.
A 200-grain bullet at 1200 fps, yielding 639 foot-pounds of energy.
A 210-grain bullet at 1050 fps, yielding 521 foot-pounds of energy.

All of these sound relatively tame, yet effective. Even more effective than the .357 S&W Magnum without abusing either the handgun or the shooter. It is a win-win in anyone's book.

Last Edited:
WIN_20180327_22_05_10_Pro.jpg The Smith and Wesson model 296 could fit your needs. L- frame, 5 shot .44 Spc, 200 grain max though. Still, Underwood makes ammo that fits.

So light that the weight of the ammo almost doubles the empty weight.

I do like its specificity. No need for a hammer for it's barrel length and intended purpose.

Don't look at it directly for too long though. While I think every revolver is beautiful (with the exception of the Chiappa Rhino) this one certainly is pushing those boundaries.

View attachment 444510 The Smith and Wesson model 296 could fit your needs. L- frame, 5 shot .44 Spc, 200 grain max though. Still, Underwood makes ammo that fits.

So light that the weight of the ammo almost doubles the empty weight.

I do like its specificity. No need for a hammer for it's barrel length and intended purpose.

Don't look at it directly for too long though. While I think every revolver is beautiful (with the exception of the Chiappa Rhino) this one certainly is pushing those boundaries.

That's very nice, but I already have a 1991 Bridgeport, Connecticut Charter Arms three-inch barreled stainless steel Bulldog that's in excellent condition. I really don't need another "snub-nosed" .44.

It is beautiful, but for me, that niche has been filled.

This is the rare Smith and Wesson model 296 Titanium made between 1999-2001. It is chambered in 44 special and marked on the barrel 200 grain max. 2.5"barrel. This gun is in very good condition and locks up tight. No box or papers. I am asking 900.00 I will consider offers for it. Transfer to take place in Salem or Albany. Please see photos for condition. Thanks for looking!
The only trade I would be interested in is for a big bore PCP Rifle.

How about this timing?

www.ammo-one.com has loaded .41 Special ammunition for sale. This seems a good start for those less inclined to load their own. Couple this with some nice Carbide dies for the "shorty" mid-bore should make for a good start.
The .41 Special isn't as dead as everyone seems to believe. It puts the .41 Remington Magnum on an entirely new light. It is comparable to the 10mm Auto in a revolver and can even be loaded to .40 S&W without causing problems.

Long live the .41 Special, an idea whose time is long overdue.

The Charter Arms Classic Bulldog (with a 3" tapered barrel and no ejector rod shroud) can be had in blued Stainless steel and Plain Stainless. Would anyone like to see this 5-shot revolver built in the .41 Special?

If Charter Arms were to build this one, I believe that it would sell. Why? Because you can blow a 200-grain LSWCHCP out of a 3" barrel at a perky 900 fps, generating about 359.8 foot-pounds of energy. This is respectable for a 22-ounce revolver that doesn't carry "lots-o-shots". (Hint: It wouldn't need more than five rounds to be an effective concealed-carry revolver).

Comments/opinions?

Back before the compact .45 auto was perfected I had a few of the old .44 Specials they made. Ended up customizing one of the Target versions to get what I wanted. Ended up with a BBL, 3inch, 5 shot .44. I have never been a wheel gun guy but that one I did love. It did get me to learn to roll my own ammo as at that time we common folk could not just order ammo and there was only one offering to be found. I used to load a nice 185 to 200 gr SW in them. Even these never really seemed to catch on so I would be quite shocked to see them come out with one in a caliber that "odd". Several of the manufacturers tried making some small 5 shooters in both .44 sp and .45 Colt. They just never seemed to catch on. Now that the small autos have been perfected I would think it would be even harder for them to make these sell.

I own two revolvers in .41 Remington Magnum. If I could plunk down the money on one of the odd S&W Model 357 "Night Guard" revolvers In .41 Remington Magnum, I'd do it in a heartbeat! Why? It is a darned handy Scandium-framed Magnum that will shoot a nice .41 Special that works just as well as any self-loaders. Most firefights end within the scope of six rounds being fired.

I have Charter Arms revolvers in .44spl and .38 +P so it would not be of any use or interest to me. My 2" Barrel Bull Dog Pug has been an excellent carry piece for the last nearly 30 years I have owned it. The Undercover is my current carry gun and a real joy to shoot. I like to run a 125gr med pressure handload (a bunch of powder burning outside the barrel does nothing for accuracy)

I do understand the OP's interest in the .41 Special, but I don't know how many they'd sell other than to a few folks like him. Already, the .44 Special is expensive to shoot unless you reload. The .41 Special would also be expensive, and I think prohibitive in cost. That'd keep the sales numbers low enough I don't think Charter would realize enough sales to make it worth their while.

But as the OP...This is just my opinion.

And from reading above, I see there is some lack of love with the quality of Charter Arms products. I don't get that. I've owned and shot a lot of Charters over many years and I trust them and think they are dandy little revolvers. My very first .44 of any kind was a Charter Arms Bulldog. I shot it a bunch before I sold it to a friend, and I know he's shot it without issue a lot more rounds than I ever did.

Last Edited:
Crap, I thought you were going to show us one but no biggie.
Me?. no. The .44 is just fine. Just stick with mid-range mid-weight lead SWC's and all will be fine in the world.

I do understand the OP's interest in the .41 Special, but I don't know how many they'd sell other than to a few folks like him. Already, the .44 Special is expensive to shoot unless you reload. The .41 Special would also be expensive, and I think prohibitive in cost. That'd keep the sales numbers low enough I don't think Charter would realize enough sales to make it worth their while.

But as the OP...This is just my opinion.

And from reading above, I see there is some lack of love with the quality of Charter Arms products. I don't get that. I've owned and shot a lot of Charters over many years and I trust them and think they are dandy little revolvers. My very first .44 of any kind was a Charter Arms Bulldog. I shot it a bunch before I sold it to a friend, and I know he's shot it without issue a lot more rounds than I ever did.

My "guess" with Charter hate is just like the Taurus, Rossie, Kel-Tec......... so on. Lower end guns that have a HUGE following judging by sales. Because of price always some haters <shrug>. I had 3 of the Charter Bull Dogs. All were well used when I got them. I shot all 3 quite a bit and when sold they were all working great. Wife had one of the early .38's with the alloy frame, 3 inch tube, 5 shot .38's they made. They were aimed at the off duty LEO market when they came out. Her's was used and she had it for decades later and loved it. Was purse carried so long there was almost no finish left on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top