JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
RE : Post #20
Politics aside, it's pretty irresponsible to not lock your bubblegum up.

You can do what you like in your home.

You'll get no argument from me on that point.

But then......
Calling my belief/storage practice "irresponsible" is insulting to me.
So then.....in case no one has told you before, it's NOT polite to tell others how they should live to YOUR EXPECTATIONS. Yeah, especially since/while they don't even live in/occupy your home. But whatever, because you sound just like an anti-bubblegum (anti-gun) politician. If that is insulting to you.....

Lord_I_apologize_for_that.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS....this is NOT a personal attack and I have no interest in starting a back and forth of insults. There is always room to......Agree to Disagree.

Last Edited:
I'm sorry that you do not take firearm ownership / safety as seriously as you should. I hope no one steals your stuff and commits a crime with it or a child doent shoot themselves.

It is irresponsible to leave you car unlocked,
Its irresponsible to leave your home unlocked. Dont be a statistic. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard than just leaning bubblegum against the corner or shoving it under a mattress.

I'm sorry that you do not take firearm ownership / safety as seriously as you should. I hope no one steals your stuff and commits a crime with it or a child doent shoot themselves.

It is irresponsible to leave you car unlocked,
Its irresponsible to leave your home unlocked. Dont be a statistic. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard than just leaning bubblegum against the corner or shoving it under a mattress.
I'm sorry that you wish that you could rule over and threaten others with being locked up if they don't necessarily agree with your point of view on how to "keep" firearms.

IMHO.....
I do take firearms ownership seriously.
As for how I keep my arms and vehicle......that's still up to me. It's my property. Thankfully some people, can still remember what FREEDOM is supposed to be like.

As for (the underlined part) those who steal from me and mis-use my former property. OMG.......you probably should re-think your stance. Really. Simply put ......they are THIEVES. BUT, But, but.....thinking about the safety of thieves. Hummmm.......maybe the Govt should also regulate that I keep my owner's manual (with all of the printed warnings) next to my firearms. In the need to keep thieves SAFE. So the thief will know where to find them. YES, I need to be responsible for his/her/or whatever preferred pronoun's life too. Rrrrright.....a thief should know how NOT to injure themselves with any newly acquired "stolen guns". And, I should be held accountable for the mis-use of my former property? Nah.

As I said before....
How you decide to keep your property is YOUR business.

Humm.......
Car and home unlocked?
Isn't it still my home/property?
OMG......perhaps how I do things with my property needs Government approval? Or perhaps I need "Benny762's approval"?

Is it just ME that sees it? Because, it sounds like YOU just don't respect other people's RIGHT to choose. Yup, instead......YOU choose to insult them and their beliefs/practices.

I wonder.....would YOU also insult their choice of RELIGION? Rrrrrright .......just because you may not and/or do not agree with their RELIGIOUS choice, would you threaten to lock them up too? Where do YOU stop trying to run other people's lives? BUT, But, but........it's all in the name of SAFETY.

Do you KNOW what the 2nd A says (and doesn't say)? I'll give you a hint. The underlined part is NOT a part of the real 2nd A.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, unless some Politician says it's reasonable and makes common sense to them."

Oooops.....maybe perhaps......I should remove "some Politician" and substitute it with what Benny762 says?

Anyway......note the word KEEP. IMHO.....that also means/extends to......how I choose to keep my firearms stored within my home (or car, if I choose to keep them there).

Before you go there.......
I'd be guessing that firearms kept in the old horse drawn buggy (or home) were NOT subjected to being regulated back in the day. Rrrrright......using the Bruen decision, to guide one's understanding of the CONSTITUTIONALITY of gun laws.

Children shooting themselves.
The fact is......I no longer have children in my home.
But.......I guess to people like YOU. YOU probably also believe that......the Govt (or YOU) should also tell me, how I should raise my child/children?

Yeah.....ONLY the Government (and/or Benny762) - APPROVED WAY.

Aloha, Mark

PS......
STOP, Stop, stop. In all fairness.....
Benny762 (Post #20) never said that those who do not follow the safe gun storage requirements should be locked up.

Yeah.
roll_eyes.gif

Anyway.....a brief overview of the Bruen decision.

Last Edited:
As the title says, I'm wondering about exactly what qualifies as legally secured gun storage. I searched but failed to find the actual text of the Oregon gun storage bill. Thanks for any help!
Im not going to worry about it at all personally. I use common sense. When kids are over guns are in places where only I have the key so there is no way they can get to them.

I'm reminded of places in Europe and such places where you have to have the government come to your home for inspection and sign off that your gun storage safe is adequate etc. that is what they will eventually push for here also imo.

Here's a good video describing UK gun laws (including storage requirements) if anyone is interested.

RE : Post #25
Thank you for the video.

Very_Interesting.gif

+++++++++++
+++++++++++

Making America safer through a little more loss of your Freedom.
WARNING....the following is a rehash of another post of mine, taken from another thread.

So tell me?

How is it......the Govt's business to tell me how to store my own property (guns) within my home? Will I need a license? Will there be inspections too? Will I be subject to 24/7 surprise inspections to ensure compliance? How much will all this NEW Govt intervention cost? More police or a "special squad" of compliance officers? Will I need to have only a certain class of safe that is RATED/CERTIFIED, etc...... etc...... Will I go to prison because I left my home defense firearm out?

IMHO.......you've just opened an entirely new method to oppress the gun owning population. All in the name of SAFETY.

If you're comfortable with it. Than you can do it in your own home.

For me......"No thank you". IMHO.......it's "None Ya"
Know what "incremental creep/incremental expansion" is?
Or call it "mission creep".

Mission creep is the gradual or incremental expansion of an intervention, project or mission, beyond its original scope, focus or goals, a ratchet effect spawned by initial success.[1] Mission creep is usually considered undesirable due to how each success breeds more ambitious interventions until a final failure happens, stopping the intervention entirely.

The term was originally applied exclusively to military operations, but has recently been applied to many different fields, which itself is an example of mission creep.
Taken from.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Nowhere in the law does it state "metal" lock box. Just a lockable container. You could literally lock your gun in a plastic ammo can as long as it has a lock (key or combo does not matter). The word container is not defined.

So......... Yes a locking tool box is a container with a lock.

The important part of the law, to me at least, is this section:

(...)
Subsection (3) of this section does not apply if:
(...)
(b) The unsecured firearm was obtained by a person as a result of the person entering
or remaining unlawfully in a dwelling, as those terms are defined in ORS 164.205.
(...)

Read the "Where As" section. The whole point of this law is an attempt to reduce:
- Accidental child deaths
- Stolen weapons used in mass shootings (usually by the rightful owner's offspring)
- Stolen weapons used in general crime

You have a right against unlawful search and seizure. Given that, (I believe) the police do not have a right to go checking and inspecting storage of every gun owner in Oregon.

So what does this law help? Nothing, proactively. It's a "tack on" law. In that, if you are the gun owner of a child who goes off the rails and uses your AR to shoot up a school, then the DA can use this law to charge you for not locking up your shiz and keeping it away from your psycho progeny.

If you don't have kids, then your house is your "locked container" as evidenced by the statement above that the storage laws do not apply if someone breaks into your home to go thieving.

If you do have kids, and you're wondering about minimum levels of law abiding-ness...I have to wonder why? If you're truly worried about an accidental death, than any gun cabinet will do. If you're worried about a violent teenager...perhaps look to a legit safe or moving the weapons to a friend's (helps if said friend is an FFL).

Anyway...the law states:

(2) "Container" means a box, case, chest, locker, safe or other similar receptacle, in- cluding, within a vehicle, a glove compartment, enclosed trunk or center console, equipped with a tamper-resistant lock.
"Temper resistant" - the TLDR; on this is that there is no definition. Google the word and you'll find hits like:
- https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2019I1/Downloads/CommitteeMeetingDocument/209214
- https://www.bankersonline.com/articles/106128

I am not a lawyer. The above is not legal advice, just my opinion.

I think he is just complaining cuz he's from California and it's his second post and is "entitled" and wants instant gratification. But just a guess.

I wouldn't be enabling such behavior, but that's just me. I whining kid that gets a reward will just whine all the louder next time.

Thank you for your helpful answer, Heuco.

Ilikegunspdz I am not offended. Just mildly irritated that a little bit of my time was wasted reading long posts that failed to answer my question. If insulting people online makes you happy, go ahead. It doesn't hurt me.

So......... Yes a locking tool box is a container with a lock.
Honestly,
You really needed to start a thread to get the above obvious answer from someone ?
Talk about wasting valuable time...

And then you get irate because some of the members discuss something on YOUR thread, not to your liking.

Perhaps in the vast time (less than two years) you have have been a member here...you missed the fact that NO ONE owns a thread here, with the exception of the forum owner. This is an open exchange of thoughts and ideas here. If that doesn't float your boat...maybe you can find an answer to your complex questions, maybe you can start your own forum and make a rule that you have to approve of everything that anyone says.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top