JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You sometimes come up with thought provoking projects or ideas.

I had to read your initial information through several times to get a complete understanding of what you are talking about. I mistook your use of "breech loading" for the basic design concept. Until I figured out you meant, "breech reloading." Okay.

You mention using .429 bullets. I don't know your bore diameter, often .44-40 runs around .427 +/-, or it could be factory made as a .429. So I'd have some concern about a possibly oversized bullet, jammed into the lands = higher than usual pressure. But you've been to the range, fired 12 rounds, and didn't blow yourself or the rifle up, that's good news.

My two cents, spring for the .44-40 brass, it will eliminate the headache of breech reloading. And a die set, if you don't already have it, Lee makes a relatively inexpensive set. My opinion, I don't think your breech reloading concept is any easier on .44-40 brass than cartridges carefully hand loaded using a die set. The opposite might be more likely; breech reloading might put the brass at more risk, what with open mouthed cases being fed into the action.
The Rossi's are running the same barrel they run for the 44 mag, probably to save money. I have some powder coated 44mag cases that I am going to cut down in length and try running in the rifle. I might name them 44-40 special:)

Then Insert a bullet by hand into the case until it hits the dowel rod. Carefully load it into the rifle chamber and use the rifle's lever to seat the bullet into the lands a bit maybe 1/8th inch (far enough in to clear the mouth of the primed & loaded case). Open the lever to eject the case and stick in a primed and loaded case and fire. I would use a card over the charge to keep the powder from moving around in the case during the process of loading it in the rifle. I use a similar process for my 50 Beowulf muzzleloading project.
Ah, I get it now. Not no but @#$ no! You can try it all ya want but I have no desire to do that. I do not like the idea of the amount of space between the powder and the bullet. Not only that, but the bullet being wedged into the chamber is asking for much higher chamber pressures and will be more wear and tare on your rifle, rather than the brass.

Oh the thousands of handloads I have made with 44-40 brass, I have had very few issues with ruined brass under normal load and fire conditions.

If you want to load at the table, get a Lyman hand tool for the 44-40 and shoot black powder.

Am I curious how it turns out? Heck yeah!!!!!!!

Actually what I mean is not doint that in my rifles, but trying it in my test barrel would certainly be safe. Since I don't have the pressure test equipment right now, I will pass until I get it back, if I do get it back. I gave it to a fellow shooter and just borrow it sometimes.

NWFA meet 44-40 special.

20220725_084414.jpg

20220725_084510.jpg

Base diameter of 44-40spl

20220725_084853.jpg

Base diameter of 44-40

20220725_084950.jpg

Base diameter of 44mag

20220725_084919.jpg

20220725_085335.jpg

20220725_084435.jpg

Last Edited:
The neck thickness was off because of calipers and cases resting on table here are the right measurements.

20220725_090102.jpg

20220725_090136.jpg

20220725_090214.jpg

The case will chamber, extract and eject without a bullet. The next big step will be to see if I can seat a bullet in the case and still get it to chamber. I won't be able to seat the bullets too deep but deep enough to hold up to hand feeding them into the chamber. I might have to sand down the powder coat a little around the mouth.

20220725_091853.jpg

Last Edited:
Starting load data could probably be borrowed from 44 Russian load data as my case is only about .070 shorter than the 44 Russian case. The bullet is going to have a bit of a jump to the lands but that shouldn't be a big deal.

This would be a lot of work to prep these cases like this. Assuming I can get them to chamber with a bullet in them, I am going to see how many loadings I can get with the case before it begins to fail. I am hoping I won't have to resize it between loadings. 44 mag is a sturdy case and the charges will be light so I may be able to get quite a few loads out of the case, 25, 50 who knows.

I think I have a handful of 44-40 brass that you can have, if I can find them.

I enjoy tinkering and experimenting as much as anyone, but it seems that ultimately I always end up doing things the traditional way.

I think I have a handful of 44-40 brass that you can have, if I can find them.

I enjoy tinkering and experimenting as much as anyone, but it seems that ultimately I always end up doing things the traditional way.
If you track them down let me know. Starline is allowing backorders on 44 Russian cases and they are only .26 each on 500ct order. If my powder coated and shortened 44mag case works, then I might order 500 of the 44 Russian cases. All I would need to do then is powder coat the exterior of the case to use them in 44-40 rifle.

I have to be honest; I wouldn't be terribly comfortable with those shortened 44 mag cases. The 44-40 case is a slight bottle-neck, and it looks like your short cases are below the neck of the original case.

With light loads it might not be particularly dangerous, but I'd be surprised if you got much accuracy. With thicker case walls, smaller base diameter, and light loads, I would also expect a lot of blowback around the case. I wouldn't want that coming back in my face.

I have to be honest; I wouldn't be terribly comfortable with those shortened 44 mag cases. The 44-40 case is a slight bottle-neck, and it looks like your short cases are below the neck of the original case.

With light loads it might not be particularly dangerous, but I'd be surprised if you got much accuracy. With thicker case walls, smaller base diameter, and light loads, I would also expect a lot of blowback around the case. I wouldn't want that coming back in my face.
I will watch for blowback, through my eye protection of course.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top