JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
With the knowledge of Wes Knodel doing his gun show at the Expo, simultaneous with Collectors West doing Vancouver, The grand plan was to do both. The plan failed.

I got out of the house early: or so I thought. Arrived at Portland Expo at 0827H: The line outdoors to get in stretched for a quarter mile, all the way to the Tri-Met stop at the farthest south building (show was in the old livestock building at the north end). As a GI, I do not abide standing in line. I stood in line for 30-35 minutes. Kudos to the Expo staff and security to keep the line moving, facilitate ticket buying, and making it barely tolerable to a Vietnam-era vet who WILL NOT stand in line to eat anymore, no more. I found out today, I will stand in line for a gun show.

Once in the door, It was very easy to see that every table that had plastic and matte or ammunition on it was crowded: horribly crowded. Dealers with phones in their ears waiting for their (granted by the King) access to allow a new citizen his written Constitutional Right. Wait times were rumored to be over an hour.

However: Walnut and Blue tables were pleasingly accessible!! To borrow from my father, "Disneyland!!"

Halfway through, I spotted on a table with only three guns (two of them junker military), a nice old Remington Bolt. 722 Short Action. ("Woah"!). Good Shape (Big "Whoah"!). .300 Savage Caliber (Light years ahead of its time, and the very Genesis for all Short Magnums: BIGASS Whoah!).

Table guy with a phone glued to his ear (waiting for Constitiutional Rights to be dispensed from above:not inalienable). Mouthed to him what he was asking. He mouthed back $200. I tried to keep my eyebrows down, but to no avail. I asked to pick it up (sorry, but gunshow etiquette I was taught as a child). I inspected it. Flawless, except for a fine high-dollar Redfield peep that had been installed some date back, and done absolutely professionally with the chisel inlet in the wood beveled so as not to chip later.

A microcosm of 1956: Whomsoever bought the gun then for two weeks wages, cared for it as their only child. Bluing oiled from day one, and none missing. Magazine follower (they were blued in them days, boys), still blue. Aluminum Remington buttplate.

I walked away.

90 Minutes later, after seeing the rest of the show, I came back. I wanted off the hook. I wanted to leave empty handed, but the gun was still there. I pulled the only card I knew to get me out of the jamb:

LOWBALL!

Table guy is still on the phone. I mouth to him "ONE-SEVENTY-FIVE"?, as I touch the gun. A grimace, and an agreement. I am sunk. There is no redemption. I must fill another syringe for my illness.

I advise him that if he is on the phone for an "instant check", that he can add mine on to the same call. He pulls his head away from the phone, gives me a once-over head to toe, and invites me behind his table.

At this point, I will only say that all pertinent paperwork was presented, all appropriate paperwork for a free nation with firearm posession a right not to be INFRINGED was completed to the satisfaction of all parties present.

I walked away with Remington's best, kept in mothballs for 60 plus years. The old gentleman whose estate this came from bought the very best, and put the very best sight on it (in that era, scopes were not to be of absolute trust). He cared for it as he would his child. A gun I had no idea I wanted or sought. The gun FOUND ME (as has been the case over so many years and so many guns).

Worst gun show in the world at the outset. Best gunshow in the world at the end.

You have a way with words Spitpatch! Riveting story!

I managed to hit both, but I started at Collector's West (No line, but a good sized crowd) then hit the Wes Knodel show at the Expo shortly after (No line again!) but I did find the expo to be packed almost to a frenzied state.

Still plenty of really neat old codgers that would share tales of days gone by (I love tales of days gone by!) and still some little gems hiding among the tables. I didn't buy a gun today, but we still managed to spend $150 or so on tidbits (Not ammo lol)

Today was the first time I've ever seen a line of more than 3 people at the Vancouver show - if you got there at opening the line was snaked back and forth 4x in the lobby and it took about 15 min to get in. First table - std black Pmags at $50. I think the biggest shocker is that .308 ammo went up significantly, but now 400 of 9mm was the same price as the inflated .308... Insanity I tell you.

I planned on moseying about for the better of the day. After waiting in a 45 minute line, attempting to get close enough to a gun table to see what was on it and failing, taking 2 hours to make a trade, I could not get out of there fast enough. I did make a great trade, but the feeling of being at Mount Angel Saturday at October Fest was just too much for me.

I took it easy. New it woul dbe a zoo. Hit driving range, bought some ammo(no crowds), cleaned a gun, put one on sale. Now Ill go test drive a Jeep and see if want to get rid of truck. The panic should calm down, who knows....

I have the same year gun in .257 Roberts. The only improvement you can ad to that fine piece of American craftsmanship is a switch to a model 700 trigger.
Well worth the effort and cost. The 722 triggers are pretty dismal and have no adjustments.

I drove up there from Eugene hoping to buy some 5.56 ammo. Big mistake and waste of time. Big crowds and very long lines waiting to get in even at 10am when I was leaving. I did see an item I just paid $300 for in a gun store in Eugene for only $320 at the gun show. I told the guy and he said; "Thanks for the info". ha Guess those vendors are hoping for the "fool and his money". If gun show prices are not going to be lower than the gun stores, what is the point? I'd rather support my local gun stores and I can even talk to the dealer without the frenzy. That's the last one I'll ever go to out of Eugene unless I'm in town for another reason.

Not too bad off a crowd at the grants Pass show. Offered $1.50 each for 20 Garand clips and the guy sneered, 2 bucks each. Five minutes later I returned to his table and showed him what 20 $1.50 clips looked like. He didn't see the humor.

I have the same year gun in .257 Roberts. The only improvement you can ad to that fine piece of American craftsmanship is a switch to a model 700 trigger.
Well worth the effort and cost. The 722 triggers are pretty dismal and have no adjustments.

I have a 722 Quarter-Bore Bob as well. Triggers on both guns are VERY good, but right around the 4.5lb mark. Nothing I'd refer to as dismal. I prefer lighter, but can always live with crisp and predictable, which both these are.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top