JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some good stuff there. It's hard to beat the Al Frankin edition sexual assault rifle....IMO

Last Edited:
I saw something posted in a blog that gun ownership increases mortality rates. I was pretty sure that was set at 100% regardless.

No way, the only way your gonna die is because of guns and the three ways that they can kill you....................

increase death.PNG
Living in a house with a gun increases your odds of death

Ray

I recently saw a "news" bit that stated something like "you are five times more likely to get shot if a gun is involved in a crime"

I was thinking... yeah... it is pretty hard to get shot if there is not a gun involved

I recently saw a "news" bit that stated something like "you are five times more likely to get shot if a gun is involved in a crime"

I was thinking... yeah... it is pretty hard to get shot if there is not a gun involved

I could be a good clickbait title creator.

Study shows residents of coastal states are five times more likely to get attacked by a great white.

Patrons are five times more likely to get food poisoning if eating McDonald's in a $15 minimum wage area.

A correlation exists between parents who buy kids skateboards and their likeihood
Of meeting their health care deductable.

My BIL argued that having a firearm in the house increased my odds exponentially of getting shot by my own weapon in a home invasion. Needless to say, I'm willing to take my chances. I do everything I can to keep ME in control of them at ALL times.

My BIL argued that having a firearm in the house increased my odds exponentially of getting shot by my own weapon in a home invasion. Needless to say, I'm willing to take my chances. I do everything I can to keep ME in control of them at ALL times.

As opposed to not having a gun and being shot by the intruder....

After reading through the OP's post (and link), now I know where a lot of my neighbor's get their information from! :mad::confused::rolleyes:

Perhaps true, but you have to force your BIL to put those odds into real world numbers.

I often hear the phrase "(insert any number) times greater than" but what does that really mean?

.0005 > .0001......or I could rephrase it to simply say "5X greater than" and that is the deception that anti gunners use in this argument. They never actually give the real world odds because if they did it would sound so insignificant as to be petty. You will never see a claim such as "you have a 1 in 100,000 chance of your firearm being used against you" so when you are presented with the exponential argument, throw it back at them and demand the numbers.

E

Perhaps true, but you have to force your BIL to put those odds into real world numbers.

I often hear the phrase "(insert any number) times greater than" but what does that really mean?

.0005 > .0001......or I could rephrase it to simply say "5X greater than" and that is the deception that anti gunners use in this argument. They never actually give the real world odds because if they did it would sound so insignificant as to be petty. You will never see a claim such as "you have a 1 in 100,000 chance of your firearm being used against you" so when you are presented with the exponential argument, throw it back at them and demand the numbers.

E

Or you could just simply ask them to provide their statistical source....

Because there isnt one. Nobody has any statistics on how often a bad guy takes away the good guys gun and shoots him with it.

I took it as if I don't have any gun in the house then I would never get shot by my own gun. Thinking like that means you can insert or make your own stats.

The idea of you having a greater chance of being shot by your own gun if you have one in your house , is kinda like saying that your chances of getting cut by your own saw is higher if you have one in your house...

Well DUH!...You need to have a gun ( any gun , not just yours ) around you if you are going to get shot.
That said....If you are smart and safe with your gun , then your chances of getting shot are decreased.
After all how many of us just here on the forum have guns in our homes?
Just how many of us here , have been shot by our own guns?

It seems to me that if having a gun in your house actually increased the odds ( in large numbers ) of getting shot with it ...
then with the millions of gun owners and the millions of guns out there...we would be seeing far more cases of this actually happening...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads