JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I kinda bet his daughter doesn't get asked on many dates, though.
Please, that's a match made in heaven. Just don't be stupid!
Yet another rave review for structured barrels by tacom. I wonder if they used their prism too? Seems like you may even need more correction than that, I wonder how much drop that sucker has?
IIRC 416 is what the gal was running who won KOTM this year.

Nomad-Rifleman-Rifle-used-in-world-record-shot-51-scaled.jpg
Looks like...
Red Arrow Charlie TARAC®
Green Arrow Delta TARAC®

Edit to add: Was it really a geomagnetic storm...or some of those "missed" shots on the 4 mile target? :D
:s0156:

Last Edited:
I disagree that it's not a remarkable accomplishment. Hitting a football field at that distance would be hard. That's why it's a record.

I also disagree that it has no real world or practical bearings. Its like the 4 min mile. It advances the ball and once the first guy does it, others know that it can be done and those distances don't seem quite so long anymore.

That they managed to hit it at all is amazing. Considering that with 1092 MOA of drop, only a 0.1 degree cant of the rifle from perfectly level would cause it to miss the target metal altogether. Same with the requirement for minimal muzzle velocity deviation between rounds - whoever did the cartridge loading and made the bullets had to be fantastically precise to minimize scatter.

All of which reminds me of the wise words of a technician I used to work with: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, theory and practice are different.

Bullet has to land somewhere.

"We could obviously put a few more shots in the bullseye right in a row right now, but we are tired, so we will stop shooting and strut away now," Shepard joked. "'Luck' isn't the right word; perhaps 'probability' is a better word. Had Winston shot another 50 shots, none might have hit the target, or at best, perhaps a few would have, and they probably wouldn't have been in the bullseye." In a strange coincidence, it was their 69th shot that hit the target, breaking Paul Phillips' 4-mile record shot which also landed on the 69th shot.

23,232 feet (4.4 miles) over 24 seconds is an average of 968 fps. I'm presuming nearly all the velocity at impact was due to gravity. Any math geeks want to figure out the height at apogee???
Hatcher's Notebook has a section on testing the angle bullets hit from at extreme range. Basically, they are falling at that point, with very little forward vector.

New World Record Rifle Shot: 4.4 Miles
The long-range shooting world record was broken yet again when a team of spotters and a shooter hit a target at 4.4 miles (7,744 yards) in the Wyoming desert earlier this month. The marksmanship feat was orchestrated by Scott Austin and Shepard Humphries, who run Nomad Rifleman, a long-range shooting school out of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Together with a group of friends...

Pardon me if this is a repeat, I just stumbled on to it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top