JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Working with kydex is probably old news to a lot of people, but I just learned some things about it. I recently got a nice used kydex holster. It was not quite a perfect match for my particular pistol so I sought to improve it. Kydex is heat-formed, so I inverted the holster and dipped it into a bowl of boiling water for twenty seconds or so---AAAAAAAGH! Most of the previous fitting to the gun reverted to a smooth sheet bulge, and would not be pressed back to the gun's shape! My conclusion: DON'T DO THAT!

The thing about hot water is that when you remove the kydex the clinging water evaporates, and essentially flash-cools the kydex so it cannot be worked. I realized that I had to use hot air, and got out an old hot air popcorn popper to try. I put the unloaded pistol in the holster on the bench, removed the plastic chute from the air popper and inverted it right over the kydex. It took about TEN SECONDS to soften the kydex so I could squeeze it tightly around the pistol and into the trigger guard. It took a couple of trys on some spots, but Voil-la! The kydex cooled and hardened exactly as I squeezed it. A perfect fit with a "snap-in" trigger guard hold!

A hair dryer might work, but it is probably not hot enough for quick work. Every thrift store has cheap used popcorn air poppers if you don't already have one. This worked so well that I call it FUN!........................elsullo :D

forget the hair dryer, use a heat gun! And work one area at a time, using something with a contoured shape, like a spoon, to bone the curves into it that you want. Much like a holstermaker uses boning to form leather. If its only the retention that is not good enough for you, adjust it by pressing the kydex slightly tighter around the trigger guard.

disclaimer- I am not an expert in kydex, and have never worked with the material. I have owned several kydex products, and draw from my experience, and the manufacturers' suggestions regarding the material.... and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :D

Again, I say heat gun, or some method by which you can apply heat to only one area at a time. If you heat the entire material it will all be soft, and will all be suseptable to deformation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top