Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Words from a Bosnian Survivalist article

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by knightasylum, Jan 30, 2013.

1. knightasylum

knightasylum Vancouver Member

Angie, ATCclears, mjbskwim and 5 others like this.
  2. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775 Coast Range Well-Known Member

Yeah, thanks

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Awesome read!

SF-

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Read it before (I think on here?). Always happy when someone reposts it. Always a good read...

5. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Some selected gems:

6. Just1MoreBlackRifle

Just1MoreBlackRifle Battle Ground, WA 98604 Member

Very good read. Thanks for sharing!

7. LeadSlinger585

LeadSlinger585 California soon-to-be Idaho (I hope) New Member

This guy, along with the help of some dude in Thailand named Jay, runs a blog: SHTF School - Real Life Survival Experiences

If you sign up for his e-mail notifications, you can get a PDF download of the above link. He has interesting articles, and I am grateful to him for remembering horrible times so that we may learn from it.

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I like this Selco guy... I know some guy like him, squirrely little asian guy, endlessly amusing describing everything with great fervor and bizarre coloquialisms like yoda with a head full of adrenochrome.

9. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

scary bubblegum there.

my girlfriends parents were slaves in Cambodia after the Vietnam war. the trick to staying alive then was be poor, dumb and mouths closed. some of the slave camps would allow you to grow a small garden but other camps would kill you for trying. rules changed so it was best to forage the area for small edibles. if you took anything, they would kill you. if you hid anything (no matter how small or meaningless), they would kill you. if you walked in a funny way they would kill you. when the north Vietnamese freed them her dad took up arms and went into the jungle to hunt the Khmer Rouge, who were the people that took over Cambodia after the American bombings. but by then you were more likely to step on a mine than get shot.

so even being prepared can get you killed. important to keep stores hidden and make sure to be stupid until convenient to be skilled. the Khmer Rouge asked people to contribute to society and killed the volunteers that offered to help. when food is rationed by the governing group make sure to eat everything you can, because it wont be enough.

Cortes and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Lane County, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Both the Bosnian's experiences and those of Ferfal's in the economic collapse of Argentina are in my opinion the two best survival guides written. They deal with actual experiences and not the fear mongering rhetoric put out by most survivalist sites.

11. Kevinkris

maybe i should get the story from my girlfriends dad. the things i have been told are pretty scary and that all came to be when the Cambodian government made a decision that was suppose to make the country stronger and safer. many things seem to mimic what we are hearing in todays news.

12. jfw

jfw Clackamas county Active Member

Very good read! That is why being prepared is important!

13. Bushman

Bushman Auburn, WA Well-Known Member

tagged.

14. Cortes

Cortes Tualatin Active Member

Would like to hear about this.

Humans have been doing bad things to each other since the origin of the species.

While we here in the US have been born into a time of unprecedented [local] peace and prosperity, it does not pay to forget the nature of man and the history that comes with.

Angie and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Kevinkris

ill see what i can do. he doesnt speak english so i will have to get my girlfriend or her brother to translate the conversation. who knows the foil hat party may love it even more lol. personally im a huge history buff so i think i would like to get a bit more detail about it too.

16. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

+1 on that.

I'd also like to think that his pain and anguish weren't in vain if we could learn something from it and not let the history of those events die off.

SF-

17. Kevinkris

if you guys want to get the down and dirty on a dramatized version of the story you could check out "the killing fields". tells a story of a cambodian journalist that gets put into one of these camps. they get a bit liberal with some of the facts but you will get the point.

i will have to get down to questioning tomorrow, we will all have to wait for this guys story.

18. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Yes a very good read, but it the second time around. I am not sure if it was on the site or not. It does make ya think about things in a different light.

19. LeadSlinger585

LeadSlinger585 California soon-to-be Idaho (I hope) New Member

Sorry to detract from the original topic, but along the same lines check out FerFAL's "Thoughts on Urban Survival"
    Thoughts On Urban Survival | The Modern Survivalist

I have a cleaned up version of the above on a word processor I can mail out. I hate reading anything long on the computer so I cleaned it up and printed it. Tried to attach it here but the file size is too large :(

20. pdx lefty

pdx lefty portland Active Member

That has been posted here before but still a great read nonetheless. I wish i could remember what the title of the thread was.

The author actually joined the conversation and answered questions.

If i find the thread, I'll post a link.

Lefty.