Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wood Workers?/Exotic Wood?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mikej, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've got a table that is purportedly teak. I hesitate to take it to the dump, or burn it in the wood stove, if there's someone among us that could use the pieces. It's been outside in the weather for a few years on the patio. It's not screwed and glued, it appears to be only glued where necessary to hold the fitted pieces together. If someone would want to disassemble it and plane it, it could be some good stuff for small projects. If there's some interest here I'd put it in the classifieds at a good price just to keep from turning it to ashes/compost.

P1030873.JPG

What say youse!

Mike

2. DiscoFam

DiscoFam Springfield Member

I'll take them for the right price. where are you located also. That might make a difference.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. Mikej

Portland unfortunately.:(

Thanks for responding though. My dad used to give me hard time using mill end/scrap maple and such for fire wood. I hope I can find someone local to get some use out of this.

4. DiscoFam

I'm in Yamhill. What price were you thinking

5. Mikej

Let me give it a bit of time. I'll move it to the classifieds after a day or so if I can get an idea of what it might be worth. It's not really appropriate to be selling on the general forums.

The table belongs to one of my accounts and she wanted me to get rid of it for her. I thought maybe I could get her some $$ for it, she could use it.

6. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

Teak is incredibly durable. If you end up not selling it, take a 180 grit sander to it, you will be amazed - it's also a fun project with instant gratification (I have done ours 3 times over 12 years). There is a product called "boracol" which will slow mold growth (guys use that on sailboat teak decks).

forefathersrback likes this.
  7. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

So... The options are, Pay the dump to take it, Destroy it for burn fire wood or Render money for it?

I think I would have made the thread a bit different. "Is this table worth anything"? Now it reads (In my mind)... I have this table I'll Pay to get rid of or spend my time destroying it to burn or sell to highest bidder.

Dyjital likes this.
  8. Mikej

I'm at the Yard debris/waste wood dump once a week or so, it will go in with my load at no extra cost.

The table will fall into the right size for my wood stove, I think, with a few good WHACKS from the maul.

There are people out there that appreciate fine wood like many of us appreciate fine fire arms. To them it's a sin to destroy some woods, my father was one of them.

My post was to see if there was any interest from artsy-fartsy crafty people that my pass through NWFA. If so I would put it in the classifieds for $**.00 and we could haggle a price in there, no highest bidder. The easiest thing for me is the whack job and stack it at the side of the house with the rest of the fire wood.

Yeah, I know. The table is pretty saggy. I'm not a wood worker, a shame I know. My three options are above.
    If you were closer though........?:rolleyes:

BoonDocks36 and boogerhook like this.
  9. DiscoFam

I will drive to come get it. And fine wood working is not artsy-fartsy. I have made many things ( and a lot of money) making tables, chairs, hidden compartment side tables. I appreciate good quality projects. This table could be beautiful if refinished properly. I would drive to come get it.

10. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

You could check with a local High school maybe they'll take it (do they even have "shop" these days?). In my day they were always looking for free exotic woods for projects. ( talk directly to the shop teacher not to Sally receptionist).

forefathersrback and BoonDocks36 like this.
  11. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I do woodworking, but I wouldn't pay for it, I personally have too many things going to to both pay for it and take on a new project.

12. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

Yes, hold on to it for any of the above, like shop teachers...

Also, check out any Senior Citizen Craft Shops, here in Eugene I know they would take it... And maybe give a Tax Write Off reciept.

Don't give it to Solv3nt though, he's too busy (Joking Solv3nt, I have been there, done that as well.... Me: I still have some Lightening Strike downed Cherry Tree from Florence, and a Bunch of Holly, the Wood, from same source... From fifteen years back...)

philip :D

forefathersrback and solv3nt like this.
  13. solv3nt

Woodworking is a lot of work!

IMG_20141206_111058_zpsc1rdwthf.jpg

forefathersrback likes this.
  14. DiscoFam

I did comment first. But do what you want.

15. solv3nt

Sell it to ^^ guy.

16. Mikej

I'm just speechless here.....
    Can somebody come in here and throw a good comment up?
    ROFL

17. solv3nt

You should give it to that dude... ?

18. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

So, Solv3nt, how long did it take to make that Baby???? Crib!

philip :confused:

Mikej likes this.
  19. solv3nt

A lot longer than I thought it wood! It all started because my parents wanted to give us money for a crib. After researching cribs, I realized that they're really expensive, and they're not even that great. So I used the money on cherry and maple. I designed the crib, then built it. The mortar tenon joints are a serious PITA, but a plunger router made short work of it. I believe the total time was 6 months, but I had two months off from an unrelated table saw thumb incident.

20. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Where's the bob' war?