Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wood stove issue. Damn hippies.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregonhunter5, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

The appraiser is coming tomorrow for our house we are selling. The lender heard we had a older stud muffin stove in the shop, and said get it out before that appraiser comes, or it could mess up the deal.

Outdated stove.

Eat me EPA...

bcdon, Mikej, 44mag2ndamend and 7 others like this.
  2. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Yep, get a handtruck, roll it into the garage and throw a tarp over it. While you are at it pooper scoop your yard (because nobody wants to step in that) and bake some cookies.

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Oregonhunter5

The dog bubblegum is an issue also?

4. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Really? I've got an old 35 gallon drum with the plates on the ends to convert it to a wood burner in the shop. Why would someone complain about that?

5. Nick Burkhardt

You don't want the inspector to step in it while walking through the yard and looking at the condition of the roof, then take that bad "impression" back to the office with him.

They also need to take photos of your kitchen, each bathroom and a living area for some underwriter back east (or East India if your buyers are unlucky) to scrutinize so tiddy up and depersonalize those areas. You are moving soon anyway so start by packing up photos and religious items for the Fair Housing and anti-discrimination BS.

6. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

The lender is maybe jumping the gun a bit.

You don't have to remove the stove until you actually sell.

But when you sell you do have to remove it and recycle it (you can't sell it as a stove) and sign a form that it was removed and recycled.

This is nothing new - for older stoves this has been a requirement for over a decade in Oregon and some other states. It is getting to the point where it will probably be a federal requirement.

7. The Heretic

Because it isn't legal to heat with a non-EPA compliant stove in Oregon.

The stove in my shop had to be removed before the previous owners bought it.

If you install it then you are breaking the law.

But no, you probably won't have anybody coming around to complain about it - how they enforce it is mandating it be removed when the property is sold.

8. Oregonhunter5

Ok will do! Thanks
    Don't need the stress right now, but how often do homes not appraise for the selling price?

9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My neighbor had the same issue, except that he built a mechanical heating furnace for his shop that used old motor oil as fuel.
    He is a certified mechanical genius and that shop stove had less emissions then the natural gas one in his house.
    He had to remove it when his house sold, so he took it with him to his new place.
    The guy who bought the house was really ticked off, because he really liked the setup and that was one of the reasons he decided to buy the house in the first place.

10. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I know I'm getting off topic but please bear with me. I've also got a 20+ year old pellet stove in the house. Where would I go to find out if it's "legal"?

Maybe I'm just naïve and didn't get the memo, but when did all of this stuff start? I bought our house from my father in law a few years ago and there wasn't a single person that set foot in the house to inspect it. A couple of VA guys did come out but they only walked around the outside of the house.

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

You should also light some candles, put on some soft mood-music and something comfortable for when the appraiser shows up... Maybe draw up a bubblebath, too. ;)

12. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

I heard they like a good foot massage.... LOL

13. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You should also know that at least in Oregon if you have a wood stove in your house or shop that has not passed inspection or was installed after regulations it can not pass. The law allows your insurance to deny any claim due to fire damage even if the stove had no part in the fire.

I had a buddy weld up a two barrel stacked shop stove and put it in the little workshop in his barn. The barn caught fire because of rodent damaged wiring and the insurance denied the claim completely.

14. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

If you installed it because you wanted it and not because some bureaucrat forced you to it is probably illegal due to exercising free will.

15. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

I'd sell it as-is. If the buyer/lender/appraiser has a problem with it, find another.

16. Oregonhunter5

What's fun about this crappy country is, you have folks that buy a 3k stove, and are told in 5 years get another cause that one isn't EPA friendly.
    But since the attorneys and judges own this world, it is our reality.

17. Nick Burkhardt

So how did the inspection go?

18. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I am enjoying this thread next to my homemade stove. F*** the EPA.

19. Oregonhunter5

Inspection was fine. It's the appraiser dude that was our concern. No word on that yet.

20. The Heretic

To find out if a stove is EPA compliant, you can check for a tag on the stove that states it is. If there is no tag then find the model and contact the maker and ask.

My stove was made/installed in '97 so it is over 15 years old and it is EPA compliant.