JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The appraiser is coming tomorrow for our house we are selling. The lender heard we had a older stud muffin stove in the shop, and said get it out before that appraiser comes, or it could mess up the deal.

Outdated stove.

Eat me EPA...

Yep, get a handtruck, roll it into the garage and throw a tarp over it. While you are at it pooper scoop your yard (because nobody wants to step in that) and bake some cookies.

The dog bubblegum is an issue also?

You don't want the inspector to step in it while walking through the yard and looking at the condition of the roof, then take that bad "impression" back to the office with him.

They also need to take photos of your kitchen, each bathroom and a living area for some underwriter back east (or East India if your buyers are unlucky) to scrutinize so tiddy up and depersonalize those areas. You are moving soon anyway so start by packing up photos and religious items for the Fair Housing and anti-discrimination BS.

The lender is maybe jumping the gun a bit.

You don't have to remove the stove until you actually sell.

But when you sell you do have to remove it and recycle it (you can't sell it as a stove) and sign a form that it was removed and recycled.

This is nothing new - for older stoves this has been a requirement for over a decade in Oregon and some other states. It is getting to the point where it will probably be a federal requirement.

Really? I've got an old 35 gallon drum with the plates on the ends to convert it to a wood burner in the shop. Why would someone complain about that?

Because it isn't legal to heat with a non-EPA compliant stove in Oregon.

The stove in my shop had to be removed before the previous owners bought it.

If you install it then you are breaking the law.

But no, you probably won't have anybody coming around to complain about it - how they enforce it is mandating it be removed when the property is sold.

My neighbor had the same issue, except that he built a mechanical heating furnace for his shop that used old motor oil as fuel.
He is a certified mechanical genius and that shop stove had less emissions then the natural gas one in his house.
He had to remove it when his house sold, so he took it with him to his new place.
The guy who bought the house was really ticked off, because he really liked the setup and that was one of the reasons he decided to buy the house in the first place.

I know I'm getting off topic but please bear with me. I've also got a 20+ year old pellet stove in the house. Where would I go to find out if it's "legal"?

Maybe I'm just naïve and didn't get the memo, but when did all of this stuff start? I bought our house from my father in law a few years ago and there wasn't a single person that set foot in the house to inspect it. A couple of VA guys did come out but they only walked around the outside of the house.

You should also know that at least in Oregon if you have a wood stove in your house or shop that has not passed inspection or was installed after regulations it can not pass. The law allows your insurance to deny any claim due to fire damage even if the stove had no part in the fire.

I had a buddy weld up a two barrel stacked shop stove and put it in the little workshop in his barn. The barn caught fire because of rodent damaged wiring and the insurance denied the claim completely.

I know I'm getting off topic but please bear with me. I've also got a 20+ year old pellet stove in the house. Where would I go to find out if it's "legal"?

If you installed it because you wanted it and not because some bureaucrat forced you to it is probably illegal due to exercising free will.

What's fun about this crappy country is, you have folks that buy a 3k stove, and are told in 5 years get another cause that one isn't EPA friendly.
But since the attorneys and judges own this world, it is our reality.

To find out if a stove is EPA compliant, you can check for a tag on the stove that states it is. If there is no tag then find the model and contact the maker and ask.

My stove was made/installed in '97 so it is over 15 years old and it is EPA compliant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top