JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed a crack developing on the stock of my rifle. I could buy an aftermarket stock but this was my grandpas gun so I want to keep it original. Does anyone know someone who will do a good job repairing it? Im not afraid to pay for a quality job. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Unless it is a fancy checkered stock you might want to consider doing it your self.

Maybe strip the finish off and drill a hole perpendicular to the crack, slather an appropriate size wood dowel with glue and tap it in, fill the cracks with wood filler sand everything smooth and then put your favorite finish on.

As an heirloom any repair you do will someday add sentimental value to whom ever inherits it.

Thats all I got, I know of no one to actually fix it for you. Good luck.

I have carfully pryed the wood apart until the stock is completely split in two. get both sides wet then use garrilla glue. clamp it good and wipe off the extra. then sand down and refinish.

I noticed a crack developing on the stock of my rifle. I could buy an aftermarket stock but this was my grandpas gun so I want to keep it original. Does anyone know someone who will do a good job repairing it? Im not afraid to pay for a quality job. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Get a hold of Dan Mitchell at Mitchell's Clay Target Sports in Gervais. He has a guy that works on the wood of $20,000 Kreighoff shotguns.
Not very expensive either. I think he modded my Beretta for $100.

What abou t a gun that also has value. My inhereted 250-3000 breakdown model is from 1924 and the forend has a bad crack. Myself, I'll never get rid of the rifle, and it's still a shooter, but do I fix the cracked forend ? Will fixing it harm the monetary value, even though I won't be selling it. I could have a new forend made and keep the old cracked on I guess, but the breakdown forend had hardware attached.

you can get some sawdust shavings from the same type wood,walnut etc.must be very fine,mix it with some airplane glue(crazy glue)inject it into the crack,clamp it.When it dries,sand it down even and smooth with 320 and then 600 grit.apply your finish over it.I use true oil on most or shellac on a lot.

If you do it yourself I would select your adhesive carefully. If the crack is a hairline, you can use a typical yellow wood glue, but if the crack has a width to it, these glues are not good a spanning across cracks. If your crack is more than a hairline, I would use a good wood epoxy designed for this application. You can color most epoxies to match the wood color.

Take it to a professional. I know as humans we want to think we can fix everything ourselves. But when you're hurt or sick you go to a doctor, when you're in legal trouble, you go to a lawyer, for auto repairs, you use a mechanic (I know their are exceptions to all these rules, so don't overwhelm us with the inevitable "I fix my own stuff" responses). When a gun is broken, TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH! You'll pay less than if you screw it up and then have to pay to have the original problem fixed plus the cost of undoing a bad repair.

Disclaimer: I am a gunsmith. I went to school to do this (among other schooling). I do not have a shop at the moment, nor do I have an active FFL. I make no money from this right now, so my advice is not tainted by my desire to make money right now...

Depending on what the value is of the weapon in question, i'd take it to the pro listed above.
On the other hand i decided to try one of these repairs myself.
Russian M44 with a poorly done "toe splice" and some crappy filler..

First i carefully "finished" the split and removed it. I could see there was no point in trying to use the existing piece and re-glue..
So i laminated a few pieces of "Poplar" together to form the right size block.
Hardest part was getting a "clean and level" cut on the buttstock!....Good old "Chopsaw".

P1010003.jpg

First i rough shaped it,Then i "pinned" it on using 8d finish nails driven into the stock, elmers wood glue, then "drive" the repair block onto the buttstock.
Couple clamps, there ya go..

P1010001.jpg

Some sanding to blend it in...

P1010004.jpg

P1010002-1.jpg

Then some stain to try and match the color...

P1010003-1.jpg

Little more color....

P1010005.jpg

....and a couple coats of Shellac. (that's the typical Russian refurb....Shellac'd with a brush!)

P1010002_edited-2.jpg

P1010004_edited-2.jpg

P1010001_edited-2.jpg

Much better! Simple tools and a little patience.

I would not necessarily do any more then gently "openning" the crack and appyling "Cryo" glue with sufficient clamp force to close it up though....Tape along the edges of the crack so glue doesn't get on the finish and you should be fine.
usrifle

Thank you! It was a fun little project and one that most people with a few tools could do.
Even if i "hosed" it up it's no major loss with an M44 stock...Get another for 20 bucks.
usrifle

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads