JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for some advise with a broken wood stock. While going through my safe much to my dismay I found one of my rifles had a cracked stock. Rifle in question is a Browning Mountain Rifle in 54 caliber. The crack is in the grip area where your thumb on your trigger hand meets the stock. Not a good place to have a crack in your stock. Any advice on gunsmith to repair or replace the stock.

Looking for some advise with a broken wood stock. While going through my safe much to my dismay I found one of my rifles had a cracked stock. Rifle in question is a Browning Mountain Rifle in 54 caliber. The crack is in the grip area where your thumb on your trigger hand meets the stock. Not a good place to have a crack in your stock. Any advice on gunsmith to repair or replace the stock.
Look up Dennis Smith, The Stock Doctor. Dennis is top drawer.
Located in Oregon. 541- 483-2182
Best,
Gary

You have a few options ....

A traditional "period" style repair with wrapped rawhide...or wire...a brass or copper plate may work as well.
I have seen and done both of these on original guns with a crack in the wrist.

Accuglass works well for fixing cracks....

The Browning Mountain Rifle is a fine rifle...it being out of production may make for finding a replacement stock a bit more difficult.
Andy

Just went through this with an old 1903 Springfield and I highly recommend Copeland Gunworks, over in Estacada (they advertise here on NWFA). Had splitting right at the pistol grip on the top of the stock where steel meets wood.

I shoot this rifle quite a bit and asked Tim to repair the original stock for this 1943 03-A3 for the history of it with this original rifle, and I bought an OEM stock from Nimrich to run the gun with. Best of both worlds.

Copeland does fantastic stock work!

Copeland just repaired a cracked stock on my 1948 Winchester 22 lr.
it was cracked on the top right behind trigger.

You nearly need a microscope to see the repair.

I was very impressed with his work on this and another rifle, so impressed I dropped off two more when I picked up the first two.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top