JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for some advise with a broken wood stock. While going through my safe much to my dismay I found one of my rifles had a cracked stock. Rifle in question is a Browning Mountain Rifle in 54 caliber. The crack is in the grip area where your thumb on your trigger hand meets the stock. Not a good place to have a crack in your stock. Any advice on gunsmith to repair or replace the stock.

Looking for some advise with a broken wood stock. While going through my safe much to my dismay I found one of my rifles had a cracked stock. Rifle in question is a Browning Mountain Rifle in 54 caliber. The crack is in the grip area where your thumb on your trigger hand meets the stock. Not a good place to have a crack in your stock. Any advice on gunsmith to repair or replace the stock.
Look up Dennis Smith, The Stock Doctor. Dennis is top drawer.
Located in Oregon. 541- 483-2182
Best,
Gary

You have a few options ....

A traditional "period" style repair with wrapped rawhide...or wire...a brass or copper plate may work as well.
I have seen and done both of these on original guns with a crack in the wrist.

Accuglass works well for fixing cracks....

The Browning Mountain Rifle is a fine rifle...it being out of production may make for finding a replacement stock a bit more difficult.
Andy

Just went through this with an old 1903 Springfield and I highly recommend Copeland Gunworks, over in Estacada (they advertise here on NWFA). Had splitting right at the pistol grip on the top of the stock where steel meets wood.

I shoot this rifle quite a bit and asked Tim to repair the original stock for this 1943 03-A3 for the history of it with this original rifle, and I bought an OEM stock from Nimrich to run the gun with. Best of both worlds.

Copeland does fantastic stock work!

Copeland just repaired a cracked stock on my 1948 Winchester 22 lr.
it was cracked on the top right behind trigger.

You nearly need a microscope to see the repair.

I was very impressed with his work on this and another rifle, so impressed I dropped off two more when I picked up the first two.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top