JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
During my hiatus from firearms, I developed a strong hobby in woodworking. The idea of building a firearm is very appealing to me (would have to find a gunsmith to do the metalwork for me)...and what better than a set of dueling pistols?

My first inclination is to do something to pair the set - like using ebony for one and white oak for the other (or a myriad of other combinations). I'm currently looking at this task as if any particular wood can be used...but is that true? Are there stresses placed on it that would make any species better than others?

If you know about it in enough detail, I'd love to hear from you. And if you don't, perhaps let me know what types of wood have been used to build the firearms that you've used? Additionally, all of the pistols that I've seen have a relatively similar shape. Are there delineations in design that you'd recommend I research?

Thank you!

Walnut if you are trying to copy a European or an American pistol...
Maple if American....
These two woods have a long history of use in stock making.

Ebony is at times for a muzzle cap or as a ram rod tip.
Here is my pistol that I made from spare parts....Maple stock
Andy
DSC06041.jpg

Walnut if you are trying to copy a European or an American pistol...
Maple if American....
These two woods have a long history of use in stock making.

Ebony is at times for a muzzle cap or as a ram rod tip.
Here is my pistol that I made from spare parts....Maple stock
Andy
View attachment 609852
Indeed, ebony is expensive as hell, and usually only used in small quantities. But, I found a decent deal at $80/bf and have a full slab that I've been trying to decide how to use. A solid ebony dueling pistol...I don't think one exists anywhere.

I do know that walnut and maple are popular choices...I'm going to have to figure out why that is and what other options are also available.

Indeed, ebony is expensive as hell, and usually only used in small quantities. But, I found a decent deal at $80/bf and have a full slab that I've been trying to decide how to use. A solid ebony dueling pistol...I don't think one exists anywhere.

I do know that walnut and maple are popular choices...I'm going to have to figure out why that is and what other options are also available.
Are you trying to be historically correct...?
If so , then Walnut or Maple is your best choice...if not , then the sky is the limit.
Andy

As for "why"...
Walnut is a strong , common and easy to work wood...
Maple is strong and common...a bit tougher to carve , by hand than walnut....
Both were found in abundance in the USA and Walnut of course is also found in Europe.

Style , cost and ease of use I think was the driving factors in the use of these woods for stocks.
Andy

Like Andy said, pretty much walnut or maple with some fruit woods thrown in for good measure. Grain direction in the grip is important, if they're going to break that's usually where it happens as a lot of wood is removed to accommodate the lock.

Given dueling was more of an upperclass thing, dedicated dueling pistols tended to be made by the high end smiths, each with their own distinctive style. Manton, Kuchenreuter, LePage, Mortimer etc... Do a google search and see if any one style intrigues you.

Besides expense, a problem I foresee with ebony is weight, it's about twice as much as maple and 60% more then walnut.

As for "why"...
Walnut is a strong , common and easy to work wood...
Maple is strong and common...a bit tougher to carve , by hand than walnut....
Both were found in abundance in the USA and Walnut of course is also found in Europe.

Style , cost and ease of use I think was the driving factors in the use of these woods for stocks.
Andy
Historical accuracy is of no importance past the overall design and function. Given the upperclass nature of the gun, I'm surprised that more wood options were not explored. There's some absolutely beautiful metalwork that has been done...seems the woods chosen were among a prized few.

Historical accuracy is of no importance past the overall design and function.
Eek!....:eek:
Painful to me , to read those words....:D
I'm surprised that more wood options were not explored.
In my research , I have found that gun makers , no matter how artistic they might have been....
Were somewhat "conservative" in their approach to material and styling....plus they needed to sell what they made...walnut and maple sold well...so those woods were mostly commonly used.

To be sure you if you look long enough , you can find a stock made of any wood...Heck Winchester made a Model 66 stocked in ivory...not just inlays...but both the butt stock and forearm were made fully from ivory....Tiffany was famous for pewter pistol grips.

Since you are wanting to not be so historically correct...use any wood you want....
I wish you good luck with your project.
Andy

Historical accuracy is of no importance past the overall design and function. Given the upperclass nature of the gun, I'm surprised that more wood options were not explored. There's some absolutely beautiful metalwork that has been done...seems the woods chosen were among a prized few.
To be fair the historic high end gunsmiths weren't using run of the mill walnut and maple for high class pistols such as a dueling set. They would have used highly figured woods like fiddleback maple and crotch walnut, and/or they would do some intricate engravings/ carvings.

I built this flint lock pistol stock from a blank, (not a preformed one) , Purchased a Lock from Jim Chambers and misc other parts and barrel from other muzzle loader companies.
It took some time to complete build as it was my first attempt at pistol building.

As far as the wood goes, the tightest grain piece you can get will work better on the in letting. My blank was more of an economy grade maple.
Their are a lot of good books on the subject.

Or you can restock a more modern rifle.

JD-FLP-2.jpg

I built this flint lock pistol stock from a blank, (not a preformed one) , Purchased a Lock from Jim Chambers and misc other parts and barrel from other muzzle loader companies.
It took some time to complete build as it was my first attempt at pistol building.

As far as the wood goes, the tightest grain piece you can get will work better on the in letting. My blank was more of an economy grade maple.
Their are a lot of good books on the subject.

Or you can restock a more modern rifle.

View attachment 609877
Lookin' good Jeff!

Would it help any if I told you I tend to use all hand tools for the majority of my projects? ;)
That is good to hear...but truth be known...
Its not my project...so do as you wish to make it yours.

I wanted to answer your question 'bout stock wood ...and 'cause its me...I went to what was used historically and why...
I just happen to enjoy making and using 18th and 19th century guns as they were made and used...or at least as close as I can.
But again its not my project....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top