Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Wood or synthetic???

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Zrt1200, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Zrt1200

Zrt1200 Mid Michigan Member

I going to be buying a new rifle very shortly. It will be used for hunting and target shooting. What your guys opinions on wood VS synthetic stocks?? Accuracy differences with temp and humidity??

2. Seadog

Seadog Oklahoma New Member

Good wood looks nice but so do some houge stocks. Synthetics are ok but in the larger cals the reduced wieght comes with a cost. More felt recoil. Just my 2c

3. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Depends. On a shotgun, I'd prefer the walnut grip/stock. Just Like the look better. On my rifle I put synthetics on it, because their more comfortable than the wood.

4. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Go synthetic. WOOD tends to be less trustworthy as we've seen this week:bluelaugh::bluelaugh:

5. Zrt1200

As we seen this week??

6. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Synthetic. Lighter for carrying while hunting and more durable.

I am a function over form kinda guy though. Maybe that's why I carry a glock... :laugh:

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I think you mean WOODS! I got it. Well done. :laugh:

8. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

It was an attempt at a joke. Wood being Tiger Woods... not trustworthy...oh nevermind:eek:

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LOL... just hide your Wood from angy betrayed Scandanavian women!!

10. Zrt1200

OK, all i can say to that is DA!!! It is a good joke but I was not in that frame of mind.:sleep:

11. Zrt1200

OK, I will bite on this. How much coin for there stocks??? Roughly$$$

12. Stomper

13. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

For my non-collector sporting rifles I much prefer laminated wood. I find it to be both strong and stable.

14. svg4

svg4 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Very Good joke slipped in. I missed it at first! I go with synthetic for the Northwest. It might be different if I was in the Southwest.

15. zul

zul PDX Member

I just purchased a police trade-in remington 870 and it will have bright orange synthetic furniture when it comes in. I plan to put on some dark walnut furniture which I think looks really good on the 870's with shorter barrels. Now if you're talking about a remington 700, i'd say go with a black synthetic as that looks better IMO.

16. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I know it's ugly, but for a hard kicking big caliber, I'd like to try a Knoxx recoil reducing stock. I have no idea if it's any good. It's adjustable for length of pull, and has a piston which they claim reduces felt recoil by 95% or something. Here's one. I think it retails for something like $140.

I don't even know if it's available for rifles yet.

Anyone know about these - good/bad?

Otherwise I like wood for recoil/weight and for looks. I posted this in another thread, but I just bought these walnut NOS pieces for a defensive/hunting 22" rifled barrel shotgun. I think I'm in love. :)

zzzzzzzzaaa.jpg

17. dario541

dario541 medford, or 97504 Member

Synthetic is stronger, resists moisture and splitting, and is generally better for use than wood. Wood looks better. I've heard it said: "Wood for show and synthetic for go!"

18. Stomper

LOL... s'true! I bought a used 28" Mossberg-500 configured for duck/geese hunting that came with wood furniture, swapped it out for the Mossberg black synthetic furniture... good thing too... lost my footing in 3' of water and down/under it went (albiet for less that one second), but wood can get swollen/moldy under those conditions.

19. rusobr2

rusobr2 prineville,or Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

i prefer the wood, and it seems my wife does too-i changed my mini out to a syn.stock-now this is nothing hi-powered at all,but the grandkids(8 n 10),and my wife really noticed the diff.soooooooooooo, will fix that:(-my hunting guns all have wood-just cuz, the recoil,and i like it -my close friend is heavy duty skeet shooter 98 to 99%-he says there is no way he could shoot a syn. stocked shotgun all day,and he has this cute little shock built in the stock.i guess -to each his own-
    steven

20. Zrt1200

OK, I got it. Most of you prefer the synthetic for hunting rifles. Thank guys.