JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good wood looks nice but so do some houge stocks. Synthetics are ok but in the larger cals the reduced wieght comes with a cost. More felt recoil. Just my 2c

Depends. On a shotgun, I'd prefer the walnut grip/stock. Just Like the look better. On my rifle I put synthetics on it, because their more comfortable than the wood.

Very Good joke slipped in. I missed it at first! I go with synthetic for the Northwest. It might be different if I was in the Southwest.

I just purchased a police trade-in remington 870 and it will have bright orange synthetic furniture when it comes in. I plan to put on some dark walnut furniture which I think looks really good on the 870's with shorter barrels. Now if you're talking about a remington 700, i'd say go with a black synthetic as that looks better IMO.

I know it's ugly, but for a hard kicking big caliber, I'd like to try a Knoxx recoil reducing stock. I have no idea if it's any good. It's adjustable for length of pull, and has a piston which they claim reduces felt recoil by 95% or something. Here's one. I think it retails for something like $140.

I don't even know if it's available for rifles yet.

Anyone know about these - good/bad?

Otherwise I like wood for recoil/weight and for looks. I posted this in another thread, but I just bought these walnut NOS pieces for a defensive/hunting 22" rifled barrel shotgun. I think I'm in love. :)

zzzzzzzzaaa.jpg

LOL... s'true! I bought a used 28" Mossberg-500 configured for duck/geese hunting that came with wood furniture, swapped it out for the Mossberg black synthetic furniture... good thing too... lost my footing in 3' of water and down/under it went (albiet for less that one second), but wood can get swollen/moldy under those conditions.

i prefer the wood, and it seems my wife does too-i changed my mini out to a syn.stock-now this is nothing hi-powered at all,but the grandkids(8 n 10),and my wife really noticed the diff.soooooooooooo, will fix that:(-my hunting guns all have wood-just cuz, the recoil,and i like it -my close friend is heavy duty skeet shooter 98 to 99%-he says there is no way he could shoot a syn. stocked shotgun all day,and he has this cute little shock built in the stock.i guess -to each his own-
steven

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads