JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daughter's boyfriend recently purchased an M1 Garand. He brought it over for me to look at, and I'm not too impressed. It has be "sporterized", and not very well. So he wants to start with buying wood for it. The cheapest I found was the Sportsman's Guide, at $60. Is that good? Most of the other places were north of $100. He doesn't have a lot of money, so price will be the biggest factor.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Well, if you are lucky, you get what you pay for $60 seems too good to be true, are we talking about a surplus piece of wood or something new?

No idea if that wood is new, used, or surplus. His rifle doesn't have the factory sights. In fact it looks like someone has milled the rear of the receiver flat to accommodate the peep sight that is on it. On the good side, the throat looks good, the crown is decent, and the rifling looks sharp.

No idea if that wood is new, used, or surplus. His rifle doesn't have the factory sights. In fact it looks like someone has milled the rear of the receiver flat to accommodate the peep sight that is on it. On the good side, the throat looks good, the crown is decent, and the rifling looks sharp.

If someone with specific knowledge doesn't come along here, register at guboards.com and ask there. If your girls boyfriend wants something that is of collector quality when he's done. $60.00 ain't it! and your going to need the butt plate too. Other stuff I think too. Such as the clips for the upper hand guard. I'd be looking here I think...

:eek: Ohh. :( Eh, get what ever is cheap then I guess.

Leave it like it is if it is still functional. I saw a garand that had been sporterized several years ago and it was not worth attempting to change back to military configuration. It still shot though.

Post some pics if you can. As far as wood check, Boyd's, sarco, numrich and ebay theres usually some on there. Sarco has had pretty decent new production stocks. But I hear some need alot of fitting to work so its a toss up. Then he will need all the metal to go along with it if its not included. Last stock set I grabbed was around 100 on ebay and it was decent. But then all the metal to go along was another 50-60. Aa much as I hate sporterized guns it might not be worth it.

Alot of guys take the CMP wood off their Garands when they come across USGI wood sets and sell the CMP sets with associated metal for around $150 You aren't going to find anything decent for $60. I doubt you would even find a set worthy of going on a wall hanger at your price wish. Go check out the Marketplace here >>>>> CMP Forums There are stock sets currently listed.

Last Edited:
Tell him to NOT FORGET to look for one at the various gun shows. Over the years many Garands have been restocked by owners who weren't happy with the wood they got on their CMP rifle(s).

If.....he wanted new......I would have mentioned

Build & Price Gunstock Configurator | Boyds Hardwood Gunstocks (boydsgunstocks.com)

or

Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore (thecmp.org)

or

NEW M1 STOCK SETS Archives | Dupage Trading Company

Aloha, Mark

PS....BTW.....
thread_is_worthless.jpg

Wow, thanks to all of you who took the time to respond! I'm going to send him a link to this thread, so he can make some very well informed choices.

Hahaa! I've used that same "This thread is worthless without pictures ". I'd take, and post pictures if the rifle were mine or at least a short drive away. Unfortunately, it's neither.

Since it has been sporterized & IF the rear sight was milled off, then it will most likely has been blued. Even if reparked it still will lack the "Correctness" factor.

Yet putting it back into Military wood, I would go with Jim Yokum/ Dupage Trading's 1939 Slim Line set. He can get it raw or stained.

The Slim Line has more a comfortable feel to it.
And the Walnut is a higher grade than standard Boyds.

If nothing else, visit Jim's Websight and view the differences.
And Jim

So I scrolled through the thread and realized nobody asked. What does he want to do with the rifle. What's the goal of buying new stock? Bring it back as close to military configuration as possible? The Op mentions that the owner does not have much money, and that $100+ stocks are a bit of a stretch for him. So that, and current M1 spec 30-06 prices , the whole adventure of owning this Garand may be an expensive one. Yes, they are awesome rifles to own, just be clear on where the road leads.

Well, after all the great folks on this forum providing some fantastic advice, and links...my daughter's boyfriend has decided he's just going to shoot it as is.
Thanks again to everyone! There are a LOT of knowledgeable and very helpful folks on this forum.