JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Scary I go up there a few times a month. Although tragic, I have seen some complete idiots up there shooting and I high tail my way out.

Almost took my wife and son up there today to shoot her new p22 today....

It may not be because of the gravel pit that this occurred. Clearly we don't have any or enough facts to make that judgment but if this was a shooting pit accident I've always thought it was only a matter of time. Plenty of irresponsible people use them, which is made clear by the volume of trash left behind.

Woman shot in head on Larch Mountain in Clark County | OregonLive.com

The Clark County Sheriff's Office is investigating an afternoon shooting that sent a 31-year-old woman to the hospital with a gunshot wound in her head.

At about 3:11 Sunday afternoon, officers and firefighters responded to a report of a gun shot wound to the head of a female on Larch Mountain located in east Clark County.

The woman was on a road near a field often used for target practice, about one mile east of Rawson Road.

She was transported by helicopter to Southwest Washington Medical Center and her status at this time is unknown. Additional details and the woman's name are expected in the coming days as the investigation develops.

News saying she died late last night. Very sad. Like most here, I would like to know what *really* happened. The articles have very little substance, other than the area is popular with 'recreational shooters' for 'target practice.' Was this an accident? Was it an ND, domestic violence or just plain asshattery?

Wow, interesting twist on this incident: the woman who died was Portland commissioner Randy Leonard's daughter. I think he's a &*%^$#, but this just sucks. I feel terrible for the woman and her family, because I can barely imagine the pain that her family is going through. Turns out she had a long battle with drug abuse and apparently shot herself. Her 12 year old son was not living with her. Poor kid.

Daughter of Portland city Commissioner Randy Leonard fatally shot at Larch Mountain | OregonLive.com

looks like it was suicide....sad....her actuall last facebook entry was minutes before she took her life....her last entry "i love you cole" obviously was saying goodbye to her son...

Sad and I hope it isn't used for anti-gun propaganda. Last time I filled out the ATF form it explicitly asked about drug use. Be careful about who you go shooting with people.

Yes, sad that a human comes to this point in their life. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem in most cases.
I would never wish this kind of pain on anyone. Even Randy Leonard who is a bubblegum extrodinaire. But I would not put it past him to use it to try to further himself politically with an anti gun agenda.

A 31-year-old woman who died of a gunshot wound to the head near Larch Corrections Center, east of Hockinson, has been identified as Kara M. Leonard, officials reported late this morning. Leonard is the daughter of Portland city Commissioner Randy Leonard.

The Oregonian reported the shot that killed Leonard was self-inflicted, attributing the information to Randy Leonard's chief of staff, Ty Kovatch. The Clark County Sheriff's Office is waiting on an autopsy to be completed before releasing an official cause of death.

On her Twitter page, Leonard described herself this way: "I am in recovery from a heroin addiction and trying to learn how to live this life, be the best girl friend, mom, daughter, sister, friend and woman I can be."

At the time of her death, she was taking part in Clark County Superior Court's drug court program.

She is survived by her 12-year-old son, who has been living with Randy Leonard's first wife.

Sgt. Scott Schanaker of the sheriff's office said Leonard was target practicing with a friend about 3:11 p.m. when the shooting occurred.

Schanaker said he could not release anymore details on the shooting until the Clark County Medical Examiner's Office completes its investigation.

Leonard was flown by Life Flight helicopter to Southwest Washington Medical Center, where she was later pronounced dead.

The incident happened on the L1400 Road, about one mile east of Rawson Road, Schanaker said. That is on state Department of Natural Resources land.

The details of the shooting are under investigation by the Sheriff's Office Major Crimes Unit.

Fire District 3 and North Country EMS also responded.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top