Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Women Shot While Target Shooting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spectra, May 8, 2011.

1. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

I hope this shooting wasn't intentional and the woman is alright. I wish the article had more details.

3. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Scary I go up there a few times a month. Although tragic, I have seen some complete idiots up there shooting and I high tail my way out.

Almost took my wife and son up there today to shoot her new p22 today....

4. Smoke It

Smoke It northwest New Member

Although tragic and untimely this will be one more outdoor site closed to 2nd amendment folks

5. daiello91

daiello91 NW Oregon Active Member

It may not be because of the gravel pit that this occurred. Clearly we don't have any or enough facts to make that judgment but if this was a shooting pit accident I've always thought it was only a matter of time. Plenty of irresponsible people use them, which is made clear by the volume of trash left behind.

Woman shot in head on Larch Mountain in Clark County | OregonLive.com

6. the puma

the puma Oregon City Active Member

News saying she died late last night. Very sad. Like most here, I would like to know what *really* happened. The articles have very little substance, other than the area is popular with 'recreational shooters' for 'target practice.' Was this an accident? Was it an ND, domestic violence or just plain asshattery?

7. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

Thread already started with title larch mtn shooting.

But yes I agree it was only a matter of time... It's worth paying a range fee for the safety.

8. CJ49er

CJ49er Lake Oswego Member

hmmm, page not found?

9. the puma

the puma Oregon City Active Member

Wow, interesting twist on this incident: the woman who died was Portland commissioner Randy Leonard's daughter. I think he's a &*%^$#, but this just sucks. I feel terrible for the woman and her family, because I can barely imagine the pain that her family is going through. Turns out she had a long battle with drug abuse and apparently shot herself. Her 12 year old son was not living with her. Poor kid.

Daughter of Portland city Commissioner Randy Leonard fatally shot at Larch Mountain | OregonLive.com

10. barrigadaharley

barrigadaharley hillsboro Active Member

looks like it was suicide....sad....her actuall last facebook entry was minutes before she took her life....her last entry "i love you cole" obviously was saying goodbye to her son...

11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Very sad.

12. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

Sad and I hope it isn't used for anti-gun propaganda. Last time I filled out the ATF form it explicitly asked about drug use. Be careful about who you go shooting with people.

13. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Yes, sad that a human comes to this point in their life. It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem in most cases.
    I would never wish this kind of pain on anyone. Even Randy Leonard who is a bubblegum extrodinaire. But I would not put it past him to use it to try to further himself politically with an anti gun agenda.

14. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Unfortunate situation. Portland gun owners will probably end up paying a price for this.

15. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

RIP Kara. My condolences to the family.

16. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

A 31-year-old woman who died of a gunshot wound to the head near Larch Corrections Center, east of Hockinson, has been identified as Kara M. Leonard, officials reported late this morning. Leonard is the daughter of Portland city Commissioner Randy Leonard.

The Oregonian reported the shot that killed Leonard was self-inflicted, attributing the information to Randy Leonard's chief of staff, Ty Kovatch. The Clark County Sheriff's Office is waiting on an autopsy to be completed before releasing an official cause of death.

On her Twitter page, Leonard described herself this way: "I am in recovery from a heroin addiction and trying to learn how to live this life, be the best girl friend, mom, daughter, sister, friend and woman I can be."

At the time of her death, she was taking part in Clark County Superior Court's drug court program.

She is survived by her 12-year-old son, who has been living with Randy Leonard's first wife.

Sgt. Scott Schanaker of the sheriff's office said Leonard was target practicing with a friend about 3:11 p.m. when the shooting occurred.

Schanaker said he could not release anymore details on the shooting until the Clark County Medical Examiner's Office completes its investigation.

Leonard was flown by Life Flight helicopter to Southwest Washington Medical Center, where she was later pronounced dead.

The incident happened on the L1400 Road, about one mile east of Rawson Road, Schanaker said. That is on state Department of Natural Resources land.

The details of the shooting are under investigation by the Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit.

Fire District 3 and North Country EMS also responded.

17. Old Hick

Old Hick Oregon Active Member

Prayers go out to Family and Friends.

I must ask, what did this friend do that was with her? Definitely more information is needed.

Stay Safe.

18. Browning55

Browning55 Seattle-Everett Area Active Member

And too many people draw their negative conclusions based on initial reports without learning "the rest of the story."

19. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

very sad...heroin sucks. I hate hard drugs!