JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
she is still in the hospital from a direct hit to the leg bone.

from what i understrand it was a 45 caliber projectile.

this doesnt surprise me one bit.

a close personal friend is going to visit her in the hospital tonight. i didnt hear this from a friend who, heard it from a friend who.......

Last Edited:
I quit being an RSO at Clark for many reasons and this is one of them. I also really wanted to quit on Sundays when open to the public. I could not stand being around idiots all day and even members. I had to ask 5 people to leave after 2 verbal warnings.

I know it is much safer where I shoot now out in the woods where nobody else is around.

Getting shot is no fun and it hurts.................

Scott, what would you say were the most common errors that were committed under your watch as a RSO (I have never been to a range).

Looking for a good story out of you.:)

I can only share my experience. I've only been there once & I swore never to go back. The idiot next to me kept chambering his weapon sideways with his barrel facing ME!!!! WTF? I told him the first time to "Please keep your gun pointed down range." Next time I told him he was going to shoot someone, some day and went to the 100 yrd range. I'm not surprised in the slightest by this news, I wonder how much they'll be sued for?

Last Edited:
Scott, what would you say were the most common errors that were committed under your watch as a RSO (I have never been to a range).

Looking for a good story out of you.:)

The most common things were on the pistol line. Just like any gun it will jam, not eject, not feed at some point which is when the problem starts. Many, many people would turn to talk with the person they were with and when they turned the barrel would follow direction and then they would be aiming a loaded gun at somebody.

I could not stand that. You have to keep telling them keep the barrel down range no matter what. So many people don't understand that.

Thats when I wish I was in the military again and watch them do 100 pushups. Common sense is worthless at the range. Our boss told us we could carry concealed as long as it was hidden.

But when people keep turning with their jammed pistol and then aiming at everybody on the line you want to take it from them and smack them across their head with it and ask them did that feel good? Some days I have seen live guns aimed at people for hours and they get booted.

Some you tell not to do it again and twenty minutes later they do the same exact thing.

I had enough and I don't even want to talk about sight in days right before hunting. Complete nightmare.

WOW this is a range? Like a Gun Club? in all the years I been involved with 4 Corners Rod and Gun Club in Salem I can count the number of times I saw scarry stuff on one maybe two hands. Maybe $200.00 a year does sort out the rif raf

As a R/O at 2 ranges, I am constantly reminding people about muzzle control. In my book they get a warning and verbal correction, if it is simply pointing the muzzle at a bad angle but not a danger to anyone.
If they are even close to sweeping someone i stop them, expalin what the did wrong in a stern voice and tell them if I see it agian the are done for the day.
Being a big guy with a good country accent makes the impression that they will listen. I have a lot of good teachable moments at these times.
I have only ask a couple of people to leave in 3 years. I always let them know they are welcome back when they understand the rules

and as to this
"I can only share my experience. I've only been there once & I swore never to go back. The idiot next to me kept chambering his weapon sideways with his barrel facing ME!!!! WTF? I told him the first time to "Please keep your gun pointed down range." Next time I told him he was going to shoot someone, some day and went to the 100 yrd range"

You ran off to the 100 yard range to aviod this guy. You also ran away from your respomibilty to maintain a safe range.
Do you do anything to explain how to safely handle his firearm on the first instance ? Did you notifiy the R/O? Did you call a CEASE FIRE due to this certainly repeating unsafe condition.

On my range(s) everyone(s) is responible for safety.

I hope the lady that got shot in the leg will be ok. I don't see any media story about it. The TV reporters would normally flock to a story like this if given the chance.

There is a lot of disdain for Range Officers on the forums. I really appreciate the job they do at my range (TCGC). Almost immediately I worked to get certified on their Action Range so I could shoot in my own private area. Careless idiots scare me.

At a Place to Shoot in Jantzen Beach (indoor range) a few weeks back there were 2-3 younger guys shooting at paper Zombie targets and acting a little rowdy. I was feeling a metallic spray hitting me from time to time. Kind of like what you feel when you get too close to a steel target you are shooting. It turned out the idiots were shooting at one of the steel support girders that is only about 6-7 yards from the line. It was hard to tell at first but I could see little white chips forming on the beam.

I went over and nicely asked them to please just shoot at the paper and they did. Just dumb goof-off types. I mentioned it to the front desk and she didn't seem to care. She said they seemed like 'nice kids'. Crazy.

I have zero interest in public ranges. I would end up pistol whipping somebody with their own weapon

While I understand your feelings. Pistol whipping is in general a bad thing for everyone.

What concerns my is your lack of support for ranges. While you may be able to enjoy the ability to shoot your range at home or other secluded location many millions that do not or can not. Without the ranges those that you would pistol whip will start showing up at your places for shooting. So supporting public ranges may be in your own best interest.
Of course you could become a range officer or a trainer and help train the ones who would be the group of people you would pistol whip. But then that means you would have to be part of the solution, and since you are not part of the solution then you must be part of the problem.

And given your admitted lack of self control I am glad you stay away from public ranges. For if pistol whipping began you would find yourself in violation of a very important rule at my ranges. You will be leaving with more holes than you arrived with.

You ran off to the 100 yard range to aviod this guy. You also ran away from your respomibilty to maintain a safe range.
Do you do anything to explain how to safely handle his firearm on the first instance ? Did you notifiy the R/O? Did you call a CEASE FIRE due to this certainly repeating unsafe condition.

On my range(s) everyone(s) is responible for safety.

Yea, if I don't feel safe I don't engage in an activity. Stupidity can't be fixed. Half the time the R/O's are MIA or don't care.

I love how when an incident like this happens and no one knows the full details people blame the range and its officials its the ranges fault that someone doesnt use common firearm safety so when someone crashes there car speeding after a long night of drinking at a bar no one mentions that the bar didn't cut them off no just that they were reckless an irresponsible

How is it possible that someone was shot at a public gun range, and has been admitted to the hospital, and we haven't heard of this from any media outlet? I've searched (with wicked Search-FU) for 15 minutes and there is absolutely zero mention of this anywhere except this thread. Not ready to call MythBuster yet, but seriously - about the only way I could explain this is if the person involved was law enforcement, DEA, or US Secret Service (in which case I personally know of at least one negligent discharge injury that was successfully hidden from the media).

What's the story?

For the record, I shoot there quite often.

-Thirtycal

I love how when an incident like this happens and no one knows the full details people blame the range and its officials its the ranges fault that someone doesnt use common firearm safety so when someone crashes there car speeding after a long night of drinking at a bar no one mentions that the bar didn't cut them off no just that they were reckless an irresponsible

This one will be easy.

It can be summed up in one word, ownership. I have seen the shift in the direction the nightlife industry has took/been taking in the past 3-5 years. Bars/Clubs are responsible for pouring responsibly. Even after cutting someone off, they still have to throw them in a drunk tank, for their own safety - if the individual resists or isn't compliant then then bar has done all it can. The bars are responsible overall, this relates to the range; having a participant sign a piece of paper isn't enough to ensure safety and that will probably be the big change that E.P. may have to reconsider (in my humble opinion).

People should use firearm safety, but they don't, hence this poor lady being shot! Is it foreseeable that some of your patrons are engaging in shooting without proper training? Yes. Are you providing sufficient training/knowledge to these individuals to keep all your other patrons safe? NO. End of discussion.

As I stated earlier, I've only been there once & I never went back.

Lol I assume you probably belong to a nice fancy gun club with high price membership fees like Douglas ridge, tri county, Johnson creek, ect. But answer this when you pay for that membership and they give you that nice fancy member is card do they issue you a flak jacket and you own personal RSO to assure that you well never be injured ......?
I highly doubt they do I truly feel bad for this woman I can Honastly say I have been there its a horrible feeling, but I didn't hold the range responsible for the wrong actions of a irresponsible person

No, but they make you take a safety course & are extremely strict on enforcing their policies. TCGC is a good example of a range that takes ownership.

There is never a guarantee you won't be hurt, but I can guarantee the probability of it happening there is a lot less than that at EP. Also the clientele at TCGC is different, with the higher membership fees, you face a higher probability of weed out the bubblegums that have the high risk of hurting you.

I agree, I too feel bad for this woman & hope for her speedy recovery.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top