JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At Douglas Ridge we have trained RSO's, but in the club's eyes, any member is a range officer for practical purposes. Any member who sees any unsafe situation or behavior can call an immediate cease fire at any time. That's not to say that I haven't seen any unsafe behavior there, but it usually gets nipped in the bud pretty quickly.

OTOH, I went to Browns Camp twice in years past and saw so much unsafe behavior I will never go there again.

Don't Sue People Panda formerly Sexual Harrassment Panda -

I agree 100%. The more casual and inexpensive the range the more chance of something bad happening. The TCGC threads are full of complaints about how strict the RO's are; well screw that; I'd rather be at a safer range. If/when I ever make a safety error I want to know about it and how to correct it.

Just last night my friend dropped off a 30+ year old .22 for me to clean for him. I asked him if it was loaded and he said absolutely not, it had been in the same case for 30 years. I safety checked it in my kitchen and it had three rounds in it, one in the chamber. Safety guidelines are fine by me.

My guess is in most cases the range would be held blameless and not liable. You assume the risk of getting shot by a careless person when you go to a range. Just like when you get hit by a golf ball at a golf course or a baseball at a Dodger's game. A reasonable person would assume that getting shot is a risk they are willing to take or they wouldn't be there.

While I understand your feelings. Pistol whipping is in general a bad thing for everyone.

What concerns my is your lack of support for ranges. While you may be able to enjoy the ability to shoot your range at home or other secluded location many millions that do not or can not. Without the ranges those that you would pistol whip will start showing up at your places for shooting. So supporting public ranges may be in your own best interest.
Of course you could become a range officer or a trainer and help train the ones who would be the group of people you would pistol whip. But then that means you would have to be part of the solution, and since you are not part of the solution then you must be part of the problem.

And given your admitted lack of self control I am glad you stay away from public ranges. For if pistol whipping began you would find yourself in violation of a very important rule at my ranges. You will be leaving with more holes than you arrived with.

You don't get sarcasm much do you? I think most of us didn't take the pistol whipping post literally.

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

As the operator of the public shooting range known as English Pit Shooting Range, I can say for certain that the purported accident described within this thread did not happen at the public shooting range managed by us.

The LEO range, which is to the west of the public range but also located in the 'greater English Pit Gravel Mine', has been in heavy use. Something might have happened there - users of that range have been known to do tactical stuff. An accident did happen on the LEO range few months ago.

Also know that while the LEO range is operated by the Sheriff, they rent it out to ANY organization willing to pay the fee and get on their schedule – its use is NOT restricted to law enforcement (i.e. police department) use. Private security firms frequent that range.

I have no knowledge of an accident 'back there' but do know that (again), the public range known as 'The English Pit Shooting Range' was accident free!

How is it possible that someone was shot at a public gun range, and has been admitted to the hospital, and we haven't heard of this from any media outlet? I've searched (with wicked Search-FU) for 15 minutes and there is absolutely zero mention of this anywhere except this thread. Not ready to call MythBuster yet, but seriously - about the only way I could explain this is if the person involved was law enforcement, DEA, or US Secret Service (in which case I personally know of at least one negligent discharge injury that was successfully hidden from the media).

What's the story?

For the record, I shoot there quite often.

-Thirtycal

Ok, so it's officially MythBUSTED!

Hey Fry, WTF?

-Thirtycal

would like ot apologize for mis-reporting what i thought at the time were facts.

i will show up in a public place and eat all the hats brought to said place by all who want to watch me eat them for being a douch' on the internet.

was first told that incident occured at the english pit, (it did not) and i am dam sorry i opened my big fat mouth. i was told that is was.

the shooting occured on larch mountain in the woods at an informal, non-structured shooting environment.

911 was called and an ambulance was dispatched to the scene and took the woman to sw washington where she spent multiple days in the hospital.

i have details but am not going to post them as its difficult while eating crow.

the long and short is this:

a person on the firing line had a malfunction with an auto loading handgun and took it off the informal firing line. this person brought the firearm behind the imaginary firing line where multiple people were standing and discharged the weapon hitting a woman in the leg. the entry was higher on the leg than the exit and did hit bone. the projectile was from ball ammo.

if someone wishes to start another thread to humiliate me and set up the details for the public stoning/hat and crow eating, and poking with sharp sticks, i will show up on time and take whats comming to me.

any of the google stalking ambulance chasers who still deny this incident occured can go jump in a lake.

and again, i am a douche' and i am sorry for the sh!t mist. that is all.

Uhhh, short of pistol whipping you as those dudes were talking up thread, no one here would be able to beat you up as bad as you just did yourself I'd bet, take it easy on yourself. This is a minor thing of no real consequence.

if someone wishes to start another thread to humiliate me and set up the details for the public stoning/hat and crow eating, and poking with sharp sticks, i will show up on time and take whats comming to me.

I'm glad she's OK. A few inches difference and could have hit the femoral artery and she'd bleed out fast and be a goner in no time. I've never seen anything like this at Tri-county range although It's probably occurred, people are pretty good with their weapons and I appreciate the range officers for it. And as far as the crack about it being an expensive thing to join, not really, it's much cheaper than the gas to go out to the woods to shoot, and for me, the most important thing is that the lead and mercury stays in tri-country and later gets mined and reused, instead of running into folks drinking water supply.

Even at ranges that are heavily moderated by RSO's accidents still occur. Two years ago at DRRC during their hunter sight in days a guy that was just finishing up sighting in his rifle pulled a last round out of his jacket pocket (instead of the box of ammo he had been using), chambered it, pulled the trigger, and KABOOM, the rifle blew up. I wasn't there when it happened, but, our RSO was there when it did. As I recall, he said the guy was sighting in a 30-06, but the last round he pulled from his pocket was something like a .270. Guy ended up going to the hospital with pieces of metal in his eyes.

I have been a member of Clark Rifles for over 20 years. I have only at one time had to remind people of there muzzle control on the pistol range. Other times on the rifle range people casing or un-cssing a rifle while the range was cold. Generally I think it is the safest place to shoot. It is a good group of guys and fun to shoot matches. I got bored shooting targets out in the woods. I started pistol and rifle competition shooting and enjoy it. On the other hand I would be very cautious shooting around any one else out in the woods. I have seen a lot of scary stuff from 'Gun Slobs' out in the woods.

I have been a member of Clark Rifles for over 20 years. I have only at one time had to remind people of there muzzle control on the pistol range. Other times on the rifle range people casing or un-cssing a rifle while the range was cold. Generally I think it is the safest place to shoot. It is a good group of guys and fun to shoot matches. I got bored shooting targets out in the woods. I started pistol and rifle competition shooting and enjoy it. On the other hand I would be very cautious shooting around any one else out in the woods. I have seen a lot of scary stuff from 'Gun Slobs' out in the woods.
Wow ,It interesting how you can label anyone who shoots is the woods ('Gun Slobs' ) I'll bet you you walk on water too.

Wow ,It interesting how you can label anyone who shoots is the woods ('Gun Slobs' ) I'll bet you you walk on water too.

I do not label ALL people shooting out in the woods as 'Gun Slobs'. I was trying to make a point that shooting at a range is safer than out in the woods. I shoot in the woods too and I ride dirt bikes in the woods. I have seen people drinking and shooting, shooting across roads, not keeping the firearm pointed in a safe direction, loaded guns pointed at other shooters, shooting without an adequate backstop, handing a loaded gun to a person with no experience or direction on how to use it. We have all seen the trashed out shooting areas in the woods. Now who halls coaches, refrigerators, florescent lamps, ect.
out to the woods to shoot? Gun Slobs At gun clubs I started shooting pistol and rifle matches. I have learned so much from shooting competition that I never would have learned shooting in the woods. Competition shooting is a lot of fun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top