JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My grandfather was in the Mounted Cavalry Troop B 2nd Cav Ft. Riley KS. 1926-1942 (with adventures in between) the Mounted Cav was Dismounted in March of 42.

In my grandfathers records it shows him shooting marksman with the .45 standing and expert while mounted! Now how was he able to shoot better from a horse then his own two feet!

He also had the Saberswordsman badge (looks like a CIB but with a Saber on it) Wish he had told us kids anything about his 26 years in the Army 1926-53.

Last Edited:
My Dad was bugler in the horse drawn field artillery at Fort Ord Calif. !938-39 and fired expert with the .45 Auto. I guess he had to as the bugle wasn't much defense.:)
My mother had the distinction of being bucked off of an Army Mule.:eek:

My Dad was bugler in the horse drawn field artillery at Fort Ord Calif. !938-39 and fired expert with the .45 Auto. I guess he had to as the bugle wasn't much defense.:)
My mother had the distinction of being bucked off of an Army Mule.:eek:
Speaking of Buglers, So was my Grandpa WW1 in Europe
upload_2016-9-7_9-55-2.png I still have his bugle albeit it is rather beat up. most of their transport was done with donkeys and mules

In my grandfathers records it shows him shooting marksman with the .45 standing and expert while mounted! Now how was he able to shoot better from a horse then his own two feet!
There really is a Very simple answer, he was Point Shooting rather than worrying about about where the front sight was or anything else.

I've often wished I had spent more time talking to my Dad. Kept putting it off because he was going to be there for a lot more years and then the Big C hit and there was NO more time. He had Two Croix de Guerre from WW-2. I don't know what happened because he's gone and he never told my Mom so she couldn't tell me either.:mad::mad::mad:

And, just for reference the U.S. Army does have a Qualification Badge for the Saber. I've seen one at the 1st Cav. Museum in Texas. They still have a Mounted Unit for Parades and such.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads