JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting self-defense scenario.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/woman-shoots-kills-suspect-with-own-gun-in-attempted-carjacking-police-say-nevada-crime-las-vegas-metropolitan-police-department-glock-guns-firearms-weapons-bullets-ammunition-ammo-first-degree-kidnapping-robbery-kidnapping-conspiracy#

Two women were sitting in a parked car in Las Vegas waiting to go to a party on Nov. 19. While they were waiting, a car parked directly in front of them. Three men got out with guns pointed at the women, yelling at them to get out of their car, the women told police.

One man pulled the woman in the driver's seat out of the car, got into the seat, and tried to drive. The woman told police that the car is push-to-start and the man appeared to have trouble getting it started.

He put his gun in his lap while he tried to start the car, and the woman said she grabbed it and ran away. Within seconds, a man tackled her from behind. She turned toward him and fired the gun at least once.

While on the ground, she said another one of the men started shooting at her, the report stated. She pushed the man who tackled her off her and ran as the other man continued to shoot at her. She said she hid in a nearby yard and heard someone yell out that his friend had been shot. She came out of hiding once the police arrived.

The man who was shot was pronounced dead at the scene, and police described the shooting as a case of self-defense in their report.

Police spoke with someone who knew the man who was shot. That person said he was hanging out with two friends, one of whom was identified as Morrison. Detectives investigated and identified Morrison as a suspect in the attempted carjacking based on cell phone GPS records.

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department's criminal apprehension team found Morrison on Friday and took him into custody. He declined to speak with detectives following his arrest, per the police report.

Police said three guns were found inside the apartment during the arrest, with ammunition in a Glock .45 matching ammunition in a gun found at the scene of the crime.

Another person was inside the apartment when Morrison was arrested, according to the report. That person told detectives he was in the car with Morrison during the carjacking.
c25e6b98-08a7-4dfc-81b2-f97978098e6e-JaylinMorrison_2.jpg
https://www.kolotv.com/2022/12/07/w...rjacking-suspect-with-his-own-gun-police-say/

You just can't tell. Some women are a lot tougher than they look. Perps can't assume all women are weak and easy. Some aren't so much as true tough but gutsy. Others grew up in tough situations that hardened them up some. The latter just aren't to be fooled with.

Poor dead perp, I can hear it in the newspapers now. "He'd just turned his life around." His "estate" might try some bogus civil suit, but in this case it doesn't look likely to gain traction. Not like a junkie who dies in county jail, that's a Free Ride for the grieving family.

Re. the "push to start feature" that the perp was having trouble with. I had to look that one up. Now I get it, and I'd forgotten that my son's Lexus has that deal. "Push to start feature" in my experience was my dad's 1937 Lincoln Zephyr with a weak ignition coil.

You just can't tell. Some women are a lot tougher than they look. Perps can't assume all women are weak and easy. Some aren't so much as true tough but gutsy. Others grew up in tough situations that hardened them up some. The latter just aren't to be fooled with.

Poor dead perp, I can hear it in the newspapers now. "He'd just turned his life around." His "estate" might try some bogus civil suit, but in this case it doesn't look likely to gain traction. Not like a junkie who dies in county jail, that's a Free Ride for the grieving family.

Re. the "push to start feature" that the perp was having trouble with. I had to look that one up. Now I get it, and I'd forgotten that my son's Lexus has that deal. "Push to start feature" in my experience was my dad's 1937 Lincoln Zephyr with a weak ignition coil.
" pop the clutch "

My first thought at reading "push to start" was exactly that - a stronger version of "manual transmission = theft deterrent".

Given that it's published news even outside Nevada, I wonder if there'll be any noticable impact on carjacking rates there.

Last Edited:
" pop the clutch "
Yeah, that was it. The old Lincoln Zephyr would start okay cold, but once in a while would die at a stop light when fully warmed up. My two or three high school buddies along for the ride would hop out, give it a little shove in gear, and off it would go again. This was an extra car that my dad kept in a storage garage not far from my school. We would sneak it out after school once in a while before we had our own cars and licenses. I guess he thought it was okay to leave the keys around to a car that wouldn't run reliably. He was a pretty good detective, he might've noticed fresh tire tracks through dust on the garage floor but we'd sweep that away when we put the car back.

This thing also had a kind of "push to start" thing going on inside. The ignition key did not have a starter motor position incorporated into it. The ignition key just turned the engine electricals to hot. That was a switch on the steering column that also included a wheel lock. The actual starter motor was engaged by a push button on the opposite side of the steering column. That you pushed separately. I think Ford / Linc / Merc did that up to about 1955.

The rigging on my son's Lexus involves a key fob that sends out some kind of electronic signal within a certain limited range. Once you are back in the car with the key fob, you can push a dash button that gets the car going. I'm guessing that's what the article in the OP refers to. But I don't know for dead certain.

I am pretty certain that it's not a good idea to lay your gun down when committing an armed robbery.

IMG_20220411_0021.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads