JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
no but if i needed to i would . you must forget that not everyone lives right down the road from a bunch of jobs when you are in a rural area there is not alot work some people are out of work and need to feed there familys . some people have more pride than running out and getting welfair or food stamps so if you can open your backdoor and feed your family then i say do what you have to do. i know that you probably are the guy that brings all there buddys out here to central oregon for there 2 week vacation from there big city job and camps out rides 4 wheelers all over the woods dosent see any animals and blames it on poachers .

Well shucks!! I live in the middle of the Tioga unit famous for large Elk populations and yes we have deer and cougar as well as bear on the property. We eat the deer and employ the time tested three "S" solutions to the bear cougar and if we find one wolf problems. Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up. I've hunted most of my adult life and I'm seventy two years old now. I don't climb mountains any more but I still shoot and I don't leave home without a firearm.

no but if i needed to i would . you must forget that not everyone lives right down the road from a bunch of jobs when you are in a rural area there is not alot work some people are out of work and need to feed there familys . some people have more pride than running out and getting welfair or food stamps so if you can open your backdoor and feed your family then i say do what you have to do. i know that you probably are the guy that brings all there buddys out here to central oregon for there 2 week vacation from there big city job and camps out rides 4 wheelers all over the woods dosent see any animals and blames it on poachers .

I don't own a single OHV, nor do any friends I hunt with. Hike in & Hike out. I tag out ALMOST every year, and I don't deer hunt central oregon. Occasionally I coyote hunt in the winter in central Oregon. I volunteer on OR & WA public land almost monthly. How about you, how much do you give back to the land that you expect to be able to take from whenever you want?

Poachers steal from EACH & EVERYONE of us law abiding citizens.

Heed your own words. I have been a member longer, have more post and a higher trade rating than you.

Now lets get back to the topic at hand. WOLVES.

So? longevity? trade rating? Meh.
I found this board rather recently. Was TFL and THR longterm.

Wolves.

1) Are far more wide spread than either ODFG or WDFW will admit, even under duress.
2) Might could be mistaken for large black coyotes.
3) Are doing MUCH more damage to game and livestock than will be admitted by USFWS, ODFG or WDFW
4) Are most likely pawns in a MUCH larger and longer term game than 99% realize.
5) have not done even a small part of the damage POSSIBLE when they get a GOOD grip in WA/OR/ID
:s0054:

Poachers don't bother me nearly as much as the bozos who shoot a deer or elk and take the hind quarters leaving the rest to rot. They are an insult to all hunters and need to be spoken to harshly.

See what you're not understanding is these wolves are not the return of the native Oregon wolves, these are a much larger and more ferocious beast (Canadian) that if left unchecked will throw the balance of Oregon wildlife way out of balance.

Canadian wolves hunt the same game as the native Oregon wolves did. Nothing will be thrown out of balance, as wolves don't vary in ferocity from species to species. Larger wolf species tend to run in packs that are smaller than the smaller species, which generally have larger pack numbers.

I was using a cow call several years ago in Northside unit. A couger found me. I didn't know at the time but I could have shot it in self defense. Now I wish I had. He was only about 50 feet away when I was finally able to discourage him from approaching me any closer. If you think there are cougers in the area, you can call them in. They're not like coyotes though, they approach slowly until they are sure of what they are hunting. If you are going to hunt them, don't mess around. Use either a shotgun with 00 buck or larger if you want to get that close, or a rifle round that you are sure will deliver enough energy to put them down on the spot. Good luck and good hunting.

Poachers are scum plain and simple. If people really need meat to feed families there are plenty of unregulated animals available that are good eating. Rabbits are everywhere and tasty, coyote sausage I hear is good, and those are everywhere.

I wonder if you have ever tried to make sausage from coyote meat? Perhaps you would like to try skunk too?

Not sure if its a pie in the sky kinda perspective but I think theres room for all of Gods predators in the woods including the two legged ones. I think it would be cool to be able to hunt wolves. If a reasonable way is found to balance their existance with that of big game and allow ranchers to properly protect their stock (perhaps funds from wolf tags could help pay for the losses?) then I might be ok with it.

And on poachers...get what you deserve when you get caught.

The balance of nature was all here before we arrived and there were many animals. Once we came with guns blazing and trapping we almost wiped out entire species of animals. Buffalo, otters, beavers, wolves, and several others. I for one want to see them in the wild.

My friend that lives in Cd'A ID told me that the wolves that they planted in these areas aren't even the same kind of species that were originally native to that area. He had said these wolves are much larger and hunt in larger packs which makes it even more devistating on the ecology of the area. Has anyone heard of this before. My dad was visiting some friends in the Caldwell area and they had one they had shot that was stuffed. My dad claims the thing was huge almost like a great dane in size. Anyone have any links or info to if this is true. If this is the case it would seem that once again an agenda driven by fanatical environmentalists will have rushed to judgement. Causing possibly another problem. Remember Kiko the killer whale. His whole life in captivity to be set free and die because it didn't know how to survive in a natural environment.

Sounds like you must be a poacher the way you're defending them.

I don't think he was defending poachers but trying to show:

If they can afford the gas & ammo to get up into the woods they can afford food for the family. No excuse for poaching.

is a moot point.

Many of us live where poaching would cost nothing more than the price of a round of ammo. Also while I am sure no established statistics exist feeding one's family probably accounts for the smallest percentage of poached animals. ODFW does believe the poach take is at least as high as legal if not more. Probably the # 1 reason for poaching is because the poacher really likes Venison and and elk and can get it no other way. Simple as that. Illegal game sales probably runs a close second

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top