JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Examples of the true elements this gun arrived in and how the previously chosen camo pattern performed.

PA110022.JPG

PA180049.JPG

This must be the Ruger 77/357/256 project.

I'd like to know more details, too. I like how snug the scope is to the action. 2-7x33?

See related threads regarding Ruger 77/357: Best Modification and "Wolfer". More to follow regarding scope choice, ring height, etc.

Last Edited:
Scope as mentioned previously is a Leupold 3x-9x Compact (later called the Ultralight and sadly now discontinued). Rings are Ruger Low (NOT what came with the gun). Had this silver one stashed, just knowing the right gun would come along. Clearance (objective bell to barre) about 3/16". Lower is better is what I believe in that regard,

Scope as mentioned previously is a Leupold 3x-9x Compact (later called the Ultralight and sadly now discontinued). Rings are Ruger Low (NOT what came with the gun). Had this silver one stashed, just knowing the right gun would come along. Clearance (objective bell to barre) about 3/16". Lower is better is what I believe in that regard,
I have a Vortex 6-20x44 PST on my Howa 1500 with about .100" clearance from the front of the scope housing to the barrel. It was more like 3/8" before I changed mounts. I've noticed a significant difference in accuracy.

At the risk of allowing this thread to become a discussion of scope height, I cannot understand how getting the line of sight closer to the bore can result in "a significant increase in accuracy" assigned to the assembly ITSELF. I trust that was not the meaning conveyed here.

Having said that, I will instantly agree that reducing the distance of the line of sight (read, "scope") in relation to the bore CAN and usually DOES result in better accuracy as a result of including the SHOOTER in that measurement. Firmer cheek weld to the comb is the first result of a scope close to the bore, making full benefit of this important interface (no pun intended) between human and machine. A better "purchase point" so to speak that can shrink groups noticeably.

We shoot better. The machine itself (scope and gun) remain at their own level of accuracy.

With a caveat: Those among us with "fleshier" faces (or more politically correct, "hollow cheek-challenged") simply cannot get down on the gun when the line of sight is very close to the bore. Those persons will necessarily need their scope to be higher than their malnourished counterparts. They still achieve the ever-important cheek weld assist to better shooting.

Secondly, if the shooter's face is artificially distanced from the comb as a result of a scope mounted unnecessarily high, felt recoil is magnified: just as it is if the butt pad is not firmly on the shoulder. Although we have met persons of "substance" (physical) who claim till the cows come home that they are immune to recoil, physiology dictates otherwise. No one escapes its effects entirely. A stiff belt in the cheek every time the trigger is touched cumulatively wears on the shooter regardless of his substance or bar talk.

50mm objectives (and to a lesser extent 30mm tubes) add to the challenge of getting line of sight closer to the bore, despite their (sometimes dubious) advantages.

I strive for the holy grail of dental floss being the "feeler guage" between objective bell and barrel. Sometimes this is impossible as a result of gun/scope shape and relationship (bolt clearance, etc.) or current offerings of rings and mounts.

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing in a television show or magazine ad a scope needlessly mounted higher than it could be, carried in the field by someone who is represented as knowledgeable in such matters.

As a result of my efforts to reduce distance of scope to the bore, (with me being included as part of the"assembly") most often I DO see "a significant increase in accuracy".

The "Wolfer" exhibits the best I could do with this scope, this gun, and available rings.

At the risk of allowing this thread to become a discussion of scope height, I cannot understand how getting the line of sight closer to the bore can result in "a significant increase in accuracy" assigned to the assembly ITSELF. I trust that was not the meaning conveyed here.

Having said that, I will instantly agree that reducing the distance of the line of sight (read, "scope") in relation to the bore CAN and usually DOES result in better accuracy as a result of including the SHOOTER in that measurement. Firmer cheek weld to the comb is the first result of a scope close to the bore, making full benefit of this important interface (no pun intended) between human and machine. A better "purchase point" so to speak that can shrink groups noticeably.

We shoot better. The machine itself (scope and gun) remain at their own level of accuracy.

That was my point of interest. I do better with the lowest rings possible.
I see I'm not the only one.

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing in a television show or magazine ad a scope needlessly mounted higher than it could be, carried in the field by someone who is represented as knowledgeable in such matters.

How about a rail, then rings on top of that?

Drives me nutz!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads