JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We all know your aren't supposed to keep your mags loaded long term to avoid spring memory. However that isn't always possible. Lots of people keep a few mags loaded for home defense. So what happens after years of storage next to your bed? I tested it out. This week I will have the conclusion.

I loaded two sig P226 9mm magazines over a year ago and set them to the side in my safe. One magazine had a WOLF XP 10% Spring. The other mag had the OEM spring. Which one do you think came out on top??? Any guesses?

I already know the answer because the difference is so incredible, that it is easily felt by the finger but this week I will use a scale to get a true weight and report the difference in each before and after long term compression.

Good. Sounds like there has been some recent discussion on this topic. Well I can tell you that at least one of these springs has in fact developed memory from being compressed.

Part of the original reason for this experiment was to find out if I'm wasting money upgrading to wolf XP springs. The other reason was in a Jack Reacher book "Without Fail" the bad guy holds a gun that Reacher recognizes as a gun that had been stolen from a house where it had been kept loaded for long period of time and Reacher correctly guesses that the gun would fail to fire do to spring fatigue. Now I don't believe that the first round wouldn't chamber. That's ridiculous. But I was interested in finding out if a fatigued spring might cause failures to feed when you get closer to the end of the magazine. I doubt it, but I thought I'd do my own little version of myth busters.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top