JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My experience with Wolf ammo is limited to 7.62X39 and 9X18 Makarov. Never had any issues with this brand of ammo. Have some .223 to test in the 182 series Mini-14 and will report on this later. The 7.62 ran well in the SKS and Min-30.

Com block weapons were designed from the ground up to shoot steel cases. I suspect Ruger Mini 30s are, as well

Steel doesn't expand like brass, so you get more fouling in the chamber. Russian guns are built to looser tolerances so the fouling won't cause cases to stick like in the tighter built western guns.

I strictly shoot brass cased in my rifles.

Steel cased ammo ONLY in my AK's/SKS's. Never experienced a single malfunction from any of my rifles from shooting steel casings.

All my AR's shoot both brass and steel. Again, never had any problems. Hell, I have experienced FTE only from brass!

i've shot 500 rounds of the Wolf steel cased 9mm Luger through my early CZ-75. nothin' but good times for plinking. no ftf, no problems.

i shot 40 rounds of some Wolf "match" 7.62x54r.... i wish i had more of it. seriously the most accurate ammo that ive put down range with my favorite mosin. 2 moa @ 100yds, hit steel @ 500yds. not bad for a 100 year old surplus rifle...

now... .45 in my old S&W 4513? not so great. a couple duds and a couple ftf out of 100 rounds.

no problems at all with wolf 223 with poly coated cases. years ago use to have problems with their lacquered cases.

The only problem with wolf is it is under powdered and weak so POI will be lower than regular ammo

Wolf steel cases are softer than brass cases. It doesn't stop the internet myths of broken and worn extractors though.

But but but..... You mean it couldn't be people running wolf (steel cased ammo) that doesn't expand as much, then running brass which does causing the brass to stick in the dirty chamber. I thought that was resolved knowledge awhile ago.

As for the steel being bad- it's "bad" for 1911's as well, will tear up the extractor yada yada yada. All until you see original US ball ammo made with- steel cases.

That is one reason the G3 and C series roller locks rock, they have fluted chambers and tend to run with any type of brass, if they are built to spec

However many of the more modern rimless rifle calibers tend to perform badly with it, mostly due to the lack of draft on the casings ... I have shot some of their pistol ammo, works fine in my 9mm pistols, doesn't work so good in .45 and .40, again, lack of draft on the cartridge.

Did every one else understand "draft on the casings"?

I agree with this poster - look for who actually manufactured the Wolf ammo you're shooting and see what people have written. Wolf Gold is great ammo for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top